Long Live King Charles

Does King Charles make you more likley to support the republican movement?

• Yes

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Queen Elizabeth II was generally beloved. She was probably the greatest barrier for the republican movement, as although she is not without controversy or even scandal, she was generally loved and trusted, and was as steady a hand anyone could ask to be a head of state.

Regardless, that era is over. Charles is now the monarch. A much less popular, even reviled figure. Given the timing of the GG's office being stained by colluding with Morrison to keep his extraordinary ministry appointments secret, I do wonder if now is the time a republic can gain the political momentum to succeed.

So I ask, regardless of whether or not you support the monarchy or republic, does the reality of Charles being King influence you on your position?

Don't want to speak ill of the dead but "steady hand" - oh please! Irrelevancy and absence is NOT steadiness 🤦‍♂️. It's 26 million Australians who live here that provide the steady hand for our nation. It's an insult and cultural cringe to claim otherwise.

The past 3 years have shown the foreign monarchist system is broken in Australia at the highest level and we need our own head of state. The foreign monarchy was nowhere to been seen here despite covid and horrific fires and floods and so failed in its basic duties as head of state to visit devastated regions and console distraught local Aussies. Worst still the monarchist system itself was exposed as flawed and easily and dangerously corruptible thanks to Morrison aided by the foreign monarch's representative the GG easily abusing it in secret. It's no longer we need to change to a republic for symbolic reasons but for practical and democratic check and balance reasons.

Anyway, we should have had our own head of state long ago. It should have been at least decided before QE2 died and at worst timed to change over to our own now that she has. Now we're going to have another irrelevant foreign monarch forced upon us as head of state without a choice :thumbsdown:.

So to answer Fire's question in the OP, this all just reinforces my position that we desperately now need our own head of state more than ever.

ps. We're also going to have to pay to have another foreign monarch's head on our coins and our $5 note. FFS, in 2022 that's just embarrassing and cringeworthy! Charles is no spring chicken either which means in the not too distant future it will all have to be changed and paid for again when he dies.

Last edited:
Tribute from Australian government to the new King.
1/ A collection of ice addicts, facial tattoo people's and dole bludger to be rounded up and taken to Darling harbour.
2/ Cruise ships currently sitting idle will be used to take these people BACK to England.
3/They will never be allowed entry into Australia.

The benefits.
1/Free up public funded housing that doesn't collect rent
2/Free up legal aid.
3/Free up medical,dental and pharmacy benefits.
4/Don't have to use taxpayer's money to support these society bludger anymore.
5/What a great gift for the new monarch.

Poll should read "more" or "less".
I mean I guess I took the risk that the number of people more less likley to support a republic due to Charles would be a statistical error.

What kind of person is going to say no to Lizzie but give two thumbs up to Charles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The poll is odd, doesn't really give you an idea of whether or not people support a republic. The Queens death does nothing to change my opinion on whether or not we should be a republic because I already believed we should be.

Queen Elizabeth II was generally beloved. She was probably the greatest barrier for the republican movement, as although she is not without controversy or even scandal, she was generally loved and trusted, and was as steady a hand anyone could ask to be a head of state.

Regardless, that era is over. Charles is now the monarch. A much less popular, even reviled figure. Given the timing of the GG's office being stained by colluding with Morrison to keep his extraordinary ministry appointments secret, I do wonder if now is the time a republic can gain the political momentum to succeed.

So I ask, regardless of whether or not you support the monarchy or republic, does the reality of Charles being King influence you on your position?
Reviled? Suspect his unpopularity has faded given his support for progressive issues (such as climate change well before most pollies) and is certainly less hated than most pollies.

He is not as popular as the Queen so it will shift some people but the vile reactions to her death from some people will make people support the monarchy as a response and the increasing (and well justified contempt) for our pollies will keep the republican debate at a disadvantage especially while they struggle to come up with an agreed workable alternative.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about our public holiday?
Change it to King's birthday. The weekend doesn't match any living monarch's birth date anyway

The poll is odd, doesn't really give you an idea of whether or not people support a republic. The Queens death does nothing to change my opinion on whether or not we should be a republic because I already believed we should be.
The intent was to measure momentum not overall support

Mods - I'd like to suggest a new poll topic. "In the event that Australia becomes a republic, who would you choose as President?"

1. James Packer
2. Greg Norman
3. Scott Morrison/John Howard/Tony Abbott
4. Kevin Rudd/Julia Gillard/Paul Keating
5. Alan Joyce
6. Eddie McGuire
7. Noel Pearson
8. On second thoughts Charles isn't such a divisive head of state after all.

Mods - I'd like to suggest a new poll topic. "In the event that Australia becomes a republic, who would you choose as President?"

1. James Packer
2. Greg Norman
3. Scott Morrison/John Howard/Tony Abbott
4. Kevin Rudd/Julia Gillard/Paul Keating
5. Alan Joyce
6. Eddie McGuire
7. Noel Pearson
8. On second thoughts Charles isn't such a divisive head of state after all.
Imagine if Howard or Keating get the nod, as awful as it would be it's a real possibility too

Back