Long Road Ahead! Rebuild Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

look we could have won Yesterday

stop all the doom n gloom ...bad kicking is bad footy
Imagine if we had lost like Hawthorn lost to Gold Coast today? Then we would really have something to worry about! I half expected us to lose considering Richmond have been going along nicely and it was on their home turf, but I guess it's frustrating to some that we could have won that game yesterday with a bit more endeavour.

look we could have won Yesterday

stop all the doom n gloom ...bad kicking is bad footy

This.

If we kicked truly for 2 more goal we would be 3-0 and this board would be talking about how good Simpson is blah blah blah

Do we have big holes in our team yes - 80% of it is mental/aggression - we need to hire an ex military guy to flick the switch in our team.

Why are we attacking around the boundary when we have a link player like Mitchell in the side? It is insanity.

Why is Hurn playing do deep in defence when his kicking is one real weapon we have, he should play attacking side of half back and let Shep play deep. We need Hurn breaking lines not doing 20m little passes out of full back.

Would like to see Vardy play CHF and push Darling out to a flank. Giles can do bulk of the ruck work.

Sheed in for Masten and leave him in side for 5 weeks minimum. Duggan in for Jetta and also leave him in there.

I see us with a huge chance still but we must play the corridor and give this boundary line crap a miss, and Hurn is critical to our success and is being completely played out of position.
Change those two things and we will be fine.

Why are we attacking around the boundary when we have a link player like Mitchell in the side? It is insanity.

Why is Hurn playing do deep in defence when his kicking is one real weapon we have, he should play attacking side of half back and let Shep play deep. We need Hurn breaking lines not doing 20m little passes out of full back.

Would like to see Vardy play CHF and push Darling out to a flank. Giles can do bulk of the ruck work.

Sheed in for Masten and leave him in side for 5 weeks minimum. Duggan in for Jetta and also leave him in there.

I see us with a huge chance still but we must play the corridor and give this boundary line crap a miss, and Hurn is critical to our success and is being completely played out of position.
Change those two things and we will be fine.
You'd be better off replacing Hutchings and Redden rather than Masten and Jetta if you want to play that style I think.

This.

If we kicked truly for 2 more goal we would be 3-0 and this board would be talking about how good Simpson is blah blah blah

Do we have big holes in our team yes - 80% of it is mental/aggression - we need to hire an ex military guy to flick the switch in our team.

I get what you are saying but if we kicked two more goals instead of points we still would have lost by a point.

Don't think we need an ex military guy. Our team lacks speed and x factor.
Natanui was our x factor. Who is it now?

Our midfield has 1 quick player in shuey.
All others are average to slow speed except Jetta who won't run and take on the opposition.

Not sure just leaving Duggan in the side is the greatest idea. We did that in 2016 and look how that went

This threads OP is ridiculous.

We lost to a side travelling well with arguably the best player in the comp currently on fire in the wet at the MCG by a small margin.

We've only played one excellent quarter all season which was the fourth against North, what we lack is four quarter efforts. They'll gel and we have two very winnable games coming up.

You'd be better off replacing Hutchings and Redden rather than Masten and Jetta if you want to play that style I think.

We were playing that style last year, why have we changed it? Until Jetta's work ethic improves by 80% which it hasn't in his career so far then no game style suits him.
Speed of ball movement is far more important than the speed of players running. We are very slow moving the ball.

I ask the question what happened to the forward press that was previously used!

It doesn't work at the MCG. We get lost on transferring from defence to attack and end up with 1 forward on 2 defenders for the long bomb in rinse and repeat. Because we have very few players willing to take the game on and run and carry. Its basically only Shuey & Nelson that provide dash while Gaff, Masten, Redden, Hutchings & Priddis provide slow floating passes that don't put us ahead of the defence on transition.

In 2015 Wellingham & Shep both provided dash out of defence as well as Shuey in the guts. Jetta could do this and while his kicking can break up zones and be pin point over 40m it does not have the same affect as run and carry on the MCG.

Whereas the above scenario of working hard to get it forward then bombing or just plain kicking to a 2 on1 or 3 on 2 always equals spare man to start the run out of defence for the opposition that why in 3 seconds we have a boundary throw in in their half forward/forward line after what looked like a promising venture forward for us.

Apart from the Richmond game in 2015 where our web worked well (The web must have been worked out as I can only assume that is why we sacrificed it last year to bring in an underdone Mackenzie) all other MCG games have been a carbon copy for us bringing the ball forward. Slow and painful and not wanting to kick long to then having to kick long to out numbered contest. While the other team tucks the ball under the arm has no fear in kicking long at other times to contests because they always get even numbers to that contest.

But Saturday was a "How many slow average skilled players can 1 team carry into a contest?" Redden Hutchings Priddis Gaff Masten all are pretty slow and uninspiring with the ball in hand.

Edit - Sorry yes on reply to OP no we don't need a rebuild the only thing annoying about that game on Saturday is team selection and the fact we couldn't play the MCG...again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost to a side travelling well with arguably the best player in the comp currently on fire in the wet at the MCG by a small margin.

We have a good solid squad who have shown good solid form for a good solid number of years. It is likely we will have a good solid year finishing a good solid 6th. No better, because we consistently fail to win games such as the weekend.

Last edited:
It doesn't work at the MCG. We get lost on transferring from defence to attack and end up with 1 forward on 2 defenders for the long bomb in rinse and repeat. Because we have very few players willing to take the game on and run and carry. Its basically only Shuey & Nelson that provide dash while Gaff, Masten, Redden, Hutchings & Priddis provide slow floating passes that don't put us ahead of the defence on transition.

In 2015 Wellingham & Shep both provided dash out of defence as well as Shuey in the guts. Jetta could do this and while his kicking can break up zones and be pin point over 40m it does not have the same affect as run and carry on the MCG.

Whereas the above scenario of working hard to get it forward then bombing or just plain kicking to a 2 on1 or 3 on 2 always equals spare man to start the run out of defence for the opposition that why in 3 seconds we have a boundary throw in in their half forward/forward line after what looked like a promising venture forward for us.

Apart from the Richmond game in 2015 where our web worked well (The web must have been worked out as I can only assume that is why we sacrificed it last year to bring in an underdone Mackenzie) all other MCG games have been a carbon copy for us bringing the ball forward. Slow and painful and not wanting to kick long to then having to kick long to out numbered contest. While the other team tucks the ball under the arm has no fear in kicking long at other times to contests because they always get even numbers to that contest.

But Saturday was a "How many slow average skilled players can 1 team carry into a contest?" Redden Hutchings Priddis Gaff Masten all are pretty slow and uninspiring with the ball in hand.

Edit - Sorry yes on reply to OP no we don't need a rebuild the only thing annoying about that game on Saturday is team selection and the fact we couldn't play the MCG...again.
You would think Simmo would have a fair idea on how to play the 'G' seeing as he used to play for North (& was assistant coach at the Hawks as well) or did they not play on the 'G' much as well? It just has to be a combination of a mental block and lack of coaching.

I think when we dissect players form we should disregard Domain form and concentrate on away form.Some of these muppets tear it up at Domain then go goo goo interstate.Seriously Darlings attack on the contest is appalling.He is supposed to be the man to take pressure off Kennedy but he needs a solid stint in tyhe WAFL.Kennedy is not a superstar he is a workhorse and needs support.Why hasnt Watson got a game? Duggan will hopefully get into the side soon.A lot of people question him but when he first started i said he is the best player we have recruited since Judd.Whether he can consistently bring it to the table is a moot point.I hope so.Get Sheed in and LEAVE HIM IN.I dont know how Cole is tracking at EP but we need to fast track him.We need his toughness and agression.Run Nelson through the middle,try Mackenzie as a forward he takes a great grab and his passing clangers wont hurt us as much.It seems to be a consistent theme on these boards that Gaff Priddis Hutching Mitchell Reddan and Jetta cant all be in this team at the same time; do we all know something the Eagles coaching staff dont??.Yes i know,we will probably beat Sydney and Priddis will get 30 possessions [11 clangers ] and Gaff will get 35 possessions and people will rub their hands with glee and go 'We're Back'.But we're not you know!.

We have a good solid squad who have shown good solid form for a good solid number of years. It is likely we will have a good solid year finishing a good solid 6th. No better, because we consistently fail to win games such as the weekend.
......... which will give us pick ~13 and, at best, a good solid player.

Yeah I'm starting to think that the ability to run the ball through the midfield to break zones is the most important aspect of footy these days.

We used to froth on the idea of pinpoint kicking but it doesn't work in hotly contested games.

It's like rugby now. Breaking through congestion in waves and running the ball up the guts to the 50m arc seems to be the way to win these days.

So you need hard running, strong contested mids with quick hands. Don't think it even matters if they can kick that well or not. It's a handballing game now

Yeah I'm starting to think that the ability to run the ball through the midfield to break zones is the most important aspect of footy these days.

We used to froth on the idea of pinpoint kicking but it doesn't work in hotly contested games.

It's like rugby now. Breaking through congestion in waves and running the ball up the guts to the 50m arc seems to be the way to win these days.

So you need hard running, strong contested mids with quick hands. Don't think it even matters if they can kick that well or not. It's a handballing game now

Which is what Hawthorn and Clarko are finding out now. They didn't use to value contested ball as much previously since they could feed off opposition turnovers and cut through zones with their pinpoint kicking but now that the game has evolved to contested ball scrap, if you don't have a midfield capable of digging in and winning the ground ball, you're ****ed. IMO, we are in between the two game plans atm. Simmo seems to value the contested ball game (always mentions it in his pressers) and we can go toe to toe with the opposition when our players dig in but we are more suited to the free flowing uncontested game atm and often we revert to that style in games. If we can somehow get consistency in our contested ball game (like in 2015), we would look a shitload better but the question is if Simmo can extract the consistency out of this group.

Last edited:
I'm the first to bag masten but i thought he has been good this year.

Good laugh all the melts though. There is no way we are doing a rebuild

Darling 24
Shuey 26
Gaff 24
Gov 24
Barrass 21
Sheed 21
Nic Nat 26
Shep 25

Just calm down everyone.

We've only played one game at Subi and we will carve up teams the rest of the year there. And I cant wait to see us destroy more at new stadium when we can add extra 20,000 supporters *Just imagine the free kick ride then*
This is a ridiculous to be talking rebuild. Eagles have all the equipment to win the flag. A poor day on Saturday but you have a fantastic forward line that probably needs a crumbling type iintroduced to help keep the ball in your forward area and create turnovers. You also need to introduce a little more leg speed, especially off half back.

You're one of the real chances. Jetta is lazy. Replace him with a quick player who is willing to gut run and a little tweaking elsewhere and you will be in it at the pointy end.

Good post.

Part of me would like to see what Wellingham can do as a small forward. He has pace, reads the play well and has plenty of mongrel.

Give him an instruction to work up the ground in almost a LeCras style role and provide run and carry wherever possible. With Jetta now apparently incapable of running, Wellers is probably the only player on our list capable of kicking a Dan Butler style coast-to-coast goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back