Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Hey all,

As I may have mentioned before I have become a rugby league referee this season. One of the things I used to love as a kid was the referee's jerseys, and the shirts of AFL umpires too (back in my day they were the white with red and blue sashes). As part of my eagerness to create a resource for NRL/ARL/NSWRL jersey history, and to possibly assist with helping to augment the existing AFL history with umpire uniforms, I am requesting assistance in finding videos and photos of these uniforms, and as many possible variations as worn, as well as the chronology.

Please feel free to share anything that may help, and I will begin slowly building up this collection and templates, etc.

Cheers!

Hey all,

As I may have mentioned before I have become a rugby league referee this season. One of the things I used to love as a kid was the referee's jerseys, and the shirts of AFL umpires too (back in my day they were the white with red and blue sashes). As part of my eagerness to create a resource for NRL/ARL/NSWRL jersey history, and to possibly assist with helping to augment the existing AFL history with umpire uniforms, I am requesting assistance in finding videos and photos of these uniforms, and as many possible variations as worn, as well as the chronology.

Please feel free to share anything that may help, and I will begin slowly building up this collection and templates, etc.

Cheers!
I have some artwork files of the NRL ref uniforms from like 2005 if you want them.

How did you stumble across those?! Yes please
Good old Rugby League 2! Also I have the ESL uniforms. White kit is the rep referee uniform.
TqBc4YL.png
fGJtjpW.png

z9Crusf.png
oZxPHvh.png

VFL umpires used White business shirts for the longest time.
Usually that meant rolling up the long sleeves.
From what I can tell, White polo shirts were first used in 1973.This appears to have the old VFL monogram
1976 the Big V VFL monogram replaced it on the pocket
1980 the VFL webbing down the sleeves with three VFL logos
1990 AFL logo and striping

From what I can tell, White polo shirts were first used in 1973.This appears to have the old VFL monogram
Cheers

When you say "VFL webbing" what exactly do you mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Rab, I did this a while back for Mero's sponsor database but I haven't actually found a good use for it yet. It may help you. The yellow shaded areas are where I haven't actually photo-checked what the umpires wore that year (although it's made pretty clear a few posts up!)

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 23.20.01.png

Hey Rab, I did this a while back for Mero's sponsor database but I haven't actually found a good use for it yet. It may help you. The yellow shaded areas are where I haven't actually photo-checked what the umpires wore that year (although it's made pretty clear a few posts up!)

View attachment 246608
Much appreciated mate. I'm currently helping pack samples so this is on hold for a week or two but I am actively working on it, just won't have much to show for it.

Is this the VFL monogram by any chance. (Apologies about the pixels, made it in paint.)
upload_2016-5-22_20-9-16.png

View attachment 246608
You could probably call that Rainer Wolfcastle's spreadsheet now, given he made it, and is now a member here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back