Remove this Banner Ad

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Didcot, Yateley, Winnersh, Taplow
anyone been in this situation while being educated/skilled/experienced?

how the * do you get a job these days?

how can the average shitkicker get in before it's advertised, though?

work out where you want to target and approach them

do you have any mates working anywhere you can get a resume too or get them to talk to a manager

hit the phones/pavement

its ******* hard

have youn got drivers license/transport and any quals/licenses eg white card etc?

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Was in this situation living in Sydney a while ago. Best I could find was work as a chugger (charity mugger) - better off slugging it out on the dole! Ended up heading back to Perth to live with family.

Had a degree, recent experience in related work, but the commencement of a severe and long job downturn in that field and I had very little shitkicker work experience. Without having friends and/or family in the right places it was bloody hard.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Catch 22 - You need the experience to start the job but can't get the experience without the job

I have post-graduate qualifications and can't even get business/office manager interviews, let alone the job. I'm literally more qualified than the people looking at my application in these specific cases. It only needs a diploma! They find a niche system you've never used (that's easily trained) then say they have a more suitable applicant (their mate).

The job market here is ridiculous. Nepotism is the only way to get anywhere, without that, you're f*cked

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Had a degree, recent experience in related work, but the commencement of a severe and long job downturn in that field and I had very little shitkicker work experience. Without having friends and/or family in the right places it was bloody hard.

I had trouble getting a professional job after uni but worked all the way through school and uni so had the s**t kicker experience and could just leave the degree off the resume to get a job. After 5 years in a professional job though I think it would be tough to find any entry level work if I lost my job now. Employers wouldn't be put me on as I would be over qualified and tough to cover a 5 year resume hole up with lies.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
For the OP I would look into registering for any of the government temp pools. Go around and register with all the different departments. I don't think they care much who they put on. They just need people that are available when they have the project on. I'm sure the ATO for example would have needed a lot of temps to deal with Jobkeeper etc recently. I knew someone who did it for ATO when they made a heap of super changes a few years back. At the time I registered with a few of the departments and ended up getting calls from the DHS all the time hassling me to work for them after I had already found a professional job.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
For the OP I would look into registering for any of the government temp pools. Go around and register with all the different departments. I don't think they care much who they put on. They just need people that are available when they have the project on. I'm sure the ATO for example would have needed a lot of temps to deal with Jobkeeper etc recently. I knew someone who did it for ATO when they made a heap of super changes a few years back. At the time I registered with a few of the departments and ended up getting calls from the DHS all the time hassling me to work for them after I had already found a professional job.
This

One of my good friends found work through one of the government job agencies as now is a very successful BDM. They are looking for soooo many workers. You might just have to our up with some shitty jobs to start with

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Always a challenge, but mid pandemic it's on another level.

You're gonna need some luck.
I'm in WA so thankfully it's pretty normal here, had some good interviews but naturally there's people who were made redundant with 15-25 years experience getting in.

Apply for a job that is under the level of qualification(s) that you have. Ie it might be a basic admin job but will get your foot in the door for the company or particular field you are qualified for.

Also to begin with look at applying for jobs in the Not-For-Profit industry, they tend to take a punt on staff a little more than corporate places do

I had a degree in Finance but every time I applied for graduate jobs they would want someone with a year or two worth of experience. This still spins me out today, how the * do I get experience if I need experience to be employable? And if I have experience then why the * am I applying for a graduate position?

Anyway I ended up applying for Accounts payable jobs. Anyone can do accounts payable as it is basically data entry. But it did help me get my foot in the door in the Finance/Accounting field even if I hated it and didn't want to do it. The money was pretty s**t too. Then I progressed to Accounts Receivable which wasn't much better and then a bit of time in Payroll.

I had spent three years of doing jobs below my qualifications but I had been earning money working full time by doing it and then when I started applying for Assistant Account jobs I had a point of difference to other candidates. Fast forward 10 odd years and that back door pathway helped my career greatly and I have had the chance to work in a few really big well known companies. Recently I moved companies into a Finance Manager roll and one of the things my current employer liked was the fact that I did it the hard way early by doing AP, AR ext rather than going through the proper graduate position, audit pathway (even though it was 10 years ago)

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had a degree in Finance but every time I applied for graduate jobs they would want someone with a year or two worth of experience. This still spins me out today, how the fu** do I get experience if I need experience to be employable?
The job market atm is diabolical. There's no other way to describe it. It won't be getting better any time soon either...

Every single time I am knocked back for 'a lack of experience' I ask for further feedback as to how to get experience given that is literally impossible without being given a chance to gain it.

What do these dum-dums think will happen when everyone 'with experience' leaves, or retires. We will have the least skilled workforce in the world within 10 years the way things are going.

Young people leave in droves to get opportunities overseas. We're obsessed with hiring old people who can't use computers for their 'experience'. Which in my experience is overridden by the fact they cannot use a computer...

Boomers wonder why young people travel for years and career comes second for a long period out of school but can you blame them? I sure can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The job market atm is diabolical. There's no other way to describe it. It won't be getting better any time soon either...

Every single time I am knocked back for 'a lack of experience' I ask for further feedback as to how to get experience given that is literally impossible without being given a chance to gain it.

What do these dum-dums think will happen when everyone 'with experience' leaves, or retires. We will have the least skilled workforce in the world within 10 years the way things are going.

Young people leave in droves to get opportunities overseas. We're obsessed with hiring old people who can't use computers for their 'experience'. Which in my experience is overridden by the fact they cannot use a computer...

Boomers wonder why young people travel for years and career comes second for a long period out of school but can you blame them? I sure can't.
Yeah the market place at the moment would be ****ed for people trying to get in the job force. Unfortunately when recessions hit it is the young that struggle the most

One problem with the old 'lack of experience' line is a lot of managers use that as an excuse when they have either an internal person market for the role, but need to advertise outside the company as part of the due diligence or when they just don't like the candidate for whatever reason but can't be ****ed actually giving some constructive feedback to unsuccessful candidates

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

hah, very good point about the workforce in 10-15 years... interesting.

you really reckon we're better off applying overseas?

like, even in this economy? has anyone ever gotten hired in Europe or England when shooting off resumés in Australia?

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

I basically look at it like this:

No one will pay you if you don’t have experience.

The only way to get experience is to do it for free.

Different industry to finance but maybe similar scenario. Depends how willing you are with volunteering and your financial situation. Ideally you gain experience while still studying but that makes it even more challenging to make any financial gain at that time.

I’m a touch picky with free work, you’d want to have a hell of a passion for it, I just don’t sit well with working for nothing but perhaps it’s a necessary evil.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
This afternoon i got the reverse of no experience, "we feel youre over qualified for this role and will get bored too quickly". I wouldn't have applied if i felt that way you peanuts...

Thank * i have a job, im over the search/job market already. Really feel for those desperately looking

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
This afternoon i got the reverse of no experience, "we feel youre over qualified for this role and will get bored too quickly". I wouldn't have applied if i felt that way you peanuts...

Thank fu** i have a job, im over the search/job market already. Really feel for those desperately looking
cant recall exactly what it's called, but it's related to the Peta Principle. basically people at a certain level only hire people below them, even if it's for a job technically above them. you can be 5 smart going for a 3 job and they're a 4 but the challenge and ego all comes into play.

that and I guess they're s**t scared of people quickly departing but that's some nonsense. that changes with economies.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

Define hiring old people?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm in WA so thankfully it's pretty normal here, had some good interviews but naturally there's people who were made redundant with 15-25 years experience getting in.

WA isn't normal. It is being masked over by JobKeeper and double Jobseeker.

Don't drink McGowan's kool aid.

Sep 4, 2020
Tampa, FL, USA
AFL Club
GWS
Graduated with a master's in May. Haven't technically been employed since then. The shitty thing is, in my industry, any job that's posted on a job board has usually already been filled and they're just posting it to pretend they did a search.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Feeling a bit stressed about this. Have had a bunch of deadend retail jobs with small businesses during degree. Graduated with bachelor's of science in Chemistry which seems to be good as something to wipe my ass with if there's a run on TP again but not much else. Don't really want to keep going in the field and just end up with more debt with no increase in employability but having no luck with applications.

Thinking of going back to uni to try and switch fields, but concerned at viability of entering a career path in late 20's.

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Feeling a bit stressed about this. Have had a bunch of deadend retail jobs with small businesses during degree. Graduated with bachelor's of science in Chemistry which seems to be good as something to wipe my ass with if there's a run on TP again but not much else. Don't really want to keep going in the field and just end up with more debt with no increase in employability but having no luck with applications.

Thinking of going back to uni to try and switch fields, but concerned at viability of entering a career path in late 20's.
yeah i'm with you.

I chose a field that was more of a passion and I guess I'm paying the price. my big hope is I'm picked up and go from freelance work to full-time stuff. I do freelance s**t for randoms on gumtree, mate's, people other people know... I've vowed to never work retail or hospitality again simply because it wasted my time.

the most frustrating thing is I've pulled off good interviews – huge companies with 90k salaries, 400 applicants, down to the last five. inevitably, in this economy, it goes to someone with seniority and 20 years direct experience which I of course don't begrudge and respect. but to be so close...

I don't regret my life but I regret how I approached work. I'm desperate for full-time work.

I'm considering doing mental health nursing but I'll be 29 by the time my degree finishes. still young but I dunno. that seems rewarding and there's heaps of jobs in nursing. probably good for a root too in uni tbh.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

In a similar boat, kinda feel like I'm 18 again but without the positives. Im just starting again as my degree is worthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back