Analysis Long time issue of ours

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a matter of bad kicking is bad football. Might as well say that if we held the opposition to less goals we might have won more games. There are also the problems in how we play too, and man, after the Richmond game I don't see anything major getting fixed.

At last thursdays open training towards the end the forwards spent time having shots at goal but the mids didn't . Imo the mids should have been having shots as well , even some defenders like Carlisle Robbo and the ruckmen like Billy and all the on ballers . Even Lonie if I remember correctly didn't practice his goal kicking .

Perhaps over the preseason everybody including defenders should spend an hour at least per week just having shots at goal from different angles because not every shot at goal is from right in front .

The biggest problem with our mids is Richo likes to play them defensively so they rarely go forward .

They need a full time goal kicking coach especially over the preseason. I can do it as long as it's right in front about a metre out with no one standing on the mark. Lol

This year we had two games where we had more scoring shots than our opponents but lost - West Coast in Round 2 and Port Adelaide. Win those two and we finish 7th and have a final this week against Port Adelaide in Adelaide.

It's also worth mentioning that we won no games where we had fewer scoring shots - normally these things works two ways. In 2015 I think we lost three games and drew one where we had more scoring shots. Last year we actually won games where we had fewer scoring shots.

All the stats/algorithm guys on the main board will tell you that goals are more important than behinds in telling you who the better team is, but not six times as important. Now, I may be getting a reputation around here as a utensil-eyed optimist, but this bodes well for next season. We get fitter, we kick for goal better, we get mentally tougher, we win more games, we make finals.

It's nice to get so close to finals with one clear addressable flaw. I'm not sure Melbourne can say the same.

No you are right but all teams could find those kind of positives. It's probably also worth noting that when you kick straight it often leads to the other team dropping intensity and allowing themselves to be rolled easily and it gives a percentage boost. We lost a lot of games because we mentally left the door open by not converting our shots on goal.

No you are right but all teams could find those kind of positives. It's probably also worth noting that when you kick straight it often leads to the other team dropping intensity and allowing themselves to be rolled easily and it gives a percentage boost. We lost a lot of games because we mentally left the door open by not converting our shots on goal.
Yes we were very bad at applying " scoreboard pressure" during most games.
Jump a team early and kick straight in the first half and you usually win the mental battle.

At one point i went through, and calculated that if one in four of our points had been goals , we would have ended 5th or so in the ladder.
We would have still lost to the Cats, Sydney ( twice ) and Melbourne ( twice ) , Bulldogs, Crows, Essendon and Richmond once.

So yeah we'd have made finals.

But we need to find ways to beat these teams to do well in finals, and the kicking accuracy isn't enough.
( Sydney were way less accurate than StKilda last time they belted us. ).

Even if we played finals, swans, Geelong, Adelaide would have had an easy game against us, kicking accuracy is merely one problem of many that we have. Composure and decision making is something more noticeable.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

TBH it seems like most our goals come from our midfielders/half back. It isn't often you look at the scoreboard and a forward of ours is a clear standout in the goals department. Membrey, Bruce, Riewoldt and Billings might have topped it a few times, but generally it's been an even contribution from all over the field, which is an extremely handy thing to have.

The suggestion that its better not to make finals because we couldn't do anything in the finals is erroneous.

Did anyone make that suggestion?

To me the suggestion was "don't go thinking we missed a potential premiership by missing finals ".
The experience would have been enormous .

Better goal kicking would have got us into the finals, but it wouldn't have won us the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back