OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
What is the longest quarter ever? The last quarter of the Roos v Port game was 37:19. Surely that's gotta be one if the longest ever.

Why did it go for so long anyway? Was someone stretchered off?

The second term of the 1998 Round 17 clash between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs went for nearly 39 minutes. The Blues scored 11.2 in that term and the Bulldogs booted 6.3.

That is the longest quarter I can remember in recent memory.

It was a bloody long last quarter between Port & North, that's for sure.
Quite a high scoring game; And some terrific kicking in front of goal in particular by the Roos.

The longest I have ever seen is the 2000 qualfifying final when the Bombers smashed North.

Lloyd kicked his 100th for the year in the last (i think?) quarter and it took forever to get everybody off the ground that run on to celebrate.

I recall a very long final quarter between the pies and the lions back in Brisbanes glory days. Wouldn't be the longest but certainly a cracker of a quarter.

not talking afl here but there was an ovens and king grand final a while back that went for about 46 minutes, cant remember who was playing i think it was greta and chiltern it might have been? but not sure, eventually i think greta got up after being 20 points down 35 minutes into the last, one greta supporter drove back home to wangaratta, got home decoded to check the radio and to his amazement the game was still going and greta were up, apparently the timekeeper said nothing went wrong with the clock and he didnt forget to press the siren, the only explantion anyones had was some kind of bermuda triangle effect came over the timekeepers box

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year the AFL has approved 45 seconds between a goal being signaled and a centre bounce for the TV broadcasters to get their ads in on time. Prior to that it was 30 seconds but ch 10 would regularly stretch it out to 45 seconds. If the TV broadcasters are sneaking in another 10 to 15 seconds then that stretches things out.

The last quarter was 6 goals to Port and 5 to N Melbourne.

Also you have to remember that its only been 2 or 3 years that the umpires now call time on when a stoppage occurs and the umpire has another ball up. Prior to that the clock would just tick away. Dennis Cometti hammered away at this inconsistency for years before it was changed. So if there are 6 or 7 consecutive stoppages like you got late in the game on Saturday night, it might only wipe off 1 to 1.5 minutes off the clock but could take 5 minutes of real time as the players slowly get up from the scrimmage, the umpire asks the players to clear the area and sets himself for a bounce.

I do remember one quarter going 39 minutes involving Carlton. I think it was the game Bomber32 mentioned in post # 4.

I remember a quarter going over 40 minutes between Richmond and Fremantle at Subiaco or possibly could have been the last game at the WACA. Richmond won by 5 points after a bad freo kick in to the shortest player on the ground in Ben Hollands (not Holland) who converted. I remember leading at about the 30 min mark and thinking it was over at that stage then freo hit the lead and then still after that the aforementioned kick in and goal.

From Kevin Taylor's Footy Stats Diary, the bloke who used to provide stats to Ch 7 and Ch 9 footy team a well as inside football.

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Archive/Review09-R07.html

NORTH MELB v PORT ADELAIDE
records are being checked but Q4 is understood to be very close to the 37m 02s high of 2001-R5 at the Gabba when Brisbane played Fremantle ...

It's been confirmed that Saturday night's game was the longest 4th quarter ever but not the longest ever at V/AFL level.

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Daily/Diary.html

Frantic North-Port finish produces longest Q4
The high-powered finish to Saturday night's North Melbourne-Port Adelaide match at Docklands gave us a new longest fourth quarter.

A check of Champion Data records by Darren O'Shaughnessy shows that our record books for Q4 now stand at –

37m 22s, 2009-R7(n)-Dok, NM 20.5-125 d PA 18.12-120
37m 08s, 2000-R19-Dok, StK 14.14-98 v Mel 17.14-116
37m 02s, 2001-R5-BCG, Bri 25.21-171 v Fre 19.8-122

Longest Quarters on record at

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/Qtrs-Longest.html

longest 2 are both second quarters.

SECOND QUARTER
40m 39s 2001-R5-Dok
Bulldogs v Hawthorn * injury to Hawthorn's NATHAN THOMPSON, added time was 20m 39s

39m 46s 1998-R17-PP Carlton v Western Bulldogs * added time was 19m 46s when 17.5 when was scored

[This was the game Bomber32 mentioned]

I wonder what's the shortest completed quarter? Can't imagine it'd be any less than 23 mins.

You'd be right! Here are the three shortest, all third quarters coincidentally:

23:33 Rd 19 2006 Ess v Coll
23:47 Rd 3 2004 Syd v Geel
23:57 Semi Final 2006 WCE v W.B.

There is the Tasmanian State Final in 1967 between Wynyard and North Hobart that never actually finished.

The siren went but the umpire didn't hear it. Wynyard were leading by a point, the crowd streamed onto the ground as the North Hobart full forward Dickie Collins took a mark 20 yards (pre metric) out from goal.
Umpire paid the mark, but goal posts were removed before he could take his kick.

There is the Tasmanian State Final in 1967 between Wynyard and North Hobart that never actually finished.

The siren went but the umpire didn't hear it. Wynyard were leading by a point, the crowd streamed onto the ground as the North Hobart full forward Dickie Collins took a mark 20 yards (pre metric) out from goal.
Umpire paid the mark, but goal posts were removed before he could take his kick.
Tasmania and their sirens...

Bit like the Korean war. Technically it's not over.

Here is a good read about that game.

1967 Tasmanian State Premiership Final: Wynyard vs. North Hobart
The Goalpost Final

The second term of the 1998 Round 17 clash between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs went for nearly 39 minutes. The Blues scored 11.2 in that term and the Bulldogs booted 6.3.

That is the longest quarter I can remember in recent memory.

Yes! i remember this one, every quarter that match seemed to go on for ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back