Longest quarter ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely, the 4th qtr in the West Coast v Melbourne game will never be beaten? Because of the lightning, that qtr went for 59:28! I kinda wish it went for those 32 extra seconds!

I have trouble believing that this quarter could be part of the AFL official records, if indeed they keep records on longest quarters. Why did the clock keep running during the time the players were not on the field? If this is permissible then surely the longest quarter of all time must be the third quarter of the round 10, 1996 game between St. Kilda and Essendon. The game was halted when the lights went out at Waverley and the game was concluded two days later.

Shoe in to break this record today?
Could be a 70 minute last quarter. Reckon its been 30 minutes since he kicked it, 5 minutes left is15 minutes of game time probably took 22 minutes.

Last nights final quarter clocked in at 61:35. This has beaten last year's lightning quarter by two full minutes.
The SCG scoreboard broke when the clock reached 1 hour, it simply read 00:00 and "full time". Pretty special, albeit that clock I think was underestimating the true time by around 1 minute, as it only reached 1 hour with around 10 seconds left.

The SCG scoreboard broke when the clock reached 1 hour, it simply read 00:00 and "full time". Pretty special, albeit that clock I think was underestimating the true time by around 1 minute, as it only reached 1 hour with around 10 seconds left.
Similar to that Isner-Mahut match at Wimbledon that got to 70-68 in the 5th set.

It broke in the 40s, then they updated some of the electronics after close of play on the 2nd day of the matches play to let it work on the 3rd day of play.

Apparently if it got to 76 or something it was gonna crash again though.

If tonights game resumes, where will it rank.
A new record by at least 6 minutes.

That means the longest quarter record has been broken three times in two years.
  • West Coast vs. Melbourne, 2021 (4th quarter) - 59m 28s - Play suspended due to lightning
  • Sydney vs. Geelong, 2022 (4th quarter) - 61m 35s - Play suspended due to Lance Franklin's 1000th goal
  • Brisbane vs. Melbourne, 2023 (4th quarter) - Pending, about ~67m - Play suspended due to power failure

some of the quaters where Paul Salmon kicked bags of goals would have to be up there for longest quaters ever. Salmon played in the days before the goal kicker was on a 30 second timer, he had the longest run up for goal and would always have to adjust the boots and socks before his kick

• West Coast vs. Melbourne, 2021 (4th quarter) - 59m 28s - Play suspended due to lightning
  • Sydney vs. Geelong, 2022 (4th quarter) - 61m 35s - Play suspended due to Lance Franklin's 1000th goal
  • Brisbane vs. Melbourne, 2023 (4th quarter) - Pending, about ~67m - Play suspended due to power failure

It's not a new record, it's behind the third quarter of the 1996 round 10 clash of St Kilda v Essendon by about 3 days.

We need to receive an official definition from an AFL official/employee as to what constitutes "a quarter of football". The top three mentioned instances can't seriously be considered as official longest quarters or else the game specified by GoldbergsGold would have to be the record holder. Would the AFL really put the 1996 game at the top of such a list? This would be precisely the same as including all those no-crowd COVID games into a list of smallest crowds of all time. Time to email Michael Lovett. I hope he responds swiftly.

We need to receive an official definition from an AFL official/employee as to what constitutes "a quarter of football". The top three mentioned instances can't seriously be considered as official longest quarters or else the game specified by GoldbergsGold would have to be the record holder. Would the AFL really put the 1996 game at the top of such a list? This would be precisely the same as including all those no-crowd COVID games into a list of smallest crowds of all time. Time to email Michael Lovett. I hope he responds swiftly.
Right, does it mean continuous play only, or would it include play suspended? The news outlets are including play suspended, but aren't including the 3 day third quarter in 1996.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the AFL officially declared that the moment the lights went out that the third quarter ended there and then, and so the remaining time would be carried over into a two-halved final quarter.
It's listed as a 4 quarter match. Those 2 halves were counted as the end of the third quarter and the entire fourth quarter.

It's not, the play was suspended as it was in WA. The quarter clock stops when play is suspended. The buddy goal, play was not suspended, they were waiting for the crowd to get off the ground. The quarter continued.

I emailed Michael Lovett and even included a link to this thread for him to read. Michael has replied by saying he is going to pass the question on to Col Hutchinson as to what he believes to be the longest quarter in history.

It's been two months since I have heard from Col Hutchinson. I think I might need to gently poke the bear for an update. Or should I say, poke the Cat. Col should be in a good mood after his team defeated mine on the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back