Longest Time you have went without sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant be understated how terrible staying awake feels

People like to wear it as a badge of honor but no badge is worth feeling that terrible

I remember doing something around 45 hours when I was a teenager, done some all nighters then full workdays when 18-20 a few times which wouldve been around 36-40. It gets the hardest around the 24hr mark before I guess your body clock makes it easier to get through the day, but still a shithouse feeling overall

I once s**t myself at work after an all nighter at about midday which wouldve been 31 hours in, was drinking all night which obviously contributed

About forty eight hours. Left Australia at nighttime, having been awake all day. Twenty four hour flight to the UK. I don't sleep on planes. Got to London at about nine in the morning so had to stay awake all day. Crashed at about 7 and woke up about midday the next day.
I did similar a couple of months ago. Being in Heathrow airport in a packed room amongst hundreds of people trying to get through customs wasn't fun after being awake around 40 hours. Came close to just giving up and sleeping on the floor and letting the airport staff sort me out.

Done around 32 hours last year and that's probably my longest.

Done a day shift on a Monday from 6am-2pm, swapped with a mate to do a night shift that night from 10pm-6am, then a few called in sick so I got talked into doing a double shift that morning on triple time. Driving home after that shift honestly felt like I was driving drunk, I was drifting through lanes and changing speeds without noticing, pretty lucky not to crash.

on the gear have pushed through from working a friday (was waking around 7am in this job) to getting home sunday afternoon (lunchtime-ish or a bit after). wasn't exactly keeping a log but i remember pushing through to mid afternoon because i knew if i didn't i'd wake up in the middle of the night and work the next day would be terrible. All up would have been 55-60 hours. it's the only time i've done a friday and saturday night double without a wink of sleep on the saturday.

with no assistance i would say the time i had to push through to finish a uni assignment i had forgotten about. that was just under 30 hours by the time i had gotten back home.

both times i was feeling very ordinary towards the end.

Between 5 to 6 days. Coke, acid, dozens of pills, booze, weed, speed, all the good s**t. Probably had a few moments here and there where my brain completely shut off and I zoned of into space before snapping back into whatever passed for "reality" at the time and decided I needed more chemical assistance drugs.

Slept for 36 hours straight afterwards. When I woke up I had no idea what day it was and could not understand how I could have slept for longer than an entire day.

I did similar a couple of months ago. Being in Heathrow airport in a packed room amongst hundreds of people trying to get through customs wasn't fun after being awake around 40 hours. Came close to just giving up and sleeping on the floor and letting the airport staff sort me out.

Yup. Went from Melbourne to Chicago which was 22 hours in transit. During the 6 hour wait at LAX I got drunk off my head. When I got to Chicago I went straight to a friends place and got absolutely hammered with him, running purely off excitement, adrenalin, and whiskey. Went out partying, then came back to the apartment, so absolutely exhausted that for the first time in my life I started to sleepwalk. Was the strangest thing ever, I was conscious of the fact I was walking around asleep, I actually remember thinking to myself "this is ****ed, something is wrong" all the while stumbling through my apartment. My friends (who arrived the week before) just watched me, they had no idea what to do. They were too afraid to try and wake me. I was talking to myself while I was sleepwalking too. I must have looked insane.

Anyway I woke up the next day and realised that in my bizarre sleep-deprived state I'd opened all the bay windows in the apartment while sleep walking. Nothing between me and the 22-floor drop. Pretty lucky I lived through that.

Did about 30 hours last weekend. Got up for work at 6am Friday worked till 4pm and then had to be at another 1 hour away by 7pm and worked through to about 9.30am. Got home and slept for 4 hours before getting a call again at 4pm saying the needed me to head back out to the job now. Worked again from 5.30pm through till about 7am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On my way home from Argentina a few weeks ago I was awake for a total of 75 hours (with some mini sleeps of about 1-2 hrs)

Awake 8am (10pm Mel/Syd time) on Tuesday 12th November, then 14 hr flight to London and a 10hr layover, 14hr flight to Manila with a 6hr layover, then a 7.5hr flight to Melbourne (arrive 8.30am Friday November 15th equalling 53 hours in transit). I couldn't sleep until 1am on the 16th. It was a ******* nightmare to say the least.

On my way home from Argentina a few weeks ago I was awake for a total of 75 hours (with some mini sleeps of about 1-2 hrs)

Awake 8am (10pm Mel/Syd time) on Tuesday 12th November, then 14 hr flight to London and a 10hr layover, 14hr flight to Manila with a 6hr layover, then a 7.5hr flight to Melbourne (arrive 8.30am Friday November 15th equalling 53 hours in transit). I couldn't sleep until 1am on the 16th. It was a ******* nightmare to say the least.

The obvious question is, why did you go the long way around?

Many years ago, before home internet was common, a few of us did a programming assignment non-stop from Friday night to Monday afternoon. (Well, I think I took an hour on the Sunday and went home for a shower.)
It was a group assignment and because of people having jobs, kids, etc, we hadn't been able to meet in the previous ten weeks or so.
Pizza joints makde a killing that weekend, with about 50 terminals constantly busy the whole time we were in there.

Thread is about how long without sleep, mini sleeps don't count as being awake.

5 Nights, strenuous physical labour the whole time as well as mentally draining tasks. When you can get through it and see how resilient your body is, it puts a lot of confidence in yourself

Got about 10 hours total in the next 4 nights. Had a fair old nap at the end of that two weeks of hell.

when i was courting the wife, i'd do a day of work friday, goto the pub with her until about 2am, stay awake with her until sun up, then i'd go home, have a shower, goto cricket and coach juniors, then play seniors, then back to the pub with her, and we'd watch the sun rise again. then i'd go home and sleep until monday

so around 48-50 hours

Between 5 to 6 days. Coke, acid, dozens of pills, booze, weed, speed, all the good s**t. Probably had a few moments here and there where my brain completely shut off and I zoned of into space before snapping back into whatever passed for "reality" at the time and decided I needed more chemical assistance drugs.

Yes, my record is about 5 or 6 days. By the end of it i thought pistaccio shells were bugs and cucumbers were eels. Nothing a good 40 hour sleep didn't fix.

Yes, my record is about 5 or 6 days. By the end of it i thought pistaccio shells were bugs and cucumbers were eels. Nothing a good 40 hour sleep didn't fix.

O can remember hearing (and... responding o_O) to people who I eventually realised weren't there when I finally put myself to bed. Don't remember much of the previous few days, to be honest. This may actually be a good thing!

O can remember hearing (and... responding o_O) to people who I eventually realised weren't there when I finally put myself to bed. Don't remember much of the previous few days, to be honest. This may actually be a good thing!

I remember doing some strange things as well. Things got so crazy and strange - it's like i entered another dimension where the deranged rule. I'm so glad to have experienced that though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back