Looking ahead to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gutted by the GF result but also proud to have made it in the first place and only go down by 4 points. Looking ahead to next year, I am hoping this GF loss is the making of us akin to the Penrith Panthers who lost a GF before winning the past 3…

I think one of the main reasons teams can struggle to back it up the year after a grand final is the need to take some time away. The players have been switched on mentally 24/7 for the past 10 months solely focussed on making the grand final and winning a flag. The players need a break now to switch off or we run the risk of them burning out mentally half way through next year. It is a massive drain being so focussed on a goal for so long, particularly when you just fall short. The issue is, the players need time to have a break and switch off, however, we also can’t wait too long before re-focussing onto next season as 16 other clubs already have a head start on their off season.

Getting the balance right between taking some time to switch off and preparing to re-load next year is critical and an incredibly delicate balancing act. I am hopeful Fages learned a thing or two about how to juggle this when he was at the Hawks and they made 4 straight grand finals.

As frustrating as the slow build has been at times I do think we have shown incremental improvement year on year and I trust making it to the grand final and just falling short is the final hurdle we need to go all the way. Would love to see some players putting everything they can into getting into the best shape of their lives utilising the pain of the GF loss as fuel over the pre season. If we can add Doedee and one of two others in the off season, get Ashcroft back in the second half of next year and see players like Rayner, Wilmot, Dev and Lohmann have big pre seasons and go up another level, next year could be the year we steamroll the competition.

I have found it tough the past 48 hours to build any renewed energy or hope for next season. Can only imagine how difficult it would be for the players. In spite of the loss, we still have room for improvement from a lot of our young players and our top end stars such as Neale, Daniher and Charlie aren’t going to slow down just yet. Let’s go one better next year!

I have 100% faith in this group to go the stretch again next year, I think we have built a powerful team who have now had all the possible finals experience you can ask for. I am looking forward to the draw for next year and see if we get a GF replay at the MCG and if so that’s the one to get the boys ready for to bury our final hoodoo once and for all.

I have 100% faith in this group to go the stretch again next year, I think we have built a powerful team who have now had all the possible finals experience you can ask for. I am looking forward to the draw for next year and see if we get a GF replay at the MCG and if so that’s the one to get the boys ready for to bury our final hoodoo once and for all.
Yeah I am hoping for minimum of 3 games at the MCG next year but hopefully even 4

For reference these are the 6/6/6 for the fixture

Tier 1

Collingwood, Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, Port Adelaide, Melbourne

Tier 2

St Kilda, Sydney, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Essendon, Geelong

Tier 3

Richmond, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North, West Coast

Coaching is an issue. Arguably got through on talent. But as the Pies proved a champion system will beat a champion list. If it weren’t for the Pies inaccuracy and our accuracy over the weekend we would have been belted by 6 goals.

We still aren’t getting consistency throughout the list. Still can’t defend teams that have multiple avenues out of the back half or teams that prefer to run and carry.

Need more midfield depth or at least test some of the younger players in the guts next year. Looking at dev, Tunstill, Rayner if he can lose 6 kg of pudge, maybe prior can show potential there. Just rotate through a few eap when we are easily on top of the opponent. Need this experience for longer term gain. Can’t win premiership relying on 4 miss and 2 or 3 bit part players.

Would hire Browny to get into the boxing ring with Hipwood. A few rounds to toughen him up. Wouldn’t even so no to just ditching most of the running and getting him into the gym all summer.

Berry to go into the spare parts workshop and get a new shoulder. Hopefully rumours of Coffield are true would be an instant upgrade on Berry.

Need to find ways for Charlie to work on his forward craft when opposed a shutdown physical defender. Starc to be ziptied to him all summer. Where ever Charlie goes I want Starc right on his arse.

Something I’ve noticed all season. We do not utilise out flankers or wingers when going forward. Lost count the amount of times we were 80m from goal with free players on the 40-50m mark on the flanks but instead we just bomb it long 30m out to a pack of 6 for either an easy rebound or if we are lucky a stoppage for a reset. Wouldn’t mind using Fletcher or Berry whoever a bit more out wide to create space inside 50 or even a shot at goal.

Fagan needs to be ruthless this off-season and next season. You don’t perform in the preseason you seen in the team. Reward those who are “training the house down” ffs.

Coaching is an issue. Arguably got through on talent. But as the Pies proved a champion system will beat a champion list. If it weren’t for the Pies inaccuracy and our accuracy over the weekend we would have been belted by 6 goals.

We still aren’t getting consistency throughout the list. Still can’t defend teams that have multiple avenues out of the back half or teams that prefer to run and carry.

Need more midfield depth or at least test some of the younger players in the guts next year. Looking at dev, Tunstill, Rayner if he can lose 6 kg of pudge, maybe prior can show potential there. Just rotate through a few eap when we are easily on top of the opponent. Need this experience for longer term gain. Can’t win premiership relying on 4 miss and 2 or 3 bit part players.

Would hire Browny to get into the boxing ring with Hipwood. A few rounds to toughen him up. Wouldn’t even so no to just ditching most of the running and getting him into the gym all summer.

Berry to go into the spare parts workshop and get a new shoulder. Hopefully rumours of Coffield are true would be an instant upgrade on Berry.

Need to find ways for Charlie to work on his forward craft when opposed a shutdown physical defender. Starc to be ziptied to him all summer. Where ever Charlie goes I want Starc right on his arse.

Something I’ve noticed all season. We do not utilise out flankers or wingers when going forward. Lost count the amount of times we were 80m from goal with free players on the 40-50m mark on the flanks but instead we just bomb it long 30m out to a pack of 6 for either an easy rebound or if we are lucky a stoppage for a reset. Wouldn’t mind using Fletcher or Berry whoever a bit more out wide to create space inside 50 or even a shot at goal.

Fagan needs to be ruthless this off-season and next season. You don’t perform in the preseason you seen in the team. Reward those who are “training the house down” ffs.

Unfortunately Dodongo sees that Fagan doesn't have it in him to be ruthless. He wants to be the father figure.

Berry was poor on the weekend and definitely has some issues with his body, but in what universe is Coffield an upgrade?

Would like to get down to see that game
For mind our systems are not quite there.
A couple times we look for a player and there’s no option
Need to get that little bit more predictable for each other
That is sometimes work rate and willingness to hand it to the player that is wrapping around you instead of burning them and systemic.
We definitely got better in the later part of the season do keep that team first process and we might finally dominate no matter where we play.
I’m thinking prior back in the side as well .
Just on the width of the G
We did seem to try and use the width with switching across our goals.
It wasn’t on and only put pressure on our selves.
The pies seam to not use the other side when they were on one side or at least not as wide as what we we’re attempting .
We simply fell into a bit of a trap in this regard .
This might be one of those learnings
I’m hoping.

I don’t believe toughness is an issue for Hipwood. He’s definitely got some mongrel about him.

My opinion is his slight build is his biggest problem, lack of core strength due his length, followed by an inability to take one grab marks.

Berry was poor on the weekend and definitely has some issues with his body, but in what universe is Coffield an upgrade?
Berry is an inside mid, whose body won’t let him play inside. Kicking can be iffy at times, even on the outside.

Coffield is an outside player, who’s a good kick. Haven’t followed St Kilda at all, to not know why he hasn’t played more. Suspect injuries have played some part. Has needed to work on his willingness to take contact in the past.

If we’re looking purely at a wing position, Coffield has the “potential” to be a better player in that role.

But it would necessitate a change in how we use our wings to get the best out of Coffield.

There can be a strong bonding experience and genuine growth that comes from close losses and ‘nearly’ outcomes if managed well. This is where the culture comes into its own.

First is review, learn from it, own it and then leave it behind. The review is simply treating it like a game and review it like any other game. Work out areas to improve. Then it is done. It becomes part of the general library of learnings from games but otherwise holds no other special significance to the collective mind. It can’t be endlessly dwelled on.

Second is a clean slate. The well worn phrase, past performance is not an indicator of future performance is vital here. Know that you are good enough, but start from scratch in a fresh season. Work on improvement, not miracles or do-overs or expectations. A clean state is liberating.

Third is to refresh. Preseason will come around soon enough. Right now for the next month or so players need to feed their minds with things other than football. Feel good about getting/feeling fit and recovered. Set meaningful goals for every person to come back at a level in mind and body which they build on. Mind and body.

Fourth is mindset. The process is not the outcome. Outside noise is about the outcome. Inside it should all be about the process. Process focus beats outcome focus nearly every time. Desire for the outcome gets you out of bed. But what you do once you are up matters far more.

And Fifth is shared belief and shared standards. Who are we and how can we perform better together. Not better than the team that beat us or any other team, but better than who we are now.

Organisational culture is the key thing right now and over the next few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry is an inside mid, whose body won’t let him play inside. Kicking can be iffy at times, even on the outside.
Agreed on this. Berry getting his body 100% right again would be huge for us as we could definitely use his size around the ball. Seeing him and Rayner super fit and playing inside next preseason would fill me with a lot of hope.

I just don't see how Coffield is much of an upgrade on anyone. He'd be a speculative gamble at best, particularly on a wing.

Agreed on this. Berry getting his body 100% right again would be huge for us as we could definitely use his size around the ball. Seeing him and Rayner super fit and playing inside next preseason would fill me with a lot of hope.

I just don't see how Coffield is much of an upgrade on anyone. He'd be a speculative gamble at best, particularly on a wing.
I’m not sure Berry’s body will ever let him play inside for extended periods.

I’m not sure Berry’s body will ever let him play inside for extended periods.
It's a shame I do think Berry is an inside bull forced out by his body. McCluggage is a natural winger going inside to get more of it. Ashcroft back and bigger can help both get back to where they work best.

Coffield can actually kick the footy.
Gotta be out there to get a kick and Coffield hasn't played since 2021 while Berry has played 23 and 25 games across the last two years.

He's worth a spot on the list as a low risk gamble, but the idea that he's an instant ugrade on Berry is fanciful.

I don’t believe toughness is an issue for Hipwood. He’s definitely got some mongrel about him.

My opinion is his slight build is his biggest problem, lack of core strength due his length, followed by an inability to take one grab marks.
Remember watching Eric in a NEAFL game in his pre-draft year; sprayed his kicks everywhere, but was clunking marks like Doc Wheildon. Dunno what happened there.

Spent Sunday catching up with a wonderful 24 yo family friend.

At the age of 12 he almost died from ulcerative colitis - had his entire bowel removed.

Battled again last year and we though he was gone. Fortunately he wasn't He is one of the most balanced, best human beings I've had the privilege of knowing.

A team that has entertained and inspired us for years feel short by a un/lucky bounce. They are awesome humans, they and we will recover from our disappointment and enjoy the process all over again next year.

Liiiooonnns liiiooonnns
Liiiooonnns

Gotta be out there to get a kick and Coffield hasn't played since 2021 while Berry has played 23 and 25 games across the last two years.

He's worth a spot on the list as a low risk gamble, but the idea that he's an instant ugrade on Berry is fanciful.
Is it though? Yet we are looking at Doedee?

As Briztoon highlighted Berry can’t play inside. He’s forced outside. Coffield is a league ahead of Berry in terms of decision making and skill sets.

Berry has a place in the team as a bit of a utility but I’d rather he runs off the bench and we get games into a genuine winger.

I hope we adjust our game style going forward slightly to at least have the options of playing wide if required. We are good at the stoppage and contested game but if opposition can break even in those areas we don't really have anything to fall back on besides slow kick it long to a pack.

Pies had a better game in the contested sense (yeah stats say it was fairly even but they just had much better quality inside game) but had the options and game to cut us up on the outside. We got hammered on transition.

Remember watching Eric in a NEAFL game in his pre-draft year; sprayed his kicks everywhere, but was clunking marks like Doc Wheildon. Dunno what happened there.
Height advantage and not against 100kg defenders that are almost as mobile I’d guess every second week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back