Looking ahead to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Get fitter as a team, able to run with opposition teams who rely on running the whole game.

Prime example, the Lions women’s team.
Absolutely that helps and i agree we should be. Also think our slow down the line strategy was terrible and baffling. Especially in the gf vs 2 ruckmen.

Get fitter as a team, able to run with opposition teams who rely on running the whole game.

Prime example, the Lions women’s team.
The sloppy kicks out of defence at the end of the first and second quarter are what cost us the game. 2 after the siren goals is a killer.

Maybe fitness was a prime factor. A couple of those instances were just plain careless but not executed by our usual defenders.

Overall fitness should be a dominant focus in our pre season just the same.

The sloppy kicks out of defence at the end of the first and second quarter are what cost us the game. 2 after the siren goals is a killer.

Maybe fitness was a prime factor. A couple of those instances were just plain careless but not executed by our usual defenders.

Overall fitness should be a dominant focus in our pre season just the same.
What's so funny Mighty Lions ?

Just tell me so I can get the full extent of your wisdom.

I honestly think we'll win the flag and do so quite comfortably. The team is at the sweet spot in terms of maturity, we have hardened finals experience and know what is required to win the thing. Ashcroft/Doedee/Payne are massive inclusions to a Grand Final side as well.

To play devils advocate to myself, it's also entirely possible we have a flat year (Bottom of the eight or even miss finals) due to giving everything in 2023 and maybe not having the petrol tickets to go full tilt back to back.

Time will tell but I'm far too convinced on the first option.

I honestly think we'll win the flag and do so quite comfortably. The team is at the sweet spot in terms of maturity, we have hardened finals experience and know what is required to win the thing. Ashcroft/Doedee/Payne are massive inclusions to a Grand Final side as well.

To play devils advocate to myself, it's also entirely possible we have a flat year (Bottom of the eight or even miss finals) due to giving everything in 2023 and maybe not having the petrol tickets to go full tilt back to back.

Time will tell but I'm far too convinced on the first option.
I'm also very confident that barring a few vital injuries we are a home Prelim side at the very least and then anything can happen from there.

I'm also very confident that barring a few vital injuries we are a home Prelim side at the very least and then anything can happen from there.
We are definitely at a sweet spot in terms of experience vs age.

We are not a young side but the only player likely to drop-off in 2024 would be Zorko and he has become a fringe player already.

Rich and Gunston go who could not get a game by the end of the year.

The rest of the best 22 should at worst be capable of playing as well as they did in 2023.

And some players could have major improvement - Fletcher, Wilmot, Robertson, Lohman are the obvious ones. If Rayner and or Bailey can take the next step that would be a huge bonus.

The big downsides are injury (always) because we have had a good run.

The big question mark on that front is Ashcroft and Doedee - if they come back and in good form then we have a pretty packed squad.

I think other teams are going to get better next year.

The big one is Melbourne. I just don’t think they’ll s**t the bed for a third year in a row and they are such a dangerous team that have hurt us in the past.

We have to keep getting better to match everyone.

It's going to be tough watching Ashcroft (and Doedee) return and holding my breath that they don't go down again.

I reckon it won't be until 2025 that I stop worrying for those two. A big reason for the nerves is because I think Ashcroft is vital to our chances to win a GF in the next two years.

Also excited to see what sort of player Fletcher develops into. I can't really picture him in a specific position but he's going to be a gun too.

The big one is Melbourne. I just don’t think they’ll s**t the bed for a third year in a row and they are such a dangerous team that have hurt us in the past.

Won the premiership in both the AFL and AFLW, then lost the next 6/6 finals. Long may it continue.

Not sure they have the growth in their personnel. Maybe Olliver if he gets off the gear. The rest are slowing down. Especially their backs and ruck

Not sure they have the growth in their personnel. Maybe Olliver if he gets off the gear. The rest are slowing down. Especially their backs and ruck

I hope you’re right and it could just be my Melbourne related trauma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Giants are the ones to be worried about, should have beaten the Pies in the Prelim this year.

Not sure about how Collingwood go backing up from a flag, Pendlebury is an all time great but he turns 36 before the start of next season... surely him and Sidebottom(33) should start slowing down, 9 of their best 22 are 30 years of age or older.

They have a couple of big culture killers in Oliver and May.

Depends how long Gawn can keep them all together.

Because if they implode, I reckon it’ll be of epic proportions.

I think the Giants are the ones to be worried about, should have beaten the Pies in the Prelim this year.

Not sure about how Collingwood go backing up from a flag, Pendlebury is an all time great but he turns 36 before the start of next season... surely him and Sidebottom(33) should start slowing down, 9 of their best 22 are 30 years of age or older.
Yup, Giants look primed.

I hope you’re right and it could just be my Melbourne related trauma.
I don't think Melbourne is any threat Brab . Once they looked unbeatable a couple of years ago that was their glory moment and they have many players who won't reach that level again.

But I totally agree with your sentiment re the competition. There are a few clubs that could emerge ,every year is different , we have to attain a new level to win the flag in 2024 imo. It's possible we could if we get the 2 home finals. Making the top 4 won't be any soda.

They have a couple of big culture killers in Oliver and May.

Depends how long Gawn can keep them all together.

Because if they implode, I reckon it’ll be of epic proportions.
Not to mention Goodwin; persistent rumours of that type from credible people aren’t fictional as much as he wants to pretend they are.

IMG_2376.jpeg

Mighty Lions why laugh off such a suggestion as the team getting fitter to be able to run with the top running teams in the competition?

Genuine discussion.

I know I’m not the only one who has watched our team and thought we’re the second fittest team on the field.

I’ve felt, and voiced my opinion for a few seasons now, that it’s probably the main area that’s costing us the ability to win the whole thing.

View attachment 1866728

Mighty Lions why laugh off such a suggestion as the team getting fitter to be able to run with the top running teams in the competition?

Genuine discussion.

I know I’m not the only one who has watched our team and thought we’re the second fittest team on the field.

I’ve felt, and voiced my opinion for a few seasons now, that it’s probably the main area that’s costing us the ability to win the whole thing.

Rayner needs a running coach this offseason. While I understand he's a burst player I still believe we can build up his endurance and contest to contest run. Rockliff did it so it is doable and with Rayner's skills / awareness, this will be a major step forward.

It'll be interesting to see GPS data on how much ground Rayner covers at top speed in a single game.

What's so funny Mighty Lions ?

Just tell me so I can get the full extent of your wisdom.
Probably thinks our fitness isn't an issue, or something.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we have our ladies team running around with a bloody jerry can out on Princes Park after winning their second premiership in 3 years. A clear testament to their dedication and commitment to being the fittest team in the comp, as evidenced on Sunday by (a) their final quarter in totality and (b) the fact they didn't simply try to SAVE the game after they hit the front, they went on with the job to actually WIN it.

In fact, in each of their 3 finals they had to come from behind to win, including kicking the last 3 goals against Adelaide at Norwood.

Complete chalk and cheese when compared to their 2022 Grand Final, when despite kicking with the breeze for 3 quarters, they failed to fire a shot after quarter time. Indeed, our ladies lost each of their last quarters in the 2022 finals series.

So our men's program doesn't even have to look outside the club's walls to see a clear example of the massive impact the fitness of the group can have on overall team performance, and, more importantly, how much that can change in a single preseason. Even for part time athletes.

Edit: Sorry just saw the comments above! Echo chamber areas 😂🤦

I don't think fitness is the issue, it's team selection. Don't rotate enough mids through the middle and play old guys like Zorko
Do you think you solution then is to get guys like Cameron, McCarthy, Wilmot and McKenna to be able to play through the midfield more than they do? OR replace some of those guys in the team with more midfielders, and then having them pinch hit forward or back as required?

We tend to keep our back 6 or 7 fairly stable, but other teams do tend to roll more guys through half back.

Do you think you solution then is to get guys like Cameron, McCarthy, Wilmot and McKenna to be able to play through the midfield more than they do? OR replace some of those guys in the team with more midfielders, and then having them pinch hit forward or back as required?

We tend to keep our back 6 or 7 fairly stable, but other teams do tend to roll more guys through half back.

Swapping Gunston for Dev was a big step forward

Ashcroft in for Zorko will make a difference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back