332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Peel will play there first ever final... If crows beat eagles and we beat dees this week, I could see the coach wanting to rest some key players for QF rather than travelling to Adelaide of a 6 day break... Whilst we might want to rest some keys, Peel will want to field their best team possible for their first final, it's in freo's interest for them to progress to give guys like Snos, Ballas and maybe Crowley some match fitness...
I think that whilst we may want to rest players, we may in fact need some to play for freo and peel to ensure Peel get their maiden final win...will be interesting to see how both clubs strategies next thur!!!

If Peel finish 3rd, they are guaranteed two finals.

I think it is a tough call, but I don't think Ross will hesitate to rest players if he believe it will benefit us in the finals.

It would be a big pity for Peel if they had 5+ players missing from the 1st week of finals.

Theirs no doubt about it. If Adelaide beat WC and we beat Melb we will rest ( general soreness ) 10 players

The Peel team will take a hit but that's just unfortunate. We have bigger fish to fry and that's having our team right for the QF.

Also, Crowley is not available until the Prelim if I remember correctly.

Here's hoping the Crows win on Sunday and we don't have to play the guns. If we need to win vs Port though I think we should go all out for 1st. Should beat Sydney at home even without resting blokes the week before.

I know I'm on the wrong board here but I'm fairly sure there is a rule stopping WAFL clubs loading up on AFL players in the WAFL finals. I'm not sure Crowley or Ballantyne would even be allowed to play because they haven't all year.

I know I'm on the wrong board here but I'm fairly sure there is a rule stopping WAFL clubs loading up on AFL players in the WAFL finals. I'm not sure Crowley or Ballantyne would even be allowed to play because they haven't all year.
If the AFL affiliate is still live they can still play but the AFL will come down hard on a top tier club "resting" to play in the lower comp.

It compromises the integrity of the AFL

I know we're all one-eyed Freo supporters but make no mistake the Eagles will brutalise Adelaide this weekend.
I'm not so sure. Even good teams find it hard to beat any of the 4 Perth and Adelaide teams on their home deck when they are playing anything like reasonably well, and Adelaide are playing well. They also have a very short injury list. I'm sure an analysis of the numbers would back up what I am saying (say results of all teams against the four on their home grounds of all team at least 4 places higher on the ladder when the home side was not in the bottom 3rd of the ladder and had winning percentage x in their last y games etc.) Not having the time to do this I'll stick to good old anecdote: I was at the West Coast / Geelong game in 2011 (one of only 2 non-derby West Coast games I have attended since the 90's. I will say in my defense on neither occasion did I pay for the seat) when the Eagles won in round 16 after smashing the Cats in the first half and surviving a comeback fairly comfortably. That season Geelong went 19-3 and had a percentage of 160 (and won the flag of course)! Then there is us beating Geelong round 1 2012, us v Geelong round 3 2010, I'm sure there are more.
I think Adelaide are good value at 2.50 (note: I see thy have shortened to 2.05), if they get on top in the midfield they could beat them comfortably given the undermanned nature of WC's defense. I have my money on WC, but purely because if I lose it I am rewarded with the vicarious glow of a minor premiership instead.

I know we're all one-eyed Freo supporters but make no mistake the Eagles will brutalise Adelaide this weekend.

If it was over here,yes.
The crows in Adelaide are different beast IMO.The Eagles had a draw with GC only a few weeks back away from Subiaco.

It'll be a fascinating battle between Jacobs,danger,Sloane and Thompson v NN,Priddis,shuey and gaff

If the crows midfield get on top,they'll win,Eagles won't be able set up their web.

I think results will fall your way this week that secure minor premiership for you.

The minor premiership should be getting rid of as its useless.

If the AFL were serious they would reward 1st place, much better as finishing 2nd is equivalent.

The minor premiership should be getting rid of as its useless.

If the AFL were serious they would reward 1st place, much better as finishing 2nd is equivalent.
QF against a lower ranked opponent and an extra days break before the GF are perks still.

But I have been a big pusher for a final 7 system, where 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 play off and 1 gets a week off.

1 then plays the lowest ranked week 1 winner and the other two play off. Winners to the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure. Even good teams find it hard to beat any of the 4 Perth and Adelaide teams on their home deck when they are playing anything like reasonably well, and Adelaide are playing well. They also have a very short injury list. I'm sure an analysis of the numbers would back up what I am saying (say results of all teams against the four on their home grounds of all team at least 4 places higher on the ladder when the home side was not in the bottom 3rd of the ladder and had winning percentage x in their last y games etc.) Not having the time to do this I'll stick to good old anecdote: I was at the West Coast / Geelong game in 2011 (one of only 2 non-derby West Coast games I have attended since the 90's. I will say in my defense on neither occasion did I pay for the seat) when the Eagles won in round 16 after smashing the Cats in the first half and surviving a comeback fairly comfortably. That season Geelong went 19-3 and had a percentage of 160 (and won the flag of course)! Then there is us beating Geelong round 1 2012, us v Geelong round 3 2010, I'm sure there are more.
I think Adelaide are good value at 2.50 (note: I see thy have shortened to 2.05), if they get on top in the midfield they could beat them comfortably given the undermanned nature of WC's defense. I have my money on WC, but purely because if I lose it I am rewarded with the vicarious glow of a minor premiership instead.

I think quite a bit rests on tonight's game actually. If Geelong get up, then Adelaide have so much more to play for. If Geelong lose, and it's very possible, then Adelaide have all but secured top 8 (which is all they've really got to play for at this stage). They wont say it, of course, but subconsciously the Crows will have less to play for. This time of year, the team with more to play for often has that bit of edge in their game that can make all the difference in a close one.

EDIT: Just checked scores and Pies off to a fast start, 2 goals up already. Come on Cats, get it going.

Last edited:
I think quite a bit rests on tonight's game actually. If Geelong get up, then Adelaide have so much more to play for. If Geelong lose, and it's very possible, then Adelaide have all but secured top 8 (which is all they've really got to play for at this stage). They wont say it, of course, but subconsciously the Crows will have less to play for. This time of year, the team with more to play for often has that bit of edge in their game that can make all the difference in a close one.

EDIT: Just checked scores and Pies off to a fast start, 2 goals up already. Come on Cats, get it going.

Crows win their last two games and results fall their way,they can still secure a home final.

Freagle scum! :D

Crows win their last two games and results fall their way,they can still secure a home final.

Sure, but it's about psychological disposition in the moment. It will be a big relief for them with tonight's result. Eagles will get a softer Adelaide tomorrow, I'm sure of it.

I think the Crows can still get a home final if things fall their way, so still plenty to play for.

Sure, but it's about psychological disposition in the moment. It will be a big relief for them with tonight's result. Eagles will get a softer Adelaide tomorrow, I'm sure of it.

Crows IMO will go all out to topple the all conquering Eagles.The crows haven't beaten a top six team this year,this is their chance.The crows beat the Eagles and the playing group will automatically gain great belief in their ability.

Crows IMO will go all out to topple the all conquering Eagles.The crows haven't beaten a top six team this year,this is their chance.The crows beat the Eagles and the playing group will automatically gain great belief in their ability.

Sure. No doubt they'll come to play on the face of it. The Crows will still want to win for all sorts of reasons, but they'll surely be relieved at tonight's result and, as such, it takes a bit of drive away that would otherwise be there. That's all I'm saying

Sure. No doubt they'll come to play on the face of it. The Crows will still want to win for all sorts of reasons, but they'll surely be relieved at tonight's result and, as such, it takes a bit of drive away that would otherwise be there. That's all I'm saying

No doubt there will be a sense of accomplishment that they've qualified for the finals.

I think we are screwed if some of the thinking of this thread is actually in the mind of the team and the coaching staff.

In interviews a few Freo players have been saying things like "we haven't achieved anything and the real season starts in September."

The problem is we still have to get to the best position possible and that comes about by winning games. There seems to be a a bit too much planning ahead going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back