Looking for info on Defunct EFL sides

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello fellow local footy enthusiasts.

Looking to find out some info about a few of the defunct EFL sides over the years, in particular Croydon North, Mt Waverley-Burwood Football Club among a few others that have disappeared without much fanfare.

Give me your info.

Mt Waverley-Burwood is now a part of Waverley Blues. Now sure who they merged with though.
Croydon North went to YVMDFL and now have a Vets side and no seniors.
Mt Waverley Burwood merged with Waverley Panthers. MWB have played at the current Waverley Blues ground for a long time. The Waverley team was out Central Reserve way. MWB have a long history, most of the 50+ aged old boys at WB are ex-MWB. They have a past players day every year which has lots of old memorabilia on display.

I think the merger was due to MWB running out of players/decent committee for a period but always had a strong junior program.

The merger with Burwood wasn't long before the WB merger. Mt Waverley juniors didn't change their name until they became WB, which I think was a couple of years after the senior WB merger. I think Burwood were from up near Holmesglen somewhere.

Mt Wav played SFL, not sure about Waverley, probably SFL too. No idea about Burwood, maybe the old Eastern churches league or something like that which no longer exists.

I didn't think MWB ever played Eastern League until they were Waverley Blues.

Found a link for actual info:
http://www.wbfc.com.au/history.html

Last edited:

Mt Waverley Burwood merged with Waverley Panthers. MWB have played at the current Waverley Blues ground for a long time. The Waverley team was out Central Reserve way. MWB have a long history, most of the 50+ aged old boys at WB are ex-MWB. They have a past players day every year which has lots of old memorabilia on display.

I think the merger was due to MWB running out of players/decent committee for a period but always had a strong junior program.

The merger with Burwood wasn't long before the WB merger. Mt Waverley juniors didn't change their name until they became WB, which I think was a couple of years after the senior WB merger. I think Burwood were from up near Holmesglen somewhere.

Mt Wav played SFL, not sure about Waverley, probably SFL too. No idea about Burwood, maybe the old Eastern churches league or something like that which no longer exists.

Thanks mate.
When i was younger i played Juniors against Mt Waverley Mountain Lions (no connection to MWB) in the old Knox Juniors, they seem to be in the SFL now?

Thanks mate.
When i was younger i played Juniors against Mt Waverley Mountain Lions (no connection to MWB) in the old Knox Juniors, they seem to be in the SFL now?
Think they just call themselves Mt Waverley now that MWB are Waverley Blues. They're up on a hill, so it makes sense. Not sure if they still have juniors. Most kids in the area play at Waverley.

The Mountain Lions are more of a social ammos type club.

Think they just call themselves Mt Waverley now that MWB are Waverley Blues. They're up on a hill, so it makes sense. Not sure if they still have juniors. Most kids in the area play at Waverley.

The Mountain Lions are more of a social ammos type club.

They still green and gold (i think they were)?

I also remember a Mt Waverley Knights club?

Waverley Panthers played at Columbia Reserve in Wheelers Hill in the end. They moved over from Central Reserve after Mazenod took over. Before the merger, we were playing in Division 4 of the EFL

The merger took place in 1999 and has been quite successful with flags in 2000 (Div 4), 2005 (Div 4) ,2008 (Div 3).

We still get quite a few from both clubs up on match days and the past players day is usually a good day.

The Mountain Lions are a completely separate club in the SFL... they have been in the news recently for the wrong reasons...!

Former clubs from what is now the EFL

Balwyn Combined
1996 - 1996
Victorian Amateur FA
Club disbanded after moving after only one season in EDFL
Bennettswood
1968 - 1990
?
Merged with Blackburn South in 1987. The merged club folded after the 1990 season.
Blackburn South
1984 – 1990
Merged with Bennettswood in 1987. The merged club folded after the 1990 season.
Club founded in 1966. Only had juniors until 1984 when joined EDFL from KJFA. Senior club started from a merger with Blackburn Baptist FC.
Canterbury
2009 - 2013
Southern FL/VAFA
Club founded 1881
Clayton
1985 -1998
South East Suburban FL
Club moved to Southern FL at the start of the 1999 season.
Donvale
1992 - 2013
East Suburban Churches FL
Were originally called Donvale United, changed to Donvale in 1993.
Club founded 1971.
East Hawthorn
1970 - 1972
Won senior second division premiership in 1970 and senior first division premiership in 1972 then played in SESFL and YCW football competitions.
Mt Evelyn
1962 - ?
Croydon Ferntree Gully FL, now YMVDFL
Club founded in 1931
Noble Park Bears
1989 - 1996
ESCFA
Club disbanded after the 1996 season.
North Croydon
1984 - 1990
?
Moved to Yarra Valley Mountain District FL
Olinda
1966? - 1985
?
Moved to Yarra Valley Mountain District FL
Southern Cobras
1975 – 1999
2001 - 2001
South East Suburban Churches FL.
Originally called Sandown, Changed name to South Waverley/ Sandown in 1984. Changed name to Southern Cobras in 1998. Club went into recess after the 1999 season. Rejoined league in 2001, only to leave for the Southern league in 2002.
Club founded in 1962.
Surrey Hills
1966 - 1993
Croydon Ferntree Gully FL to 1965
Club founded 1887
SHFC disbanded at the end of the 1993 season. In 1994, merged with East Camberwell FC to form Surrey Park FC.
Wonga Park
1986 - 1986
ESCFA?
Fielded a senior and reserve team for one season only - could have become Croydon North (YMVDFL)
Yarra Glen
1966? -1984
ex-Croydon Ferntree Gully FL? went to YVMDFL

Former clubs from what is now the EFL

East Hawthorn

1970 - 1972
Won senior second division premiership in 1970 and senior first division premiership in 1972 then played in SESFL and YCW football competitions.
Stumbled across this by accident and found it very interesting. I remember watching East Hawthorn play in the early 70's. In particular, a 1st div game at Jubilee Park against Ringwood erupted into the biggest fight in the crowd and on-field that I have ever seen at a suburban football match. My recollection is that it was started by East Hawthorn and that it followed similar behaviour in another league (Federal League?) that led to them being booted out and joining the EDFL. They were booted out of the EDFL but I'm not sure where they went- YCW seems a bit low profile/tame for those guys. Pity though, they were a good football team as shown by their pretty rapid domination of the EDFL.

Stumbled across this by accident and found it very interesting. I remember watching East Hawthorn play in the early 70's. In particular, a 1st div game at Jubilee Park against Ringwood erupted into the biggest fight in the crowd and on-field that I have ever seen at a suburban football match. My recollection is that it was started by East Hawthorn and that it followed similar behaviour in another league (Federal League?) that led to them being booted out and joining the EDFL. They were booted out of the EDFL but I'm not sure where they went- YCW seems a bit low profile/tame for those guys. Pity though, they were a good football team as shown by their pretty rapid domination of the EDFL.

weren't blokes getting thrown out of the stands?

weren't blokes getting thrown out of the stands?
Dunno about blokes getting chucked out of the stands- it was a long time ago and I was quite young and s**t-scared by it all. I remember a couple of off-duty Ringwood coppers who were mates of my Dad getting targeted by the EH crowd. It was clearly a premeditated act. Dunno why though. East Hawthorn were a strong team and didn't need to start all this mayhem everywhere they went, which ultimately led to their demise.

Dunno about blokes getting chucked out of the stands- it was a long time ago and I was quite young and s**t-scared by it all. I remember a couple of off-duty Ringwood coppers who were mates of my Dad getting targeted by the EH crowd. It was clearly a premeditated act. Dunno why though. East Hawthorn were a strong team and didn't need to start all this mayhem everywhere they went, which ultimately led to their demise.

good on them hate coppers. ACAB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burwood was ex South-East Suburban FL

Good to see the rebirth of Donvale in 2015. Starting off in Divvy 4 and they have some good young talent to build from by the look of it.
They were a powerhouse in the Churches in the late 80's, early 90's before crossing to the EFL.
I remember them playing Clayton in the 1996 finals series and Dean Greig sorting a few out, when he was capt/coach of Clayton.

EFL Forum now defunct as of April 10th. Maybe it's time had come but what a lousy way for the EFL to do it without any recognition or care for the people who had contributed to the forum since its inception.

Yes Bobby, it was strange timing. The last 2 weeks had been relatively busy. I would have thought if it was closed down summer would have been the time to do it. Will be interesting to see how many people come across to here.

Burwood played at Burwood reserve on warrigal rd. They played in the churches league which joined the South east suburban league, now SFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back