Opinion Looking towards 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Post your opinions on:

1. What's your starting team for 2018
2. Players whose should stocks should rise and whose stocks may fall.
3. What do you think of the notion of Cripps spending more time playing forward.
4. Change of roles: Who is going to have a role change next year and why?
5. What are your thoughts on the likes of Thomas, Kerridge, Graham, Rowe and Lamb getting games?
6. Who is going to kick most goals for the CFC in 2018?

What are your concerns?

1. Will the back-line function without Docherty?
2. How will our midfield perform without Gibbs? Who is going to step up and become part of the centre-square rotation?
3. Who is our next cab off the rank Ruck-man, should Kreuzer get injured? Is it going to be Lobbe or Phillips?

It's a bit of a catch-all thread here, so just answer one question or one question at a time, or pose your own queries/concerns. Anything CFC 2018.

My primary concern is for the midfield as if that functions well without Gibbs, other players' lives will be so much easier.
Probably a little unfair to expect Kennedy alone, to patch-up the gaps and that simply won't happen.

At this stage, only Cripps can really be relied on to extract the ball out of the centre.
Of course Kennedy will be called on to do so, but let's face it; We just can't be sure yet.
After that we have ECurnow and Murphy, who aren't really first hands on the ball players.
At times late last year, Wright, Thomas, Kerridge etc were used a lot more out of need, but didn't really impose in any meaningful way.

At this stage, I have our starting centre square mids: Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy & Murphy
Next to step, in order: 1. Petrevski-Seton 2. ECurnow 3. CCurnow (Didn't care for this to be the case, but can see it coming about)

That's not a lot of depth and one or two of Lang, Fisher, Cuningham etc will really need to come on.....and quickly.

You know me, Harks. Not big on detail. I just wanna be surprised outta my seat by Carlton next season. How or who by is irrelevant to me.

Surprise is good and no doubt there will be enough talent on-ground to get us out of our seats. (Cripps, Pickett, CCurnow, SPS, McKay, Garlett etc)

Watched a couple of late season quarters this week and after viewing Kerridge, Thomas and Wright trying to find the ball in the middle had me just a little worried for next year.
I feel we're going to really need one or two players step-up in a big way and take-up regular midfield posts.
We pull out names left, right and centre, but really; How many of our group are capable?

One thing I am looking forward to is Charlie clearing from the middle and creaming a flat 50 metre bullet laces out to a rampaging Charlie 30 out dead in front.

Lang, Kennedy, SPS, Cuningham could be good additions to the 22, but could also stall and be in and out.

Garlett could also become a feature on a wing while I'd like to see Williamson push higher up the ground too.

I'm not fussed about Thomas, Rowe and co. They're not so bad and at the least good depth options if the kids aren't ready.

Backline: I'm expecting Plowman to play the smaller Docherty role and Weitering or Marchbank to play Plowman's traditional role. I probably prefer Marchbank to play the loose role over Weiters, he's just that little bit more attacking. Mullet may add a bit, expecting him and Byrne to play the same role as the defender off the bench.

Forward: Tipping Curnow tops the goal kicking, just think we'll look for him more and his natural game will progress to another level. Pickett should kick 20+ goals, he probably missed 15 easy goals in 2017 and he's only going to get better.

I really hope we move into a post Casboult era, I can't anymore....

My preffered 22:

Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
Plowman, Weitering, Simpson
Murphy, SPS, Cuningham
Wright, Curnow, Fisher
Silvagni, McKay, Pickett
Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy
Curnow, Lang, Garlett, Williamson

Emg: Dow, ASilvagni, Mullett

I really want to add Macreadie in there too.

Should add I expect our midfield to probably improve.

2017: Murphy, Gibbs, hurt Cripps, hurt Curnow, 1st yr SPS, Thomas 18 games, Cuningham/Kerridge/Boekhorst/Graham all played around 10 games.

2018: Murphy, Hopefully fit Cripps, Kennedy, Fit Curnow, SPS with a tank?, Lang, more games into Cuningham/Fisher, Dow cameos, possible Garlett to replace Boek spot.

2018 looks much deeper and energetic.

If Kennedy and Lang come in to do what we brought them in to do.
If SPS, Fisher Cuningham improve on last years production.
If Dow makes any appearances this year.
Then I don't expect we will miss Gibbs much at all.
I know they are all 'if's' but I don't believe there are any unrealistic expectations there and I actually expect them all to happen.

1. Preferred 22. Not fussed as I just want Bolton to keep playing & developing kids like 2017. By end of year I really hope our best 22ish looks something like this going into 2019 when we get more talent

Docherty Weitering Marchbank
Byrne Jones Williamson
Pickett Cripps LOB
Charlie Silvagni Cuningham
Murphy McKay LeBois
Kreuzer Kennedy SPS
Curnow Dow Polson Garlett Fisher Macreadie Lang Kerr DeKoning

2. Rise: All the kids - Fall: Casboult Thomas Lamb

3. Cripps should spend some time forward each game. Mixes it up and he will kick goals

4. Pickett on ball. Murphy forward more

5. Depth & back up if required. Nice to have

6. McKay or a small

Concerns?

1. Backline will step up. As much as I rate Doc it's a role we can cover

2. Midfield will start slowly but grow and gel together by mid year. Future strength

3. Don't care as long as they make a contest and space for mids.

It's all positive. Go Blues:thumbsu:

1. Starting team for say after the bye onwards:

Plowman Weitering Jones
Williamson Marchbank Simpson
Lang Cripps Murphy
Silvagni
Curnow Fisher
Pickett
McKay Wright
Kruezer E.Curnow SPS

IC: Kennedy Dow Byrne Cuningham

Imo the bolded are sure things and staples in the side. I could make arguments for a few of the unbolded, but let's just leave the certainties as the bolded.

Instinctively i think the backline is a bit tall and could use another pacy rebounder, but i think that group will be fine through talent, game knowledge and teamwork as they progress together. Jones has earned his spot. Imo he could go backwards or he could consolidate. I'm not totally convinced, but hopeful. Otherwise Byrne, Macreadie and maybe Garlett are waiting.

Crippa, Murphy and Ed are our mainstays around the ball and i am super confident about Samo being a starting mid already. He aint timid and he's got "IT". Kennedy likewise i am confident of being a mainstay. Fish and Lang i am hoping to step up to automatic pick status. Dow , i am very very bullish on but will watch and assess. Cunners, i am hopeful but not sure.

Up forward, we are a work in progress and full of largely hope. Charlie, well it's all been said before. To me, the modern, dominant, mobile forward every club dreams of snagging. Jack i really like as a player. A team player in the mould of a modern day Peter McConville. Pickett rightly has everyone excited and Wrighty is a needed wise head and snag scorer. Harry looked at home in his very brief stint in AFL last year. The spot is his. Go for it H.

2. I'll single out Samo and Willo for stocks to rise. They have the eye of the tiger and they are gonna make their careers count. For stocks to fall i will put question marks on Jones and Cunners. I'm just not convinced yet. Levi should be not needed by mid year at the latest.

3. On Crippa going forward?. Yeah he can get forward a bit more in his midfield play and have the odd rotation forward. But he is very much a pre-dominant mid the way he plays and the tools he possesses. Do your work at the coalface young fella. We need it and you're one o the best. By all means though take your game to the next level by getting forward a bit more and putting a few through the sticks.

4. On some positional changes?. From the outside i wouldn't mind seeing Cunners tried as a half back if he doesn't cement in the mids. He has the game but 14 possies is no good as a mid, whereas it is fine for a half back. Alternatively he could maybe be modelled on a George Hewitt type forward. Lowish posi count but highish hard working impact. One of Willo or Plowman could be suited to move into mid/wing roles to free up a backline spot.

5. Perform. Add a lot of leadership. Or vacate.

6. Charlie - 38 snags

The 2nd lot of 3 Q's together:

Yes we will miss Doc and Gibbs in 2018. The loss of both as players will cost us a few wins and the loss of Doc as the probable next Captain will hurt progress a little. Bloody Doc's injury has put our leadership plan back 12 months i reckon. But the backline will cope. A lot of smart heads back there. Young and old. I honestly think we can move on from Gibbs fairly quickly from 2019 onwards. Imho, Gibbs could have been an AFL great if he didn't come to the wrong club at the wrong time. He learned to be comfortable. His replacements will be demanded to be more unconditional.

Lobbe - Philips. Philips - Lobbe. Tosses coin. Heads it is - Lobbe.

Some of these selections won't come about, but I'll drop them in be default.

Simpson Jones Plowman
Byrne Marchbank
Garlett..........Early call on Garlett, but he's exactly they type I thought we'd be after through trade/draft. Don't like not having Docherty.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
SPS Kennedy Williamson
..........About the best midfield group we can put down on paper, for now.

CCurnow Weitering Pickett
Wright McKay Silvagni.............Weitering to run the forward line.

ECurnow Fisher Cuningham Lang

Pretty confident on the bolded whereas the other 5 will likely need to prove themselves:

McKay - Casboult should do all he can to keep him out.
Garlett - We did take on O'Shea & Mullett for back posts. Plenty to play out.
Pickett - Lang & Cuningham already in the team, so if the 'good' Thomas turns up, he may be vying for the same spot.
Cuningham & Lang - Will have the likes of Lamb & Kerridge happy to take over should they slip.

Macreadie - Going to be tough getting a gig in that back-line and especially so if Weitering plays back, which seems will be the case.
Dow, O'Brien & Polson - All look likely possibilities but at whose expense?
Kerr - Will need a lot to go right for him to get chances.

Plenty of competition for spots, although the key back posts may be hardest to break into with ASilvagni, Macreadie, O'Shea, JGM and Rowe sitting on the outside for now at least.

1. Starting team for say after the bye onwards:

Plowman Weitering Jones
Williamson Marchbank Simpson
Lang Cripps Murphy
Silvagni
Curnow Fisher
Pickett
McKay Wright
Kruezer E.Curnow SPS

IC: Kennedy Dow Byrne Cuningham

Imo the bolded are sure things and staples in the side. I could make arguments for a few of the unbolded, but let's just leave the certainties as the bolded.

Instinctively i think the backline is a bit tall and could use another pacy rebounder, but i think that group will be fine through talent, game knowledge and teamwork as they progress together. Jones has earned his spot. Imo he could go backwards or he could consolidate. I'm not totally convinced, but hopeful. Otherwise Byrne, Macreadie and maybe Garlett are waiting.

Crippa, Murphy and Ed are our mainstays around the ball and i am super confident about Samo being a starting mid already. He aint timid and he's got "IT". Kennedy likewise i am confident of being a mainstay. Fish and Lang i am hoping to step up to automatic pick status. Dow , i am very very bullish on but will watch and assess. Cunners, i am hopeful but not sure.

Up forward, we are a work in progress and full of largely hope. Charlie, well it's all been said before. To me, the modern, dominant, mobile forward every club dreams of snagging. Jack i really like as a player. A team player in the mould of a modern day Peter McConville. Pickett rightly has everyone excited and Wrighty is a needed wise head and snag scorer. Harry looked at home in his very brief stint in AFL last year. The spot is his. Go for it H.

2. I'll single out Samo and Willo for stocks to rise. They have the eye of the tiger and they are gonna make their careers count. For stocks to fall i will put question marks on Jones and Cunners. I'm just not convinced yet. Levi should be not needed by mid year at the latest.

3. On Crippa going forward?. Yeah he can get forward a bit more in his midfield play and have the odd rotation forward. But he is very much a pre-dominant mid the way he plays and the tools he possesses. Do your work at the coalface young fella. We need it and you're one o the best. By all means though take your game to the next level by getting forward a bit more and putting a few through the sticks.

4. On some positional changes?. From the outside i wouldn't mind seeing Cunners tried as a half back if he doesn't cement in the mids. He has the game but 14 possies is no good as a mid, whereas it is fine for a half back. Alternatively he could maybe be modelled on a George Hewitt type forward. Lowish posi count but highish hard working impact. One of Willo or Plowman could be suited to move into mid/wing roles to free up a backline spot.

5. Perform. Add a lot of leadership. Or vacate.

6. Charlie - 38 snags

The 2nd lot of 3 Q's together:

Yes we will miss Doc and Gibbs in 2018. The loss of both as players will cost us a few wins and the loss of Doc as the probable next Captain will hurt progress a little. Bloody Doc's injury has put our leadership plan back 12 months i reckon. But the backline will cope. A lot of smart heads back there. Young and old. I honestly think we can move on from Gibbs fairly quickly from 2019 onwards. Imho, Gibbs could have been an AFL great if he didn't come to the wrong club at the wrong time. He learned to be comfortable. His replacements will be demanded to be more unconditional.

Lobbe - Philips. Philips - Lobbe. Tosses coin. Heads it is - Lobbe.

Saw your post now and thought it was my post.
I didn't copy......I promise. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield needs to improve and the whole team will. Been our weak point for far too long.

Want to see two way running and hitting up targets. That will protect the backline and stop the forwards looking disfunctional

#1 Issue in defense is kick in duties - this has been area of epic fail for Carlton last year.

In a perfect world your FB takes the kick ins and bullets the ball to a runner in space in quick time or to a 40 meter mismatch in heights. Unfortunately, Jones doesn't seem to have that ability and in 2017 I saw too many others fluff the whole business too often - kicking in is a weakness that has to be fixed and I wonder if Mullett isn't the answer to that question.? Against Richmond for example, Carlton has the height advantage if the tuggers go with 4 fast smalls - it needs to be exploited - foiling their ability to defend their forward 50. SO in this case for example having 4 talls in defense IF the kick ins are effective - meaning fast and accurate - is a bonus. Similarly, a rebound game requires fast runners if the kicking option isn't there and both Byrne and maybe Garlett (who played HBF before being drafted) are better running/kicking in field alternatives to a now much slower Simmo.

Plowman Jones Mullett
Marchbank Weitering Garlett

#2 Issue: Midfield Center bounces and ball ups in 2017 sans Cripps and Ed - disaster!

Kreuzer Cripps, Ed Curnow, Kennedy SPS will be starting on ballers Carlton should be able to break even in 2018 - otherwise we will finish bottom 4 again, no doubt about it whatsoever.

Lang Ed Curnow Murphy
Kreuzer Cripps SPS

#3 Issue: The headless chook factor

For all the little cameos and green shoot moments in 2017 -in 2018 the second and third year players HAVE to STEP up in ability to play 4 quarters. Pressure acts have to become tackles and turnovers between the arcs - otherwise we will finish bottom 4. Cuningham/Fisher/Polson/ have to get more ball and use it better wont be enough to run around looking to be somewhere near the ball and having little real impact most of the time OR they dont play.

#4 Issue: Kicking goals

Carlton has had woeful forward line structure and Bolton has sacrificed a lot of structure to stack the defensive numbers in midfield - easy exits for most opposition. In 2018 Carlton has to even up forward numbers and give the forwards a chance - no more double and triple teaming Levi should be allowed.

Hopefully Harry will be fit to play round 1 - because it is time Carlton supporters saw both Harry and Charlie combine to add some fear factor into opposition defenders - I like the notion of Pickett/Harry and Charlie all on one line causing mayhem and stopping easy exits. Lamb and Wright to play if they learn to stick tackles and harass defenders as well as get crumbing goals.

Pickett Harry Charlie
Lamb Casboult Wright

IC: Simpson, Kennedy, Cuningham, Fisher

Very little love for the oldies, which is understandable, but I see us all being just a little disappointed come round 1, when several of Casboult, Kerridge, Thomas, Graham, Lamb, Wright, Mullett, ASilvagni and O'Shea being involved.

I figure it will be a balance of the old and relatively new that will be rolled out come round 1 and then a slow and meaningful transition to take place in subsequent rounds.

Anyone that can get close to guessing what our best team may look like come round 22, will be doing an amazing job in the paranormal. :)

Great stuff HARKER .

1. Round 1 22:
Plowman. Jones. Marchbank.
Williamson. Weitering. Simpson.
Lang. Ed Curnow. SPS.
Jack. Casboult. Pickett.
Charlie. Harry. Wright.
R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Murphy
I. Cuningham. Fisher. Kennedy. Garlett.
E. Byrne. Macreadie Dow.

2. Stocks fall ... Thomas, Rowe, Byrne, Casboult, Wright, Simmo
Stocks rise ... Garlett, Dow, Pickett, Weitering, Kennedy, Lang, Fisher, SPS, Cuningham and Harry

3 Cripps more time forward ... what will force Wright out of the 22 IMO is the resting midfielder in the pocket: if the rotating midfielders are Murphy, Cripps, Ed, Kennedy, Lang, Fisher, SPS, Cuningham ... and also Williamson, Polson, Charlie, Dow, O’Brien, Pickett and Garlett also go through the midfield, then I think there will be rotations off the bench and also off the forward pocket. Cripps has to nail his shots, and not try to play on from 15 metres out and cough it up in a tackle.

4. Change of role... I think Lamb if he misses a gig in the forward line early will trial as a small defender in the VFL and hopefully finds his was into the 22. We need a small defender who beats his man and I am not sure Byrne or Simmo plays that role. Fisher to spend more time forward due to increased midfield depth and to capitalise on his quick hands.

5. Thomas, Rowe, Kerridge, Graham and Lamb ... I think we will have players in and out of the 22 a lot due to our draw with seven 6 day breaks of which 3 have an interstate leg, and the relatively large number of young players. Lamb is in my ‘Stiff not to be in the 22’ group. The other 4 are in my ‘Break glass in case of emergency’ group.

6. Most goals is really hard ... McKay says the heart and Casboult says the head. Want to see a handful of players, 4 or more with30 goals each.

Concerns ...

1. Backline without Docherty .., will do fine. I might be harsh here ... while Doc has his good points he mainly plays as a loose defender and we often get carved up by the opposition’s small forward. I think Byrne will get a chance but I am not sold. Weitering and Williamson can distribute as wel, as Docherty. Think Garlett and Lamb will be trialled as small defenders, maybe apickett too.

2. Mids post Gibbs and square rotations ... Kennedy and Lang offset the loss of Gibbs and we bat a bit deeper and sustain it for longer in midfield.

I see a starting midfield of Cripps, Murphy and Ed, with Lang and SPS on the wings. Next change I see Kennedy, Cuningham and Fisher, with Charlie and Garlett on the wings.

3. If Kreuzer goes down I think Lobbe gets first go rather than Phillips.

Other things ...

4. If Harry can ruck a little bit. This would see us ditch Casboult into the VFL. Is Harry durable? Not sure at this stage.

5. Can we play all of the kids? We will most likely play around 10 1st-3rd year players and another 4-5 who started in 2013-2015. Will be interesting who takes his chance ... Cuningham could be under some pressure if he doesn’t fire early.

6. Forward line mix .., I have us playing 4 talls in Casboult, Harry, Charlie and Jack and then 2 smalls in say Wright, Pickett or Garlett, or the resting midfielder. Relies on good delivery and forwards working together to separate the backmen.

7. Kerr, Polson and Macreadie get opportunities.

Post your opinions on:

1. What's your starting team for 2018

Backs- Weitering, Marchbank, Plow, Willo, Jones and McCreadie.
Mids, Wings and Ruck- Cripps, Murphy, SPS, E Curnow, Kennedy, Fisher, Kruze and Simpson.
Forward- Levi, C Curnow, McKay, Wright, Pickett and Garlett.
Interchange- Polson, Lang, Dow and JSOS

2. Players whose should stocks should rise and whose stocks may fall.
McKay stock will rise. Has been stuff with injury but looks imposing and ready.
Murphy stock will fall. I think his pace is really going to be exposed if a few teams go small eg Richmond. The problem is slower players like Cripps hurt you enough inside to compensate. Murphy is more an old style mid :( for mine. Hopefully I'm wrong.

3. What do you think of the notion of Cripps spending more time playing forward.
I honestly don't think we can afford to lose him in the centre. But it could work depending how our midfield works.
4. Change of roles: Who is going to have a role change next year and why?
Weitering will play permanent back. I can see C Curnow moving more into the mid or wing.
5. What are your thoughts on the likes of Thomas, Kerridge, Graham, Rowe and Lamb getting games?
Happy if none of them play. In order of preference who I'd rank as should get a game Lamb, Thomas, Graham, Kerridge and Rowe. Rowe is last for me cause we have some significant KPD depth for mine Rowe is behind ASOS not to mention our starting KPD's.
6. Who is going to kick most goals for the CFC in 2018?
I want to say McKay. It is a stretch but let's hope.

What are your concerns?
Lack of pace through the midfield and forward line. Our better players are slower players.

1. Will the back-line function without Docherty? Yes
2. How will our midfield perform without Gibbs? Who is going to step up and become part of the centre-square rotation? Kennedy will slot in.
3. Who is our next cab off the rank Ruck-man, should Kreuzer get injured? Is it going to be Lobbe or Phillips? Was really disappointed with Phillips in 2017, the game he played he looked terrible. Would like to see Lobbe if required.

It's a bit of a catch-all thread here, so just answer one question or one question at a time, or pose your own queries/concerns. Anything CFC 2018.

Last edited:
Very little love for the oldies, which is understandable, but I see us all being just a little disappointed come round 1, when several of Casboult, Kerridge, Thomas, Graham, Lamb, Wright, Mullett, ASilvagni and O'Shea being involved.

You look at the talent we’ve introduced and they can take every single one of those guys places (still have time for Wright) and be better players. Skill sets on the kids is as good as we’ve had in a generation.

Just wanna continue on with the fast track approach we’ve taken, and managed prudently, over the last couple of years.

I’m excited, maybe a little impatient.

You look at the talent we’ve introduced and they can take every single one of those guys places (still have time for Wright) and be better players. Skill sets on the kids is as good as we’ve had in a generation.
Just wanna continue on with the fast track approach we’ve taken, and managed prudently, over the last couple of years.
I’m excited, maybe a little impatient.

Maybe that's the key point.

Keep them hungry, develop them well, whilst maintaining their enthusiasm and hunger for senior exposure. Not an easy balance, but no more or less for us, than for anyone else.

Yeah. Manage prudently.

Maybe that's the key point.

Keep them hungry, develop them well, whilst maintaining their enthusiasm and hunger for senior exposure. Not an easy balance, but no more or less for us, than for anyone else.

Yeah. Manage prudently.

The other terrific thing Bolton does is empower the group.

In the past we had a reputation as a team of introverts, BB has made it inclusive, doesn’t matter if you’ve played 2 games or 222, everyone is as important as the next and shares responsibility.

For a young group, that’s a great initiative.

I figure it will be a balance of the old and relatively new that will be rolled out come round 1 and then a slow and meaningful transition to take place in subsequent rounds.

Anyone that can get close to guessing what our best team may look like come round 22, will be doing an amazing job in the paranormal. :)

It's not Round One that matters. It's what happens during the season and how we stand at the end that really matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back