Opinion Looking towards 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Post your opinions on:

1. What's your starting team for 2018
2. Players whose should stocks should rise and whose stocks may fall.
3. What do you think of the notion of Cripps spending more time playing forward.
4. Change of roles: Who is going to have a role change next year and why?
5. What are your thoughts on the likes of Thomas, Kerridge, Graham, Rowe and Lamb getting games?
6. Who is going to kick most goals for the CFC in 2018?

What are your concerns?

1. Will the back-line function without Docherty?
2. How will our midfield perform without Gibbs? Who is going to step up and become part of the centre-square rotation?
3. Who is our next cab off the rank Ruck-man, should Kreuzer get injured? Is it going to be Lobbe or Phillips?

It's a bit of a catch-all thread here, so just answer one question or one question at a time, or pose your own queries/concerns. Anything CFC 2018.

1. 18 team

Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
J Garlett, Weitering, Plowman
Lang, Kennedy, Simmo
SPS, C Curnow, J Silvagni
Wright, McKay, Pickett

Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy

Inter - Casboult, E Curnow, Williamson, Dow

On the cusp:

Cuningham
Fisher
A Silvagni
Kerridge
Macreadie

2. Simmo, Daisy, Graham to fall
All the young guns to rise, especially SPS

3. Would love Crippa more fwd, but too crucial he stays as more of a mid in the Gibbsless transition year

4. Garlett to do HBF often, his run and experience crucial.

5. Those players listed valuable depth, but unlikely best 22 now

6. C Curnow to top goal kicking with 40-50

7. Major concern replacing Docherty of course, so the recruitment of a class act like Garlett crucial, especially with Simmo on the wane. Can see Cuningham and Willo spending lots of time across HB too. We have enough emerging and talented kids to cover Gibbs in the midfield.

Exciting times ahead!

1. 18 team

Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
J Garlett, Weitering, Plowman
Lang, Kennedy, Simmo
SPS, C Curnow, J Silvagni
Wright, McKay, Pickett

Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy

Inter - Casboult, E Curnow, Williamson, Dow

On the cusp:

Cuningham
Fisher
A Silvagni
Kerridge
Macreadie

2. Simmo, Daisy, Graham to fall
All the young guns to rise, especially SPS

3. Would love Crippa more fwd, but too crucial he stays as more of a mid in the Gibbsless transition year

4. Garlett to do HBF often, his run and experience crucial.

5. Those players listed valuable depth, but unlikely best 22 now

6. C Curnow to top goal kicking with 40-50

7. Major concern replacing Docherty of course, so the recruitment of a class act like Garlett crucial, especially with Simmo on the wane. Can see Cuningham and Willo spending lots of time across HB too. We have enough emerging and talented kids to cover Gibbs in the midfield.

Exciting times ahead!
Solid opening post.

Starting 22 looks to be very close to what we might see in round 1. I was quite impressed last year with Cuningham and MacReadie so hopefully we may see a little more of these two in 2018.

Last edited:
I asked Santa for a flag next year......but didn’t specify an AFL one:(
Hope he gets its right;)
AFL, AFLW, VFL.
If 1 those Blues teams won a flag in 2018 I would be very happy, if Two of these teams won a flag in 2018 I would be ecstatic, if all 3 won in 2018 it would be a miracle!!!

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Byrne Weitering Plowman
Murphy Cripps Williamson
Silvagni Casboult C.Curnow
Pickett McKay Wright

R: Kruezer Kennedy Petrevski-Seton

I: Fisher E. Curnow Lang Cuningham

E: Dow Mullet Macreadie

2. Fall: The usual suspects: Casboult, Thomas (more than happy to be proven wrong - definitely not a usual basher of either but just think they will be pushed out).
Rise: SPS, Charlie, Williamson, Harry - a lot of pressure on all these guys but they all just have the ability combined with this arrogance that we've been missing in recent years. The days of our midfield being easily brushed aside are numbered.

3. It's inevitable that Cripps will be playing forward more as his career progresses. I actually think Curnow and Cripps will directly interchange half forward and midfield rolls (Cripps playing 70 - 80% midfield and vice versa for Charlie).

4. Williamson permanently on the wing to utilise his lethal left foot giving us some much needed good delivery to the forward line.
IF SPS and Kennedy are able to cover for the loss of Gibbs in the midfield I would like to see Murphy on the other wing/half forward like he was able to do at the beginning of last year before Cripps was out injured.

5. They will probably all still get games at some stage next year but just purely to fill a specific roll or to cover injury

6. Charlie but not by much as he will be limited by his time in the midfield. I'm thinking 38 for Charlie and then around the 30 mark for Wright, Casboult and Silvagni.

Concerns:

1. It's definitely a big loss but let's not forget Docherty can only play that roll if everyone else down back does their bit and the midfield is tight defensively too. Hopefully Byrne can fill that roll with help from Plowman. Obrien could also be a surprise down there to do some rebounding too.

2. Answered in 4 above - there will definitely be games where the lack of depth is exposed but I think if C.Curnow, SPS, Cuningham and Dow can lift then I think our midfield looks really flexible.

3. Probably Lobbe but also I really like the look of DeKonig's follow up work in the limited highlights package I've seen of him - I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple of games from him late in the year against some weaker ruck combinations

Side note:

- I think Garlett will push himself into the side in the first 5 rounds of the season. The side above is still pretty tall down back and up forward and I feel like the coaches won't need much of a reason to throw him in there at the expense of a tall that doesn't perform.

- Cuningham needs to perform early. Yes he's still very young and a weaker midfield around him isn't going to help his cause but the 14-15 possession games aren't going to do especially if he isn't kicking goals. I can see him being replaced by Dow or if Dow is already in the side then Williamson goes into the followers rotation and Obrien goes to the wing or half back where he can use his elite kicking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

grouse seeing all these newbs putting in a big pre-season.........
Got some senior posters who have not had a full preseason for years, really shows up late in the year.

Currently sweating it up on the couch watching the cricket - am I training the house down yet?

you've come back in ripping nick............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Byrne Weitering Plowman
Murphy Cripps Williamson
Silvagni Casboult C.Curnow
Pickett McKay Wright

R: Kruezer Kennedy Petrevski-Seton

I: Fisher E. Curnow Lang Cuningham

E: Dow Mullet Macreadie

2. Fall: The usual suspects: Casboult, Thomas (more than happy to be proven wrong - definitely not a usual basher of either but just think they will be pushed out).
Rise: SPS, Charlie, Williamson, Harry - a lot of pressure on all these guys but they all just have the ability combined with this arrogance that we've been missing in recent years. The days of our midfield being easily brushed aside are numbered.

3. It's inevitable that Cripps will be playing forward more as his career progresses. I actually think Curnow and Cripps will directly interchange half forward and midfield rolls (Cripps playing 70 - 80% midfield and vice versa for Charlie).

4. Williamson permanently on the wing to utilise his lethal left foot giving us some much needed good delivery to the forward line.
IF SPS and Kennedy are able to cover for the loss of Gibbs in the midfield I would like to see Murphy on the other wing/half forward like he was able to do at the beginning of last year before Cripps was out injured.

5. They will probably all still get games at some stage next year but just purely to fill a specific roll or to cover injury

6. Charlie but not by much as he will be limited by his time in the midfield. I'm thinking 38 for Charlie and then around the 30 mark for Wright, Casboult and Silvagni.

Concerns:

1. It's definitely a big loss but let's not forget Docherty can only play that roll if everyone else down back does their bit and the midfield is tight defensively too. Hopefully Byrne can fill that roll with help from Plowman. Obrien could also be a surprise down there to do some rebounding too.

2. Answered in 4 above - there will definitely be games where the lack of depth is exposed but I think if C.Curnow, SPS, Cuningham and Dow can lift then I think our midfield looks really flexible.

3. Probably Lobbe but also I really like the look of DeKonig's follow up work in the limited highlights package I've seen of him - I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple of games from him late in the year against some weaker ruck combinations

Side note:

- I think Garlett will push himself into the side in the first 5 rounds of the season. The side above is still pretty tall down back and up forward and I feel like the coaches won't need much of a reason to throw him in there at the expense of a tall that doesn't perform.

- Cuningham needs to perform early. Yes he's still very young and a weaker midfield around him isn't going to help his cause but the 14-15 possession games aren't going to do especially if he isn't kicking goals. I can see him being replaced by Dow or if Dow is already in the side then Williamson goes into the followers rotation and Obrien goes to the wing or half back where he can use his elite kicking.

Very thoughtful first post Blupac Shakur :thumbsu:

Having read a few of these starting 22s it seems most do not think Thomas is in and likely to fall during 2018. I must admit i have never been a fan of Thomas and think we have got very little for what has been a significant investment over 4 years. Not sure what the club is thinking in keeping him for another year.

Very thoughtful first post Blupac Shakur :thumbsu:

Having read a few of these starting 22s it seems most do not think Thomas is in and likely to fall during 2018. I must admit i have never been a fan of Thomas and think we have got very little for what has been a significant investment over 4 years. Not sure what the club is thinking in keeping him for another year.
Cheers!

Yeah there's no doubt you'd be hard pressed to find a Carlton supporter out there that thinks Thomas' output has been worth the money (especially being here in Adelaide!!!).

But it hasn't been through lack of effort or wanting to pay the club back on his part and this reset needed to happen regardless of if we had Thomas or Betts and IMO Thomas is better for the development of the kids than Betts would've been..

I'm happy to have Thomas on the list for one more year but only if he's playing a handful of games. It's clear that the club is thinking that they may as well get everything they can out of him - there's no doubt the confidence he's got is rubbing off on the likes of SPS, Williamson, McKay etc.

There's so much to look forward to in 2018.
That's not to say it will all play out as we'd want it to, but as long as the next level of groundwork is in place, we'll largely be a happy content lot.

We're not expecting a top 8 finish, but only wanting a further year of quality development into our young guys.
We know the trade/FA period will be a good time for us. It has been the last three years, but next year will be the icing on the cake.
We're also looking forward to the draft period, where we'll potentially have 3 top 30 picks along with possible quality F/S selections available.

2018 is looming as a good year, even if it will be without our heir apparent, in Docherty. Raise your glasses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back