Opinion Looking towards 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers!

Yeah there's no doubt you'd be hard pressed to find a Carlton supporter out there that thinks Thomas' output has been worth the money (especially being here in Adelaide!!!).

But it hasn't been through lack of effort or wanting to pay the club back on his part and this reset needed to happen regardless of if we had Thomas or Betts and IMO Thomas is better for the development of the kids than Betts would've been..

I'm happy to have Thomas on the list for one more year but only if he's playing a handful of games. It's clear that the club is thinking that they may as well get everything they can out of him - there's no doubt the confidence he's got is rubbing off on the likes of SPS, Williamson, McKay etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Since Daisy did his shoulder it's just been about salvaging something from the wreckage, so I've moved way beyond recriminations and footy dept witchhunts at this stage - it really serves no purpose.

He's signed on at a modest amount this year as useful depth and to help the kids - I'll be surprised if he plays any more than 5 games.

Since Daisy did his shoulder it's just been about salvaging something from the wreckage, so I've moved way beyond recriminations and footy dept witchhunts at this stage - it really serves no purpose.

He's signed on at a modest amount this year as useful depth and to help the kids - I'll be surprised if he plays any more than 5 games.
ye they wouldnt let him hang around for a pesky 5 games..
might be closer to 10 hey.....he can fire up a bit for a couple good games....10 would probably finish him off,errrr so
that might be it hey.

be nice to think we were going to get more than a smother and a baulk out of him next season.............
And a nice little "* you" to the Collingwood faithful.

His ankle was stuffed when we signed him. Just dumb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've told you before, Aph.

8807477018654.png

and this

brandy_met2.jpg

don't mix!

but mm knew he had a smother and a baulk left in him............

I blame MM & McKay for this deal. Paid elite money for a player that was never going to produce elite performances. Cost us a good pick (for Betts) or even keeping Betts and a lot of time and money. Pathetic decision and unfortunately McKay didn't have the balls to stand up to MM and not approve it

have always struggled to warm to mckay in his role at the club - for a bloke who was one of my all-time faves on the field he just reeks of dullness - give me something macca - other than 1- 2 weeks - you'd have him first cab off the rank if ever you had to rent-a-crowd for a funeral - deadset

I blame MM & McKay for this deal. Paid elite money for a player that was never going to produce elite performances. Cost us a good pick (for Betts) or even keeping Betts and a lot of time and money. Pathetic decision and unfortunately McKay didn't have the balls to stand up to MM and not approve it

I have no problem with apportioning blame to McKay for Daisy. Not a big wrap for him looking from the outside.

But i reckon the Malthouse/Thomas pre-package sits at the feet of one Sticks Kernahan. He was President. He got Malthouse, and with Malthouse was always gonna come his wannabe son on a stupendous "WelcomeMySon F/A contract".

Let's apportion 50% to Sticks and 50% to the Vet.

have always struggled to warm to mckay in his role at the club - for a bloke who was one of my all-time faves on the field he just reeks of dullness - give me something macca - other than 1- 2 weeks - you'd have him first cab off the rank if ever you had to rent-a-crowd for a funeral - deadset

Watch the bloopers, it’s all a charade, gags central when the camera is off.

Starting team rd1.

Simpson Jones Weitering
Plowman Marchbank Byrne
SPS Kennedy Murphy
Silvagni Curnow Lang
Pickett Casbault Wright
Kruezer Cripps Cunningham

Williamson, Dow, Fisher and any form player for the last bench spot. Mckay to replace Casbault second half of the season.

Stocks to rise: Cuningham in a proper midfield role. Byrne in defence to recapture his upward trajectory. Mackay to rise in the second half of the year. All the younger guys to find that 5-10% skill/physical/game sense improvement. If this all happens, get excited.

Question mark 1: Our midfield performance depends a lot on output from Kennedy, Cunners (physically ready) and Lang. All three have the physical capacity to play out a full season. SPS and Fisher probably need 1 if not 2 more seasons to impact a game outcome week in week out. They will impact a decent amount of games but would have to be up and down and tire a little towards the end of 2018. I don't mind our rotation of runners through the midfield. There is a nice mix and number to work with...its more can Lang, Cunners and Kennedy add enough there.

Question mark 2: Our defence may be slightly too tall for some teams (e.g. Tigers). We have the players to combat that and it is up to the match committee. Mullet, Garlett etc to come in for a Plowman.

Question mark 3: Our forward's capacity to kick a winning score. Think this is something we just have to wait for. The structure is in place and gaining even more focus in 2018. Take out a Casbault and replace him with a top 5 fwd in the league and a lot changes. We hope that comes from Mackay or a FA next year. B Silvagni comes later as he could only be a top 5 fwd in 4/5 years from now. He will help us when we are entrenched in the top 8. A lot also rides on our small fwds development in Pickett, Wright and that third small fed (Fisher, Murphy, others). We play a bit tall in the fwd line so need chasers and someone like Pickett has to put in for the good of the team. If we go Silver, Curnow, Mackay and Caz, that's tall and makes us weaker at ground level.

Question mark 4: L Jones played for his career last season and has now got his contract. I'm still a little circumspect. He played with a 100% commitment during those games and it's something you can't hold to for long periods of time. Macreadie there waiting anyway so not overly concerned but would not be surprised if he regressed a little.

Other thoughts...
Garlett didn't do much in the WAFL so I'm hoping like others he was tanking a little to join his cousin at Carlton. If not, well then I'm just trusting in Silvagni but not putting him in my plans much.

The older crew in Kerridge, Rowe, Thomas, Graham and Lamb. I'm just hoping we improve enough that we don't need these guys.

Really optimistic for 2018 and beyond.

Last edited:
Starting team rd1.

Simpson Jones Weitering
Plowman Marchbank Byrne
SPS Kennedy Murphy
Silvagni Curnow Lang
Pickett Casbault Wright
Kruezer Cripps Cunningham

Williamson, Dow, Fisher and any form player for the last bench spot. Mckay to replace Casbault second half of the season.

Stocks to rise: Cuningham in a proper midfield role. Byrne in defence to recapture his upward trajectory. Mackay to rise in the second half of the year. All the younger guys to find that 5-10% skill/physical/game sense improvement. If this all happens, get excited.

Question mark 1: Our midfield performance depends a lot on output from Kennedy, Cunners (physically ready) and Lang. All three have the physical capacity to play out a full season. SPS and Fisher probably need 1 if not 2 more seasons to impact a game outcome week in week out. They will impact a decent amount of games but would have to be up and down and tire a little towards the end of 2018. I don't mind our rotation of runners through the midfield. There is a nice mix and number to work with...its more can Lang, Cunners and Kennedy add enough there.

Question mark 2: Our defence may be slightly too tall for some teams (e.g. Tigers). We have the players to combat that and it is up to the match committee. Mullet, Garlett etc to come in for a Plowman.

Question mark 3: Our forward's capacity to kick a winning score. Think this is something we just have to wait for. The structure is in place and gaining even more focus in 2018. Take out a Casbault and replace him with a top 5 fwd in the league and a lot changes. We hope that comes from Mackay or a FA next year. B Silvagni comes later as he could only be a top 5 fwd in 4/5 years from now. He will help us when we are entrenched in the top 8. A lot also rides on our small fwds development in Pickett, Wright and that third small fed (Fisher, Murphy, others). We play a bit tall in the fwd line so need chasers and someone like Pickett has to put in for the good of the team. If we go Silver, Curnow, Mackay and Caz, that's tall and makes us weaker at ground level.

Question mark 4: L Jones played for his career last season and has now got his contract. I'm still a little circumspect. He played with a 100% commitment during those games and it's something you can't hold to for long periods of time. Macreadie there waiting anyway so not overly concerned but would not be surprised if he regressed a little.

Other thoughts...
Garlett didn't do much in the WAFL so I'm hoping like others he was tanking a little to join his cousin at Carlton. If not, well then I'm just trusting in Silvagni but not putting him in my plans much.

The older crew in Kerridge, Rowe, Thomas, Graham and Lamb. I'm just hoping we improve enough that we don't need these guys.

Really optimistic for 2018 and beyond.
Some very good questions here BlueRenaissance , Q3 being the one that concerns me most.

The extent that we need to bring back the older crew will be an indicator of how we are tracking in 2018.

Do we still do the 'dollar in the jar' each time someone gives Cuningham an extra n :D

Not enough love for Plowman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back