Teams Los Angeles Chargers - The Bolts

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Nick Oakes who is he?

Mizza said:
Nick Oakes is a name u might here in about 2-3 years, he comes from Kansas City State and he is a SS. Last season he got 14 sacks, 123 tackles and 12 interceptions.

What are your thoughts about this guy?

never heard of him, cause he doesn't exist. he doesn't play for either kansas jayhawks or the kansas state wildcats.

why bother making up a player, school and his stats

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

Mizza said:
Nick Oakes is a name u might here in about 2-3 years, he comes from Kansas City State and he is a SS. Last season he got 14 sacks, 123 tackles and 12 interceptions.

That he doesn't exist. That you made him (and his school, and his stats) up. If you're trying to get people to hype him based on his stats, this is a poor effort. If you are trying to get people to check if Kansas City State actually exists, well, you've succeeded with me. But it doesn't, so I'll save everyone else the time.

Very weak post.

WTTF

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers, Hotspurs

Mizza said:

Very poor post Mizza......my guess is this guy either doesn't exist or you've got the University name wrong as clearly Kansas City is a city, not a State.

That's like saying Chicago State for example instead of Illinois State!

Tipping it's the former.

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

WTTF said:
Very poor post Mizza......my guess is this guy either doesn't exist or you've got the University name wrong as clearly Kansas City is a city, not a State.

That's like saying Chicago State for example instead of Illinois State!

Tipping it's the former.

Not necessarily. Here in the US, some of the bigger states have Universities that have multiple campuses. These are sometimes listed by the city they are located and then "State". Like Fresno State in CA. Or the state colleges in Massachusetts - www.mascac.com. But I googled "Kansas City State" and no school came up. No football players named Nick Oakes either.

WTTF

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers, Hotspurs

MSG77 said:
Not necessarily. Here in the US, some of the bigger states have Universities that have multiple campuses. These are sometimes listed by the city they are located and then "State". Like Fresno State in CA. Or the state colleges in Massachusetts - www.mascac.com. But I googled "Kansas City State" and no school came up. No football players named Nick Oakes either.

Understand that, having spent some time in the US myself. They are the exception, not the rule.

Clearly, Kansas City State does not exist.

Re: phil rivers swap for john abraham

I'd give them Howard and a forth round pick. They can have Bouman too as they'll need another backup.

I can't see this deal happening - not this offseason anyhow. With Brees injury problems it would be a huge risk for the Chargers to trade Rivers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he wants to start & I'm sure he'd be open to a trade, but the Chargers won't want to trade him now.

If I was the Chargers I'd make sure Brees isn't going to do a Pennington before I made any decisions on Rivers.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

This rumour doesn't make sense because the 2 teams use completely different defenses. San Diego don't need a 4-3 DE. They already have Merriman running a similar role but in the 3-4. Can't see it happening.

You really like clichés don't you coasting?

There's no reason Abraham couldn't play in the Chargers defensive system - he did play OLB in his last year in college – and IMO would be a better DE for the charges than Olshansky.

The Rivers to Jets rumour is no doubt based on the Schottenheimer appointment to the Jets

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

JeffDunne said:
You really like clichés don't you coasting?

There's no reason Abraham couldn't play in the Chargers defensive system - he did play OLB in his last year in college – and IMO would be a better DE for the charges than Olshansky.

The Rivers to Jets rumour is no doubt based on the Schottenheimer appointment to the Jets

What cliches are you talking about? There is no way known that Abraham plays as a Defensive End in a 3-4, or if he did, his abilities would be completely misused. A 3-4 scheme has to use bigger linemen because they have one less. A 3-4 DE is usually 285-300 pounds and Abraham is 258, which is probably even undersized for a 4-3 lineman. 3-4 linemen pretty much hold the point and get double teamed on every play... while Abraham's game is all about speed to the outside. Doesn't fit. If they didn't have Merriman, I believe they could play him in that 3-4 passrush OLB role, but they do have him so there really isn't a place for him in their defense.

coasting said:
What cliches are you talking about?
About players moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

People talk about players changing systems like they are changing sports.

There is no way known that Abraham plays as a Defensive End in a 3-4, or if he did, his abilities would be completely misused. A 3-4 scheme has to use bigger linemen because they have one less. A 3-4 DE is usually 285-300 pounds and Abraham is 258, which is probably even undersized for a 4-3 lineman. 3-4 linemen pretty much hold the point and get double teamed on every play... while Abraham's game is all about speed to the outside. Doesn't fit. If they didn't have Merriman, I believe they could play him in that 3-4 passrush OLB role, but they do have him so there really isn't a place for him in their defense.
Much better answer and I agree to an extent - but I'm not talking about him playing necessarily as a DE.

I think Abraham could easily fill the ROLB role at the Chargers (although I read Randall Godfrey plans to suit up again).

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame

JeffDunne said:
About players moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

People talk about players changing systems like they are changing sports.

Much better answer and I agree to an extent - but I'm not talking about him playing necessarily as a DE.

I think Abraham could easily fill the ROLB role at the Chargers (although I read Randall Godfrey plans to suit up again).

Steve Foley plays weak side linebacker while Shaun Phillips backs up Merriman. Abraham would play the same position as merriman and Phillips...There is no room for him at SD and as coasting stated he is too small to play as a DE in the 3-4

Why would he play the same position as Merriman?

The Chargers need another first rate pass rusher and Foley struggles to stay on the park. There's no reason they couldn't move Foley to ILB if they felt Abrahams gave them the pass rusher they needed - although highly unlikely with Godfrey returning. IMO Abrahams would be an upgrade over Foley anyway (and they'd have no problems trading him)

You guys seem to think I believe this trade will happen - I don't. I don't see the Chargers trading Rivers and they have more pressing needs, and I don't think the Jets situation with Abrahams is close to being resolved. It's not even within the relms of improbability that the Jets won't change to a 3-4 defense. Besides, if I was the Chargers and I knew the Jets wanted Rivers, I'd be eyeing their first pick rather than Abrahams.

The Abraham to the Redskins for Lavar Arrington rumour makes more sense IMO.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
Why would he play the same position as Merriman?

Because he'd play a strongside linebacker in the 3-4. Teams do not blitz every play and the weakside linebacker usually zones off and drops into coverage or plays against the run. And i'd question abraham's ability to play in coverage. So he needs to be the blitzing LB.

The Abraham to the Redskins for Lavar Arrington rumour makes more sense IMO.

That would be a good trade for both....Gibbs really doesn't like Lavar and that surprises me as the guy is a playmaker at the LB position.

marcuz said:
Because he'd play a strongside linebacker in the 3-4.
Why? Because he's currently playing as DE?

I think you underestimate the talent that Abrahams has. I'm not sure if he'd be quick enough to play strongside.

Teams do not blitz every play and the weakside linebacker usually zones off and drops into coverage or plays against the run.
You don't say . . . or in New Orleans case, blitzing is something you do only when a teams picked your zone coverage to pieces.

And i'd question abraham's ability to play in coverage. So he needs to be the blitzing LB.
Horses for courses.

I'd be suprised if Abraham's limitations were any greater than Foley's.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
Why? Because he's currently playing as DE?

Because his greatest strength is to get to the quarterback, a lot of teams run right at him becuase that's his weakness. He is a pure pass rusher.

Shawne Merriman is as powerful and quick and tenacious as they come but he struggles in coverage. The chargers just let him at the QB all day so he has that position sewn up. Having two guys playing on the edges like that won't work.

I think you underestimate the talent that Abrahams has. I'm not sure if he'd be quick enough to play strongside.

I'd say that is the only position he could play. He has plenty of speed and he needs it as an undersized DE.

You don't say . . . or in New Orleans case, blitzing is something you do only when a teams picked your zone coverage to pieces.

Watch Sean Payton turn your mob around...in the direction of Los Angeles that is.;)

Horses for courses.

I'd be suprised if Abraham's limitations were any greater than Foley's.

Fair point but i think they may look to Shaun Phillips as a future replacement...and he is a talented kid who has been buried by the merriman hype.

Oh and by the way on the subject of merriman..... Ware > Merriman. :D

Parade_Redleg

Rookie
Feb 19, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Power/Browns/Redlegs

If Abraham went to the Chargers i doubt that he would be playing DE any more. They could use him to assit Merriman on the right side seeing as he did play Right Defensive End for the Jets and Merriman already plays on the left side. I'm sure he would find a way to fit in to the Chargers game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back