Teams Los Angeles Chargers - The Bolts

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports that Joshua Kelley has improved as a pass blocker.
Chargers OC Joe Lombardi said of Kelley, "you can certainly see that he’s a trustworthy component when it comes to pass protection." Kelley is battling for snaps behind Austin Ekeler with Justin Jackson and Larry Rountree. That role will likely include short yardage work, for which Kelley is well suited at 5'11" 212 pounds. If Kelley also earns the staff's trust as a pass blocker however, that could give him a path to eventually displacing Jackson as the Chargers no. 2 running back.

Tristan Vizcaino has beaten out Michael Badgley for the Chargers’ kicking job.

Badgley was among the team’s cuts Tuesday afternoon.

Badgley’s 12 missed kicks in 2020, including nine field goals, tied for second most in the NFL behind only Dan Bailey‘s 13 missed kicks. In three seasons with the Chargers, Badgley made 52 of 65 field goal attempts and 82 of 86 PATs.

Vizcaino made both of his field goal tries and one PAT last season for the 49ers in his only career action.

The Chargers also announced they waived receiver Michael Bandy, running back Darius Bradwell, cornerback John Brannon III, defensive lineman Cortez Broughton, linebacker Cole Christiansen, defensive back Ben DeLuca, outside linebacker Emeke Egbule, defensive lineman Breiden Fehoko, outside linebacker Joe Gaziano, offensive guard Nate Gilliam, offensive guard Ryan Hunter, receiver Tyron Johnson, tight end Hunter Kampmoeyer, receiver Jason Moore Jr. and receiver Joe Reed.

Reed was a fifth-round choice in 2020.

Two undrafted rookies, defensive tackle Forrest Merrill and linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga, made the initial 53-player roster.

Nobody’s going to have a bead on what we’re doing.”
CHARGERS DEFENSIVE TACKLE JUSTIN JONES, ON TRICKERY OF THE NEW DEFENSE

the Chargers are benefiting from Staley’s designs that emphasize multiple personnel groupings, disguised looks and a play-downhill attitude.

“They’re not going to know who’s blitzing, who’s coming, who’s not,” defensive tackle Justin Jones said. “We’re never a standstill defense … and it’s going to change game by game. Nobody’s going to have a bead on what we’re doing.”

Before installing his scheme, Staley first had to sell his players on the philosophies of the defense, the whys behind all the Xs and O’s. Part of that pitch was simply pointing to the production.

It will look different from recent seasons. There will be more blitzing, varied pass coverages and multiple fronts. Cornerback Chris Harris Jr. will at times line up at safety. Pass rusher Joey Bosa could drop in coverage.

Safety Derwin James Jr. will be spread all over the field to utilize the abundant skills that made him an All-Pro in 2018. He also will relay in the huddle the signals from Staley, who called James “a rare leader.”

“People respond to him, not just his teammates,” Staley explained. “Players, coaches, everybody. There’s nobody that I would want talking to our defense [more] than him.”

Said offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, “I know this, after being around Derwin for a little bit, I’ll put my money on him over anyone.”

Through training camp and the preseason, the Chargers appear to have bought all-in on Staley and his defense — the changing pieces, the shifting looks, the plotting to establish and then expose mismatches.

Bosa said the scheme “messes with offenses” because of all the deceit and, in his ideal world, could result in “the tackle spazzing out” and allowing him a free run at the quarterback.

“I mean, I like beating guys and getting sacks,” Bosa said. “But I’ll take some free ones, as well.”

Good start to season to come out with a win in Washington. Tough defence, but got the job done. Herbie blew the cobwebs out, some nice throws. Overall, looked solid and always good to start with a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back