Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
My guess is that Howard is on the team until Tristan Thompson is waived at the deadline, then we’ll cut Dwight and sign TT

Non-guaranteed means to me that Dwight won’t have a prolonged stay here
Yep. It looks like they are hoping for the best but have a decent back-up plan if Howard doesnt work out. Potentially a finishing unit of Howard, Davis, James, Bradley and Green could be great defensively to close out games. With James and Davis to play a two man game on offence late in games Howard to stay near the bucket for lob passes Green and Bradley on the perimeter. Unfortunately lots of things look great on paper that dont work out when egos and injuries get in the way. How well James plays defence in big games is one of the biggest question marks. He could be great if he isnt as worn down as he has been in the last two years or he could be terrible if he's still battling injuries and conserving energy in games. No Cousins probaly means Davis will shoot a bit more from the outside in offensive sets as McGee and provided his back to full fitness Howard play close to the bucket. I read a scouting report on Davis that said he hits threes at just under 40% in catch and shoot situations, but is far worse off the dribble. Potentially with James penetrating he should be able to hit career highs in threes.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
AD is a monster

Liking the makeup of our role players now. Read on twitter that we have some team handshakes now, unlike last season - chemistry going to be high

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Dudley and Cook not playing it will be interesting to see what the final 12 is for the first game. Only watched highlights but like the look of Devontae Cacok. Looks quick and active. We need a back-up four in my view in the roster with Kuzma out. KCP far from great by the looks of things.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
Troy Daniels and Danny Green looked pretty sharp at times. If these guys are 'on' they're going to drain some 3's with the open looks they get.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LeBron is a superstar.

But, dribbling aimlessly before driving to the ring and dishing with 1 second left on the shot clock to a guy who has a defender on his arse is not a sound strategy.

Lakers need way more ball movement and need to get it started much earlier.

As per Son of Skeletor season preview LeBron/Brow/other big dude did not work well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
LeBron is a superstar.

But, dribbling aimlessly before driving to the ring and dishing with 1 second left on the shot clock to a guy who has a defender on his arse is not a sound strategy.

Lakers need way more ball movement and need to get it started much earlier.

As per Son of Skeletor season preview LeBron/Brow/other big dude did not work well.

Let's be honest... He's a superstar on offense.
The guy is a downright liability on the other end.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
That's why kobe > lebron

Kobe wasn't exactly the greatest defender either.
It's definitely why Jordan is the greatest.

This is obvoiusly bias but i'd trust Kawhi to lead a team over Lebron any day. KCP, Bradley, Howard, Cook.... These guys wouldn't get a gig with any other competing team... Their roster is a mess but they're the Lakers so the cracks get papered over.

Kobe wasn't exactly the greatest defender either.
It's definitely why Jordan is the greatest.

This is obvoiusly bias but i'd trust Kawhi to lead a team over Lebron any day. KCP, Bradley, Howard, Cook.... These guys wouldn't get a gig with any other competing team... Their roster is a mess but they're the Lakers so the cracks get papered over.

Kobe wasnt hte geratest defender, yes. But when he locked down, they stayed locked.

The roster is a shambles, no chemistry at the moment. Hopefully it builds and gets better. The Lakers will always be scrutinised.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
LeBron actually displayed great effort on defence and overall was fantastic, the main issue for the Lakers is the abhorrent roster he's put together and a front office more interested in star power than winning

FWIW I think my Celtics are guilty of the same exact thing. Should have built through the draft and not get bedazzled by FA talent.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
Game v Utah Jazz.

Troy Daniels could hardly miss, KCP and Cook went 1-11 from 3 but Lakers still won in a canter.

LBJ was LBJ. AD was solid. Good energy from Dwight, Bradley and Green terrorised them in the 1st half. Elite defence there.

Still building chemistry and the crowd got some free Taco's.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
We might have to play AD at the 5 more often than he would prefer. Danny Green is even better than I was expecting. KCP is so awful it doesn't bear thinking about -- hopefully when Kuzma comes back he loses all his minutes.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Few thoughts:

AD at the five needs to be done to close out games, at the very least. Spacing was so much better when we had him at the C. Reckon our best five is going to be Bradley/Green/LBJ/Kuz/Davis, would be okay with bringing Kuz off the bench though with Jav or Dwight starting

Green is superb, brings great defensive energy, and Bradley is doing just what we need from him. Really happy with these two guys

Dwight might have gone from one of the most hated Lakers ever to very much a shining light for Laker fans in the space of two games! He's provided some great defensive energy. He's been playing better than McGee for sure

KCP is dogshit. would actually prefer to have J.R. at this point, at least he can get hot from three and has a bit more height

Love having guys like Daniels who can hit threes on a consistent basis, just gotta hope Cook can begin to do the same in the future

Getting Iggy onto this roster as a well-rounded wing would be the cherry this roster needs, hopefully that can happen at some point this season

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kobe wasnt hte geratest defender, yes. But when he locked down, they stayed locked.

The roster is a shambles, no chemistry at the moment. Hopefully it builds and gets better. The Lakers will always be scrutinised.
Yeah I agree. Early days but giving the ball to Lebron to and getting him to initiate offence doesnt seem to work as well as Id hoped. LeBron was a great defender for a while. He's been decent on the defensive end so far in what ive seen, but miles off the two way player he was at Miami.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Few thoughts:

AD at the five needs to be done to close out games, at the very least. Spacing was so much better when we had him at the C. Reckon our best five is going to be Bradley/Green/LBJ/Kuz/Davis, would be okay with bringing Kuz off the bench though with Jav or Dwight starting

Green is superb, brings great defensive energy, and Bradley is doing just what we need from him. Really happy with these two guys

Dwight might have gone from one of the most hated Lakers ever to very much a shining light for Laker fans in the space of two games! He's provided some great defensive energy. He's been playing better than McGee for sure

KCP is dogshit. would actually prefer to have J.R. at this point, at least he can get hot from three and has a bit more height

Love having guys like Daniels who can hit threes on a consistent basis, just gotta hope Cook can begin to do the same in the future

Getting Iggy onto this roster as a well-rounded wing would be the cherry this roster needs, hopefully that can happen at some point this season

I would love to get Iggy. There is not much noise about his departure and the impact to GSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back