Teams Los Angeles Rams - The Rammers

Remove this Banner Ad

Rams see Super Bowl as “unprecedented opportunity” to develop fan base

Posted by Josh Alper on February 3, 2022, 6:45 AM EST

In both Week 18 and last weekend’s NFC Championship Game, much was made of the number of 49ers fans who were at SoFi Stadium to root against the Rams.

That’s not what any team is looking for in a home game and Rams COO Kevin Demoff said on Wednesday that it was “a reminder to every person in our organization of the work we have to do” in order to build the kind of fan base that would stop that from happening in the future. Demoff said building that support “comes with sustained success and sustained investment in the market,” but added that he believes that effort is getting a major boost from having the Rams taking part in the Super Bowl in their stadium.

“I think it’s an unprecedented opportunity for the Los Angeles Rams,” Demoff said, via Brady Henderson of ESPN.com. “When you get a chance to play in the Super Bowl, that always helps win fans’ hearts and minds. When you get a chance to host a Super Bowl, that obviously helps elevate your brand, the SoFi Stadium brand, the NFL in Los Angeles as a whole. When you combine those two, it’s an unbelievably powerful mix to develop that next generation of fandom.”

The Rams have been in Los Angeles for six seasons and they’ve gone to the playoffs four times and advanced to the Super Bowl twice in the last five seasons, which is the kind of success Demoff cited as necessary to create a larger following. A win on February 13 would give that effort an even bigger boost.

Happy with the current state of the Rams? Thank Eric Dickerson

Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2022, 10:13 PM EST

The Rams, under Sean McVay, have become a perennial contender. On Sunday, they’ll play in their second Super Bowl in five years under McVay.

Before McVay there was Jeff Fisher. And without Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson taking on Fisher in 2016, McVay possibly wouldn’t have been hired in 2017.

“It started because I had said on my radio show about — in LA we want to win,” Dickerson told PFT Live on Tuesday, in an appearance promoting his autobiography, Watch My Smoke. “We don’t want to almost win. And they say, ‘Aw, man if we’d have had another quarter, if this wouldn’t have happened.’ That’s what losers say. I said we need to win. Sitting at 8-8, 7-9 is just not going to cut it. I said, ‘This is L.A., this is not St. Louis.’

“Then, I got a call from Jeff Fisher. He called me and said that they did not want me on the sideline, I made the players feel uncomfortable, I made his coaches feel uncomfortable. That’s what he said to me. I mean he said that. I’m not going to talk about his players and expect things from the team.”

Dickerson said he listened until Fisher was finished. At that point, Fisher tried to end the call.

“‘Oh no, no, no, no, it’s my turn now,'” Dickerson told Fisher. “I broke it down to him. I said, ‘Jeff, I really want to thank you for the call. I appreciate it. But understand one thing: Eff the Rams. I don’t work for the Rams, I didn’t work for the Rams.’ I said, ‘I played for that football team. I wore that uniform.’ I said, ‘Man, you’re just a coach. When you leave the Rams, I will still always be Eric Dickerson of the Los Angeles Rams.’ Went on and then said, ‘Eric, man, I don’t want that. I want you to come to the games.’ I said, ‘As long as you’re head coach, I’ll never come back.'”

Fisher was fired later that season. Then came McVay. In his second year, the team landed in the Super Bowl. Three years later, the Rams have another chance to win it all.

If they do, Rams fans should remember to thank Eric Dickerson.

Cooper Kupp wins offensive player of the year

Posted by Charean Williams on February 10, 2022, 10:35 PM EST

No one benefitted more from the Rams’ trade for Matthew Stafford than Cooper Kupp. In his first four seasons, his single-season highs came in 2019 when he 94 receptions for 1,161 yards and 10 touchdowns.

In 2021, Kupp led the NFL with 145 receptions for 1,947 yards and 16 touchdowns. Only Michael Thomas had more catches (149) and only Calvin Johnson had more receiving yards (1,964).

Kupp earned Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors for the first time in five seasons, and on Thursday night at NFL Honors, he was awarded with the league’s offensive player of the year award.

Kupp gets a chance to continue his outstanding season Sunday in Super Bowl LVI. A Super Bowl MVP award would cap a season to remmember for Kupp.

Andrew Whitworth wins Walter Payton Man of the Year

Posted by Charean Williams on February 10, 2022, 11:03 PM EST

The most prestigious award the NFL gives out is the Walter Payton Man of the Year. Each team nominates one player for it.

Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth became the first player from the Rams ever to win it.

The award, which is presented to a player in recognition of his “outstanding community service activities off the field, as well as excellence on it,” capped off the NFL Honors show Thursday night.

Whitworth, 40, is the first offensive lineman to win Man of the Year since the Baltimore’s Matt Birk in 2011. On Sunday, Whitworth will become the oldest starting offensive lineman in Super Bowl history when the Rams play his former team, the Bengals.

Whitworth launched the Big Whit Homes for L.A. Families program at the beginning of the season and pledged to donate $20,000 after each Rams home game. He also made donations to repair homes in his home state of Louisiana and moved Angelenos facing housing insecurity into affordable homes.

Whitworth also works with non-profits in L.A. to aid people in paying rent, buying groceries and offers support for down payments and the furnishing of home. When Hurricane Ida hit Louisiana in August, Whitworth parented with Rebuilding Together to assist with essential home repairs to damaged homes.

For winning Man of the Year, Whitworth receives a $250,000 donation to the charity of his choice.

The other 31 nominees receive a $40,000 donation in their name to a charity of their choice.

Sean McVay: I want to find balance between work, family in the future

Posted by Josh Alper on February 12, 2022, 9:29 AM EST

Rams head coach Sean McVay turned 36 in January and will wrap up his fifth year as an NFL head coach with Sunday’s Super Bowl, so it may be a bit early to think about the end of his coaching career but the topic came up during his Friday press conference.

McVay was asked if he could see himself coaching into his 60s like Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll and said he “won’t make it” that long. After being asked why he felt that way, McVay first said he was joking before pivoting to talk about his upcoming marriage and desire to “find that balance” as he starts a family.

McVay’s grandfather John was an NFL coach and executive, but his father did not go that route. McVay believes his father would have been “an unbelievable coach,” but didn’t want to miss out on big chunks of his children’s lives because of his job. The Rams coach said he’s “always remembered that.”

“I know I love football and I’m so invested in this thing, and I’m in the moment right now,” McVay said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “But at some point too if you said, ‘What do you want to be able to do?’ I want to be able have a family, and I want to be able to spend time with them, and I also know how much time is taken away during these months of the year.”

One route McVay could take is a move from the sideline to the broadcast booth. Andrew Marchand of the New York Post reported this week that television executives would be interested in McVay and that he could likely make at least $10 million a year in that role if he chose to switch jobs.

There’s no sign McVay’s thinking about doing that now and he ended his discussion of the topic on Friday by saying “you’ll probably be talking to me when I’m 61 doing this stuff,” but the distance between now and that point leaves a lot of time for McVay to explore options outside of being an NFL head coach.

Sean McVay doesn’t shout down potential retirement/resignation questions

Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2022, 2:04 PM EST

The sudden chatter regarding a possible surprise retirement by Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald trumped the prior chatter regarding a possible surprise retirement by Rams coach Sean McVay.

Appearing on NFL Network after the Super Bowl LVI victory (via Andrew Marchand of the New York Post), the 36-year-old McVay didn’t shout down the possibility as ludicrous.

Yes, he began his answer with three words: “No. No. No.”

But then he following with this: “I’m so happy for this team right now. So happy to be associated with it. We’re gonna enjoy tonight.”

It all could be part of a subtle dance by McVay. In the days preceding the Super Bowl, Marchand reported that ESPN would pursue McVay for Monday Night Football, if McVay leaves the Rams. However, McVay likely wouldn’t walk away on the possibility of getting paid eight figures by a network. He’d need to have that offer in hand before stepping down.

That may be the message to all parties concerned. If Rams owner Stan Kroenke wants to keep McVay, the time is now to make him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NFL. If a network wants to grab him, it should start putting money on the table.

For now, he can just sit back and wait for everything to materialize. If Kroenke wants to keep McVay, it’s time to make a move. If someone else wants to snag him, the door will never be more open than it is right now.

f10b4pbl0qh81.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Donald: If we bring everybody back, then I’ll come back

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 17, 2022, 11:48 AM EST

Despite talk before the Super Bowl that Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald could ride off into the sunset and retire as a champion, Donald is indicating that he will play in 2022.

Donald said during the Rams’ victory celebration that he plans to “run it back,” and afterward he said he wants to remain with the Rams as long as they bring back the whole core group of players who won Super Bowl LVI.

“If we bring everybody back, I’m back,” Donald told TMZ.com. “Odell Beckham, Von Miller, we bring them guys back, let’s make it happen.”

Beckham and Miller are the Rams’ two highest-profile free agents. The Rams certainly can make enough salary cap space to re-sign both of them, although Beckham’s torn ACL may knock him out for the entire 2022 season regardless of whether he re-signs with the Rams. There’s every reason to believe the Rams will bring back a roster very similar to the one that just won the Super Bowl.

NFL photographer Kelly Smiley will have her hospital expenses and the replacement of her damaged camera gear covered by the Los Angeles Rams and quarterback Matthew Stafford and his wife, Kelly, following a fall that fractured Smiley's spine on Wednesday while she worked at the Rams' Super Bowl parade.
"We have been in communication with Kelly Smiley since yesterday's incident and we are sorry for what happened," the Rams and Staffords said in a Thursday statement. "As we told Kelly, we will be covering all her hospital bills and replacing her cameras. We wish her a speedy recovery."
Smiley fell from a stage while taking photos during the Rams' victory parade three days after it won Super Bowl LVI.
Smiley later said on social media that she fractured her spine and broke each of her cameras.
There has also been a GoFundMe set up to aid in Smiley's expenses.

NFL photographer Kelly Smiley will have her hospital expenses and the replacement of her damaged camera gear covered by the Los Angeles Rams and quarterback Matthew Stafford and his wife, Kelly, following a fall that fractured Smiley's spine on Wednesday while she worked at the Rams' Super Bowl parade.
"We have been in communication with Kelly Smiley since yesterday's incident and we are sorry for what happened," the Rams and Staffords said in a Thursday statement. "As we told Kelly, we will be covering all her hospital bills and replacing her cameras. We wish her a speedy recovery."
Smiley fell from a stage while taking photos during the Rams' victory parade three days after it won Super Bowl LVI.
Smiley later said on social media that she fractured her spine and broke each of her cameras.
There has also been a GoFundMe set up to aid in Smiley's expenses.
Stafford was kind of obliged after he walked off after seeing her fall 6ft. What a campaigner of a bloke

Had it not been circulated on the internet he wouldn't have done s**t

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Stafford was kind of obliged after he walked off after seeing her fall 6ft. What a campaigner of a bloke

Had it not been circulated on the internet he wouldn't have done sh*t

Thats true but in the US people don't want to get involved coz they can get sued for something, even helping.

Thats true but in the US people don't want to get involved coz they can get sued for something, even helping.

Terrible excuse, you cant get sued for asking if youre alright and calling an ambulance.

If the help and it causes further injury then yes

But just asking if they are OK, which his wife was at least doing, then no he couldn't be sued

He was just being a campaigner. And when there was video photage his PR wanted to try and change the narrative to him being a white knight

Report: Rams negotiating to buy former shopping mall for team facility

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 24, 2022, 3:43 PM EST

The Rams just won their second Lombardi Trophy in franchise history.

Soon, they may have a new permanent case for both of them in Southern California.

According to a Thursday report by the Los Angeles Times, the Rams are in negotiations to buy a former shopping mall on the edge of L.A. county in Woodland Hills for a new practice facility.

The site currently houses the remnants of a mall with a movie theater and a few restaurants. According to the report, the idea is to build a team headquarters and surround it with a mixed-use development. The 34-acre site could cost the Rams more than $150 million. The team would also be able to host its training camp there with fans in attendance.

Since moving back to Los Angeles in 2016, the Rams have been operating out of two different buildings — one for football operations and one for business operations — separated by about 12 miles. The team’s football facility is currently located in Thousand Oaks, which is about 23 miles from the proposed site.

The potential facility is just under 30 miles from SoFi Stadium.

The Chargers, who relocated to L.A. from San Diego in 2017, announced in November that they’ll move into a new facility on El Segundo, Calif. in 2024. The site is on a 14-acre plot of land and about six miles from SoFi Stadium.

How much did Sean McVay get to stay with the Rams?

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2022, 7:58 PM EST

Rams coach Sean McVay may have told the truth to Adam Schefter of ESPN, but McVay surely didn’t tell the whole truth.

Yes, McVay is staying with the Rams and he will not be pursuing television opportunities. That’s all McVay said. But there’s so much more to the story. Either Schefter didn’t ask, or McVay didn’t tell.

The reality is, most likely, that Schefter caught wind of the rumor making the round late Friday that McVay has gotten paid huge money to stay with the Rams, and that McVay was willing to provided implicit, backhanded confirmation of that fact. Coupled with the report from Andrew Marchand of the New York Post that McVay was due to meet with Amazon next week, it’s obvious that something happened to make that meeting moot.

Something surely involving Rams owner Stan Kroenke giving McVay a huge raise to stay put.

So how much? One source with knowledge of the market for head-coaching salaries estimates that, if a new deal was done, it’s between $15 million and $18 million per year. With Marchand reporting that Amazon was willing to go up to $100 million for five years, maybe McVay got even more.

For the highest-paid coaches, pegging their full compensation becomes a tricky proposition. Many get extra pay from entities other than the team. For example, Bill Belichick’s official salary with the Patriots is far less than the full extent of his overall package, which is believed to be in excess of $20 million per year.

Will McVay get $20 million or more per year? Unless McVay is willing to thump his chest and tell the world how much he makes (and some are), we’ll never know. Given that he chose not to tell Schefter about the new contract McVay undoubtedly has gotten from Kroenke, chances are we’ll never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back