Teams Los Angeles Rams - The Rammers

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally out played. Congratulations to the New England Patriots far far too good.

I thought our defence were very good to keep Brady, Edelman and Gronkowsky to 13 points. Couldn't stop the run when required though.

The Offence was deplorable. Very ordinary play calling. McVay was pantsed by the master.

Goff was overawed by the occasion and didn't play well - having said that his O-line and his coach didn't do him many favours. The Pats D was immense.

Gurley was totally under utilized. So many missed opportunities.

Sad way to finish off such a fine season.

Last edited:
Totally out played. Congratulations to the New England Patriots far far too good.

I thought our defence were very good to keep Brady, Edelman and Gronkowsky to 13 points. Couldn't stop the run when required though.

The Offence was deplorable. Very ordinary play calling. McVay was pantsed by the master.

Goff was overawed by the occasion and didn't play well - having said that his O-line and his coach didn't do him many favours. The Pats D was immense.

Gurley was totally under utilized. So many missed opportunities.

Sad way to finish off such a fine season.

Pretty much everything I was thinking.

Bad luck mate!

Pretty much everything I was thinking.

Bad luck mate!

Thanks Fuey -- appreciate it -- a bit shattered at the moment ( a bit like we all felt after the 2012 GF ) :(

Bad luck guys, obviously today didn't go anywhere near what you'd hoped. You had a good season and I hope, for your sakes, that they use this as a launching pad to bigger and better things.

Cheers mate. Fingers crossed we can learn from it and get back there - obviously no guarantees - such a hard game to get back into ( for everyone except the Patriots of course -- sigh :rolleyes: )

Posted it in the SB thread, but I'll say it again, nothing like a gun slot receiver for a QB under pressure, Goff missed his boy Kupp a heap today.

I know different reasons behind both, but jeez, Gurley and Goff both performed like Jeff Fisher was coaching today. McVay would be disappointed he couldn't get anything going.

Wade Phillips and the D on the other hand, jeez they came on massively these playoffs, hard to take many positives out of a result like that but they played amazing for a unit that barely had time to catch their breathe all game long.

Totally underwhelming, but cannot add too much more than what a few have already said. That offence was beyond the most frustrating thing I have ever watched in years. Given the odds are one Superbowl every 32 years, feel we blew our best chance ever. Chiefs will be the form team next year, and the Saints and Patriots will hang around as usual. Chicago are a team who can only get better that we do not match up well agaisnt. Will not get any easier to make it again.

The question is, what now? Offensive Line is a little old, how many of our loaded defence will we hang on to? Will we be weaker and have more holes in that department? Can we find a good, genuine linebacker in free agency or the draft? We did seem to go the all or nothing approach this season, as much as I'd love to keep the same people, cannot see it happening.

The only plus side is Goff wont command a kings ransom on his next contract, doesn't step up in big games and the play offs. Only played half a good season this year.

The worst part of the loss, is listening to the room packed with Patriots fans gloating loudly, and throughout the whole day them trying to convince me they didn't jump on the bandwagon. Like f off honestly, 99% of them jumped on the bandwagon of a winning team because they couldn't be stuffed finding a legit reason to pick a team to follow. Probably my pet hate listening to Patriot and Alabama fans try convince me otherwise :rolleyes:

Cap relief. Sullivan started all 16 games for the Rams and seemed to have good synergy with Goff. Snead must have options at both positions as depth was lean at C and ILB throughout the season.

I think I read on a site that checks salary caps for all major leagues and sports in America listed that we had nearly 30 Million in space for this offseason, which was bottom half of the league, but about a third of the teams were on same or less space than us. Adding in the 13 million today, it will give us 40 million in cap space to play with for this year. Hopefully we make a play for a legit LB in the free agency. But it does give us room to sign 2-3 solid players on short deals given Goff still has a couple of years left on his rookie deal and our two best players are locked down long term. OL depth, LB and DB our biggest needs. Probably could do with a tall/strong legit deep threat/red zone WR. Catch those balls Cooks dropped, we may have just got up in the SB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a good pick up, can play, a veteran and has a good football IQ. My only worry is his age, and whether he has the pace to stop anyone burning us deep given Peters gets burnt a lot.

Last edited:
Clay Matthews as well now. I was hoping badly we'd get a safety, DL and two LB's in free agency. So far we have covered two of those. Matthews has lost a fair bit of pace, but should still be a solid pick up for us. We just need a younger more athletic type to be able to play both pass and run situations.

And for those who wondered why we haven't been overly active during the early hot days of the free agency window. Apparently our cap space was only around 8 million, not the 25-30 I mentioned. Turns out the info was based on last year, which was before the previous season began, new contracts etc. That's why we have let a few players go to open up some more room.

Last edited:
Clay Matthews as well now. I was hoping badly we'd get a safety, DL and two LB's in free agency. So far we have covered two of those. Matthews has lost a fair bit of pace, but should still be a solid pick up for us. We just need a younger more athletic type to be able to play both pass and run situations.

And for those who wondered why we haven't been overly active during the early hot days of the free agency window. Apparently our cap space was only around 8 million, not the 25-30 I mentioned. Turns out the info was based on last year, which was before the previous season began, new contracts etc. That's why we have let a few players go to open up some more room.

I think he’ll be a good pick up.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...geles-rams-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

Round 2, No. 61 overall: Taylor Rapp, DB, Washington

My Take: Rapp will provide immediate depth behind veteran Eric Weddle and John Johnson III and could quickly develop into a starting-caliber safety.
There were rumors after the draft started that Rapp was not fully healthy after he suffered a hip injury before Washington played Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, but Rapp confirmed to reporters shortly after he was selected Thursday night that he is healthy, and that the injury is no longer an issue.

Round 3, No. 70: Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis

My take: The Rams needed to build depth at running back as uncertainty looms over Todd Gurley II and his left knee. Henderson was projected by some as the top running back prospect in the draft and rushed for 31 touchdowns in three seasons at Memphis. Expect Henderson to earn the third spot on the depth chart behind Gurley and Malcolm Brown, who the Rams matched an offer sheet for as a restricted free agency.
NFL draft profile: Darrell Henderson is a running back from Memphis who led the nation with 2,328 all-purpose yards and scored 25 total touchdowns during his junior season.
What’s next: The Rams traded up to select Henderson, sending their 94th and 99th picks to the Buccaneers. They will select again with the 79th and 101st overall picks. Offensive and defensive linemen remain positions of need.

Round 3, No. 79: David Long, CB, Michigan

My take: Long returns to his hometown Los Angeles to provide depth at cornerback behind Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters. A two year starter at Michigan, Long intercepted three passes, including one last season. It is unlikely Long will be called upon his rookie season, but his development will be critical given Talib is entering the final season of his contract and the Rams must negotiate an extension with Peters.
NFL draft profile: David Long is a cornerback from Michigan who was named first-team All-Big Ten in 2018.
What’s next: After trading the 94th and 99th picks to the Buccaneers in exchange for the 70th overall pick, the Rams will make their next pick at No. 101.

Round 3, No. 97: Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma

NFL draft profile: Bobby Evans is an offensive tackle out of Oklahoma who earned second team All-Big 12 honors during his senior year.
My take: Evans played right and left tackle at Oklahoma and will learn at the elbow of Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein as a rookie. After losing veteran starters Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan, the Rams went into the draft needing to build depth on the line. Evans is a versatile selection.

What's next: The trade-happy Rams, who moved up from the 101st pick to the 97th pick to select Evans, will make their next picks in the fifth round with the 162nd, 167th and 169th selections.

Round 4, No. 134 overall: Greg Gaines, DL, Washington

My take: The Rams entered the draft needing to fill a hole on the defensive line caused by the departure of Ndamukong Suh , who is not expected to be re-signed. Gaines, who the Rams traded up to select, is a candidate to play immediately at the nose tackle position, which would allow veteran Michael Brockers to remain at defensive end.

Round 5, No. 169 overall: David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin

My take: Edwards is the second offensive tackle selected by the Rams following Oklahoma's Bobby Evans. The Rams continue to not only build depth on the line after losing veterans Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan, but continue to build for the future. Edwards will be brought in to learn from veterans Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein, who also played at Wisconsin.

Round 7, No. 243 overall: Nick Scott, S, Penn State

My take: Scott is the second safety selected by the Rams after they picked Rapp in the second round. In a secondary that features veteran Eric Weddle and John Johnson III, Scott could make an immediate impact on special teams.

Round 7, No. 251 overall: Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech

My take: Allen starred on the Netflix series "Last Chance U" in the middle of his college career after he was kicked out of Texas Tech after an arrest for second-degree felony burglary. Allen redeemed himself at East Mississippi College and was re-admitted into Texas Tech to play the remainder of his career. Allen adds much-needed depth at linebacker, where the Rams released veteran starter Mark Barron.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...8rseWVJDgp-b_vo-Bnn2C_7-9b7C4nF-OE8sUJfnAwbJQ

Rams waive Blake Countess and sign OLB Josh Carraway.

He’s a great athlete for being 6-foot-3, 242 pounds, running a 4.74 40-yard dash with 25 reps in the bench press at the combine two years ago. His 60-yard shuttle time of 11.71 seconds was among the best at his position.

Carraway hasn’t produced anything in the NFL, suiting up for just one game in two seasons. He fits the mold of a 3-4 outside linebacker, though, so perhaps the Rams can find a way to get him on the field.

Still, faces a tough challenge just to make the 53-man roster this year.

Jared Goff Isn’t Hiding From That Super Bowl Stumble

The supercharged Rams managed just three points against the Patriots on the big stage, but their young quarterback is using those failures to learn and move on—and up—this offseason.

Some players and coaches treat a Super Bowl loss like it never happened and figuratively bury the result like a dead body. Others try to confront the setback at every turn, making it a talking point that they won’t avoid the past.

Jared Goff, in the aftermath of Super Bowl LIII, did neither.

The Rams scored three points in the game. Goff threw a devastating fourth-quarter interception, saw half his throws fall incomplete and posted a 57.9 rating. And the offense that 33-year-old coach Sean McVay had turned into the NFL’s most dangerous over the last two years in L.A. was rendered a speed bump on Bill Belichick’s path to a sixth title.

So how did Goff process the Super Bowl? How did he deal with it in the aftermath?
By treating it like any other loss. Or win, for that matter.

“Oh yeah. I went back and watched it the day after,” Goff said on Friday, after wrapping up the Rams’ third week of OTAs. “Postgame, tried to treat it like any other game where you’re evaluating yourself. O Obviously there were much bigger implications, but you just go through it like you would, and evaluate what you think you did well and what you didn’t do well, and move on.

“And yeah, it took longer than a regular game to move on from, because there wasn’t a game after it to fix what you’d done in the previous game. But it’s part of the process. Every year there’s a team that goes through this. This year it’s us.”

Goff then pointed out that losing the Super Bowl isn’t the curse it used to be.

He’s right, too. Eight of nine teams this decade to fall on the biggest stage made the playoffs the next year, six of those got through to the divisional round, five won at least one playoff game, and the last team in that spot, last year’s Patriots, bounced back to win it all the following season.

“It’s something we’re able to look forward to—you’ve seen teams come off losing it and win it the following year,” Goff said. “It’s not going to happen overnight, it’s not going to happen just because the Patriots did it—it’s not like, ‘OK, they lost two years ago and last year they beat us, so that’s our track.’ That’s not how it works, and we understand that.”

But, he continued, if the Rams follow the road that they have for the last 29 months or so, there’s no reason he, and the team, can’t bounce back quickly. For the quarterback, the first steps were taken that next day at the team facility, confronting what stood between him and the Lombardi Trophy.

[IMG]

By: Andrew Ortenberg | June 24, 2019 4:50 pm ET

Jared Goff has made incredible strides the past couple of seasons. The Los Angeles Rams quarterback has gone from looking lost as a rookie, to making the Pro Bowl each of the last two seasons. His transformation even culminated in a Super Bowl run as a 24-year-old last season.

But Goff would be the first to tell you that his development isn’t complete, and he still has a lot of things to work on. The Goff-Sean McVay partnership has worked wonders so far, but the duo isn’t letting the success go to their heads. Goff indicated earlier this offseason that he was working on getting through his progressions a little quicker during OTAs, and now we have more confirmation that’s been an area of focus.

[IMG]

In his recent MMQB column for Sports Illustrated, Albert Breer broke down what exactly Goff has been working on during OTAs and minicamp. Breer writes that “the Rams spend their spring trying to master their own offense,” and that “the offensive calls going in this spring routinely put Goff and the offense in a spot where they have to react post-snap.”

This means Goff is focusing on improving at adapting to what the defense calls, and going through his progressions rapidly with little time to react to what he’s seeing.

[IMG]

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

It seems to be paying off so far, as Breer has been told that “Goff’s done a better job this spring in more quickly getting to his second read, then to his third read or checkdown.” Ever since Goff started to break out, his success has been diminished by detractors who credit McVay for most of the Rams’ success.

The criticism has never been very fair, but it’s also true that Goff’s game isn’t perfect. He struggled at times under pressure last year, like during the Bears and Eagles games, and wasn’t always prepared when things broke down. Clearly he’s making it a point of emphasis this offseason, and it sounds like it’s working. Breer writes that the Rams are calling plays in practice that purposefully won’t line up well with what the defense is showing, forcing Goff to react after the snap and get out of his comfort zone on his first read.

Although Goff more or less did all he could to extinguish the ‘system quarterback’ label once and for all last season, doubts have persisted. If Goff can get even better at playing off-script and adjusting on the fly, he should put all those doubts to rest permanently in 2019.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2image

Remove this Banner Ad

Back