Teams Los Angeles Rams - The Rammers

Remove this Banner Ad

Rams sign Steven Jackson, he retires as a Ram

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

Running back Steven Jackson made countless plays over the course of his career as a Ram.

He made an impact from the time he entered the league as a first-round pick out of Oregon State. He rushed for 673 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie in 2004 — helping the Rams secure a playoff berth and defeat the Seahawks in the Wild Card round.

SJ39-sign16x9

From there, Jackson recorded eight consecutive seasons with 1,000 yards rushing from 2005-2012 — his last season with the club. In the process, Jackson became the Rams’ all-time leading rusher with 10,138 yards in 131 games.

Now as the Rams continue their 2019 training camp, Jackson has signed a one-day contract to retire as a member of the organization.

It’s fitting for someone who has meant so much to the franchise. And as No. 18 in all-time rushing yards — one of just 21 players to eclipse 11,000 — Jackson has a case to eventually be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Very sloppy game in all three phases by both teams I thought guys. The RBs for both teams and two linebackers, Cory Littleton (gun, the difference in the end) and Shaq Thompson the only players to play well imo.

Cam's a huge worry, I'm all for him hitting a higher completion percentage by if he can't stretch the field we are ****ed. We kept Donald quiet on the interior but left Fowler to roam free far too often.

Interesting how McVay only used Gurley between the 20s. Malcolm Brown the goal line TD vulture is going to drive fantasy players mad...haha

That cut on Weddles head from the CMac hurdle, * me, a heap of blood.

You were the better team, Margin was kind to us, we were never really in it....far too sloppy from us in the first half especially. GG.

Very sloppy game in all three phases by both teams I thought guys. The RBs for both teams and two linebackers, Cory Littleton (gun, the difference in the end) and Shaq Thompson the only players to play well imo.

Cam's a huge worry, I'm all for him hitting a higher completion percentage by if he can't stretch the field we are f’ed. We kept Donald quiet on the interior but left Fowler to roam free far too often.

Interesting how McVay only used Gurley between the 20s. Malcolm Brown the goal line TD vulture is going to drive fantasy players mad...haha

That cut on Weddles head from the CMac hurdle, fu** me, a heap of blood.

You were the better team, Margin was kind to us, we were never really in it....far too sloppy from us in the first half especially. GG.

Agreed sloppy game but not without its highlights. McCaffrey is a gun and it was great to see some great plays from Woods ad Gurley on our side.

I remember when Cam was at his best it was almost like run first throw later -- now he seems to sit in the pocket and it's way too predictable.

Not sure why he doesn't run more ... maybe the hits have taken toll?

I thought if not for some silly errors the Panthers could quite easily have won it. Lost it on turnovers 3-1.

Pleased to get the W first up but we will have to significantly improve if we are to beat the Saints next week.

Rams@Panthers.png

Rams escape with a W against the Browns. 20-13 -- With a minute to play the Browns are 1st and goal with all three time outs remaining -- and not once to the Browns hand it to Chubb ? I thought that was very odd. They throw on each down and Johnson makes the INT on the last.

The Rams D was outstanding - Matthews, Weddle, Littleton all great -- Aaron Donald is just a Freak.

The Rams O is not firing as well as we would hope but it is early. Kupp with the game ball on O.

Rams just lost a highly entertaining game at the Colosseum to Tampa.

Tampa piled on 21-0 before the Rams woke up and were in it at the end marching down the field in the last with score 48-40. Then Goff fumbles and former Ram Suh takes it in for the TD and the Buccs win 55-40.

You could say both O's moved the ball relatively easily. The difference being 3xINT's thrown by Goff.

Rams need to lick their wounds and get their collective heads around a huge divisional game against Seattle on Thursday.

It's kind of the same old problems though. Goff is too inconsistent. One moment he will look like one of the best passers in the league, the next minute he looks like the worst. Last year our defense largely struggled to contain good passing attacks. When they have an off day, they have a really off day. Still a long season, and plenty of games to tidy things up. But I sure hope that in 5 years time we won't be looking back at the Superbowl early this year and realized we pissed away our best opportunity. Felt more confident this time last year about the team than I do for this years edition.

That being said, it was a very entertaining game to watch. Tampa Bay have one of the best WR duos in the league. Hope Peters is alright. His head bounced hard in that hit. Reckon it will be a fine given I'm pretty sure the first contact was the helmet to helmet

The New York Post's Andrew Marchand reports ESPN approached Rams coach Sean McVay about leaving coaching and becoming part of the Monday Night Football broadcast team.
It's almost laughable. There's no way a 34-year-old McVay entering his fourth season as a head coach in a top market and generally considered one of the best coaches in the sport was going to leave the sidelines to be part of ESPN's clown show. They tried at least. "A conversation was had," Marchand reports, saying ESPN viewed McVay as a Jon Gruden-type in the booth. ESPN eventually settled on a trio of Steve Levy, Louis Riddick, and Brian Griese. It was something like their Plan G after whiffing on Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Al Michaels, and pretty much whoever else they approached outside of ESPN.
SOURCE: New York Post
Aug 12, 2020, 9:22 AM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rams signed CB Jalen Ramsey to a five-year, $105 million extension.
The deal includes $71.2 million in guarantees. Ramsey resets the cornerback market, as the $21 million AAV is $3.5 million more than what Tre'Davious White got from Buffalo. Ramsey, who was entering a walk year, is now signed through 2025. With Ramsey signed, Los Angeles may turn its attention to locking up Cooper Kupp.
SOURCE: NFL Network
Sep 9, 2020, 10:19 AM ET

The stadium is looking really good.

While I like McVay as a person, I'm not sure about his offence style. Every play is roll left, roll right, and then cut back. Has he that little trust in the front 5 that he won't just allow Goff to drop back and pass? Kupp underneath and Woods deep, everyother receiver just get open.

Goff isn't going to progress as a QB if he isn't allowed to work out how defences work and how to find the best receiver. This fake right roll left to throw to Kupp in the flat might be okay as a completion but there is nothing learned by the QB in doing this. He needs to drop back, have protection watch the D shift around and find the open man.

Last edited:
Rams coach Sean McVay has yet to endorse Jared Goff as his locked in 2021 starter.
McVay raised eyebrows following Saturday's Divisional Round loss to the Packers, only saying that Goff was his starter "right now." Sunday, he doubled down. "Everything is being evaluated," McVay said. "It's all encompassing to our entire roster." You could say it's just coachspeak, but franchise players are usually spared the coachspeak. In reality, it will be all but impossible for the Rams to get Goff off their roster, as his contract is essentially uncuttable/untradeable. McVay was remorseless with cutting the cord on Todd Gurley, however, so perhaps he will be willing to start someone else. Not a mobile quarterback, Goff is also incapable of creating offense on his own as a passer. McVay has maxed out what is possible with pre-snap machinations.
SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter
Jan 17, 2021, 6:41 PM ET

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports one person close to the situation said coach Sean McVay and Jared Goff's relationship "needs marriage counseling" this offseason.
Another person described the relationship as "not great." McVay seems fed up with Goff's ups and downs, especially when the downs are basement-level play and the ups are merely mediocre. Goff held the Rams back this season, but taking away his deep threats in Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks didn't do him any favors, as guys like Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, and Josh Reynolds aren't field stretchers. McVay failed to endorse Goff as the Rams' 2021 starter, and there's a sense the Rams will bring in a more capable backup to push Goff this summer. But it's clear the relationship between the coach and quarterback is souring a bit.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Jan 18, 2021, 8:27 PM ET

Rams hired Raheem Morris as defensive coordinator.
Morris is replacing one of the best young defensive minds in Brandon Staley, but the former Falcons interim head coach is well respected himself. He's coached on both sides of the ball in the NFL, has head coaching experience, and turned the Falcons' shaky defense into a respectable unit in the second half of 2020. Morris arguably has the two best defensive players in the NFL to work with. The key will be getting everyone else in the correct spots. The Rams allowed the fewest points in the NFL last season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Jan 19, 2021, 6:13 PM ET

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports the Rams will keep as much of ex-DC Brandon Staley's scheme as possible for 2021.
Staley's scheme was built to stop the modern, pass-heavy offense. They were light in the box and mostly utilized two-high looks meant to stop the explosive pass. It obviously worked to perfection, leading Staley into a head coaching job with the Chargers. New defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will keep Staley's system and just add wrinkles based on his own experience. With the Falcons, Morris utilized a one-high defense, so it's unclear what exactly his wrinkles will be. Either way, the Rams will have arguably the two best defensive players back in Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. Los Angeles' defense should be very good in 2021.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jan 26, 2021, 7:28 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport's "understanding" is the Rams are "expected to have an open competition" at quarterback in training camp next summer, featuring Jared Goff and John Wolford.
RapSheet said that's "if" Goff remains on the roster, which is highly likely considering his contract. Wolford started two games for the Rams at the end of the season, "managing" L.A. to a win in Week 17 against the Cardinals, where he went 22-of-38 for 231 scoreless yards and an interception while leading the team in rushing with a 6-56 line. But he was hurt in the Wild Card start against Seattle, and Goff reclaimed the gig. It's clear the Rams aren't satisfied with Goff at all and are now realizing he's holding the team back. But Wolford isn't the answer. The Rams need to start taking their No. 2 QB spot seriously.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 27, 2021, 1:30 PM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back