Health Lose 12+ kilos in 12 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

The main things I am doing to cut weight;
1. Dropped carbs/alcohol/sweets. Massively keeping an eye on sugar intake as well.
2. Calorie count. Losing weight is as easy as CICO. Calories In, Calories Out. Track EVERYTHING you eat.
3. If you aren't confident with sticking to a diet with food you cook, utilise Lite and Easy or Weight Watchers etc. They list all their calories etc on their site.

I am currently 13kg down in 3 weeks, and its from cutting all the s**t I was eating, incorporating way more fruit/veg/water into the diet, and keeping a strict count of my calories V how many I can have in a day.
And this is all currently without exercise as I am home with a crook knee. Its purely diet pushing the weight loss for me.

See I've drastically reduced calories in the past and any weight loss is incredibly slow. Then I get disheartened and give up.

See I've drastically reduced calories in the past and any weight loss is incredibly slow. Then I get disheartened and give up.

You may be doing it wrong then. Your default setting is to burn ~2000 calories a day even without physical activity.

If you're eating 1500 calories a day and burning 2000 calories a day without upping physical activity then your metabolism will slow down, making it harder to lose weight as you're only encouraging the body to store calories as fat as it's not being worked off through physical activity.

What you need to do is increase your physical activity while staying at a slight deficit (say 500 calories). Doing so increases your metabolism and increases your fat burning as a result. If you're eating 2000 calories a day and burning 2500 calories while engaging in physical activity you'll speed up your metabolism and burn more fat over a longer period of time.

Essentially this means you can keep eating what you were eating before, even more if you like, provided you're burning more than you're eating through physical activity and the weight will come off. An example of this is Tour de France riders who consume 5,000-7,000 calories a day during a ride, but exert plenty of energy and as such stay in shape as their metabolism is constantly burning off the calories.

A slow metabolism means no need to convert to energy, which means storing the excess calories as fat.

Last edited:
You may be doing it wrong then. Your default setting is to burn ~2000 calories a day even without physical activity.

If you're eating 1500 calories a day and burning 2000 calories a day without upping physical activity then your metabolism will slow down, making it harder to lose weight as you're only encourages the body to store calories as fat as it's not being worked off through physical activity.

What you need to do is increase your physical activity while staying at a slight deficit (say 500 calories). Doing so increases your metabolism and increases your fat burning as a result. If you're eating 2000 calories a day and burning 2500 calories while engaging in physical activity you'll speed up your metabolism and burn more fat over a longer period of time.

Essentially this means you can keep eating what you were eating before, even more if you like, provided you're burning more than you're eating through physical activity and the weight will come off. An example of this is Tour de France riders who consume 5,000-7,000 calories a day during a ride, but exert plenty of energy and as such stay in shape as their metabolism is constantly burning off the calories.

A slow metabolism means no need to convert to energy, which means storing the excess calories as fat.

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense. It's possible the 1200 calories a day and brisk walking wasn't enough.

When I've done more intense exercise like CrossFit, I just eat more!

Everyone is different in what they like to do whilst exercising but I had the time to be able to go for 10-15km hikes daily and enjoyed it. I know majority of people don’t have the luxury of having that amount of spare time.

I’d go down the same path most days and see the same faces go by. I had one old fella stop jogging to tell me he noticed me every day and what an incredible job I was doing. People start to notice you a lot more which is weird because you’re harder to spot when you’re skinny.

I can’t offer you any advice on the whole calorie deficit thing as I was eating just one meal a day as you’d expect of someone who lost an unhealthy amount of weight over half a year timeframe. 125 to 70 but I’m also a short ass dude by Australian male standards (same height as Kozi Pickett for the Dees).

Anyone want to join me so we can hold each other accountable?

Sure why not- I can definitely relate here, I'm 42.

My gym closed down earlier this year so have been in a real rut since. Have signed up for a Boot camp starting next week (x twice a week) plus access to the gym facilities.

Happy to check in this thread now and again for accountability :thumbsu:

If you're eating 1500 calories a day and burning 2000 calories a day without upping physical activity then your metabolism will slow down, making it harder to lose weight as you're only encouraging the body to store calories as fat as it's not being worked off through physical activity.

You only needed 4 words.

Eat less, move more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I wish more fitness and weight loss people would yell from the roof tops is that when your body goes through a physical exertion you will retain fluid to recover - you'll have heavier weigh ins after working out hard assuming you hydrate appropriately - but you're heading the right direction. Weight loss won't be a steady slope, you'll trend down like the edge of a mountain range.

Just stick with it.

i'm down 3kgs for the past month, with just some subtle changes. haven't set myself a time limit or goal weight, not obese but have some spare i could lose. i expect a plateau at some point before i reassess further changes. tracking weight has it trending down and i'm not far away from my gp recommended weight of 85kg. dropped some snacking, and upped exercise from 'out of breath' to out of breath and dripping sweat.

Lost 400 grams which I'm actually rapt with because I've been sick with a cold and not been calorie counting as strictly or moving as much. Also took some of the kids chips and chocolates.

Starting weight was 76.4, I'm 5 4 so put's me on the border of overweight-obese range. I'm actually heavier then when I was 9 months pregnant.

Was 60kg before I had my first son, 66kg before I had my second.

55kg on my wedding day!

Look despite stopping any 'bad' food coming into the house in the lead up to Xmas this is not a problem I have. But I wonder if worrying numbers on a set of scales is really that important. If it was me I'd almost just chuck them out in the shed, then do the things we are supposed and we all know what they are. Try not to stress about the results and potentially getting disheartened, but keeping on doing these things it's not a question of 'if' they will come but when.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back