Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Fyfe's poor goal kicking start when that umpire blew the whistle right into his ear as he was running in for a shot on goal?

Clearly damaged his inner ear and he is out of balance when lining up for goal.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Did Fyfe's poor goal kicking start when that umpire blew the whistle right into his ear as he was running in for a shot on goal?

It's been a s**t tonne worse since his concussion.

I find it interesting this isn't being discussed.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

Saw another one on the weekend where the ump waited until the guy had finished his kick before blowing the whistle.

Everytime I see one I get pissed off all over again at what that ump did.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
This too, but there was one shot he missed that most Ammo's players would slot
His kicking is appalling and damages our side. But he is more likely to create a scoring opportunity than any other player in our side. He is not going to end up with the career he should have had if he can't improve his goal kicking.

Mundy is great kick but depends on someone else hitting him in a lead.

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Come close to saying many times Fyfe killed the momentum in big matches. Perfect example.. that GF. First shot of the game, marks and kicks it.. out on the full.
He has a weird technique kicking the ball. Mundy is so smooth, like a golf swing. Watching Fyfe is just awkward. Is it due to his wing span? His ball drop?

Footy players here will comment better, but 2 things that maybe haven't helped Fyfey:

He described himself early on as a rough round the edges player who played with the country big blokes when he was a skinny teen. Can't have aided his technique.

He also appears to lean backwards at least on his field kicks instead of forwards - am I imagining this?

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know the narrative in The West was "Fyfe's goal kicking is going to cost us a game some time"... but really if he gets it together he could possibly tear a game apart. He almost did it against Brisbane. Was it something like three marks i50 and shots on goal in a few minutes? Could you imagine if he kicked all three and the flow on momentum that would bring? He'd have more confidence and so would the whole team.
This. If his goal kicking was as good as Tabs, you could keep him forward permanently and he would legitimately be a 60 goal a year AA forward.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need a third tall forward unless we are going to redefine our forward structure again. And I am not a fan of confusing Taberner and Lobb about what little forward structure we seem to have. Mundy makes for a very good third tall (and has the right career timeframe to allow Treacy to develop which Fyfe does not), and Fyfe is the better midfielder.
If Mundy could raise the footy IQ of Tabs and Lobb by telling those guys where to run then it be worth playing him forward more

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't hold with the Aish hate either. More weeks than not he turns in a quietly supportive contribution across 4 Qs.

On Sunday when few shone, Aish was 5th for disposals, also 3rd for uncontested Ps and with more contested possies than over half the team. Conversely his clanger numbers were on a par with Brayshaw, Darcy and Tabs.

Less quantifiable but also important is that he's identified with Freo from the get-go. A fair go please folks.
Aish had a bit of a mare v Brisbane. He only had 4 effective kicks. He had 7 turnovers!

It wasn't much better against West Coast the week before, again with only 4 effective kicks. But at least only 2 turnovers that day.

You just can't have those kinds of numbers for a winger for an extended period and not expect some level of criticism.

Aish has been Mr Reliable up until the last two rounds. I am fairly sure he is carrying some kind of niggle. Looking at his posture and body language off the ball he just didn't look right. Especially noticed it in the 3rd quarter. Mundy looked a bit the same and retrospectively I found out he was treated for his back last week. Our team is obviously much better with fully fit Mundy and Aish in it. But if they aren't 100%, then I'd be resting them and going next man in - we at least have some depth available in the midfield. Tabs on the other hand has no choice but to play through his back issues.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aish had a bit of a mare v Brisbane. He only had 4 effective kicks. He had 7 turnovers!

It wasn't much better against West Coast the week before, again with only 4 effective kicks. But at least only 2 turnovers that day.

You just can't have those kinds of numbers for a winger for an extended period and not expect some level of criticism.

Aish has been Mr Reliable up until the last two rounds. I am fairly sure he is carrying some kind of niggle. Looking at his posture and body language off the ball he just didn't look right. Especially noticed it in the 3rd quarter. Mundy looked a bit the same and retrospectively I found out he was treated for his back last week. Our team is obviously much better with fully fit Mundy and Aish in it. But if they aren't 100%, then I'd be resting them and going next man in - we at least have some depth available in the midfield. Tabs on the other hand has no choice but to play through his back issues.
Over his career Aish has had a habit of putting in a row of shockers, that quite often has cost his place in the team. He’d need 3 more with us as there’s not really a replacement yet, but in time & hopefully soon there will be & the pressure be on for more consistency.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well for one he was in the AA squad last year, Bruce is playing in a top 4 side and has scored almost half his goals in one game against WAFL level opposition, he gets the 2nd best defender as well which helps. Despite that, the stats are pretty even.

Would you honestly take Bruce over Tabs? Think you’d be selling Tabs pretty short there
No I wouldn't pick Bruce for my list. But he has had a better career than Tabs so far.

I think we over-rate Tabs. In his peak form he goes at 2 and a bit goals a game with little competition for supply. He doesn't lead at the ball carrier much. He doesn't crash packs to bring crumbers into the game. He runs into the leading space of other players. He doesn't seem to provide much on field leadership to the forward-line. He sure ain't no alpha forward.

But he is an incredibly hard worker who has improved his game year on year and turned himself into a solid B grader

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree, which leads us to the question - do we use 4 picks to hopefully get two serviceable players or trade those picks to get known quantity up front?

The value of the mystery box is large, but the need for the known is present.

First of all who are the 2 kpfs both worth 2 high draft picks that are itching to get to Freo?

I’d be all for trading for one if we were in the window but giving up 4 high picks for 2 players when we have multiple deficiencies in our list at this stage is crazy afaic.

With 4 players we probably get 1 who’s average/injured most of the time one who’s serviceable, 1 who turns into a good kpd and one into a jet fwd. I think history has shown high profile fwds coming to freo won’t be a success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair go. Tabs is playing sore, on the best defender each week, and getting double teamed because he's surrounded by short people and squibs. And he's still kicking his share and working hard.
I mean he's no Lockett but he is so far from our main problem it's not funny

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe just has no routine at all. Every shot on goal is a different preparation & really is quite unbelievable. Whether your successful or not on any given day, the routine has to be the same so you’ve got a clear mind & are not thinking “what should I do this time or I hope I kick this one”.

Anywhere in front has to be a straight kick, forget about the goals & try to hit a seat in the crowd. Hit the seat, you kick the goal. You have to narrow your target from the distance between the goal posts to a specific target.

Deeper in the pockets is just practise at training, take your time, same amount of steps each time & kick around the corner. Routine.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Fyfe just has no routine at all. Every shot on goal is a different preparation & really is quite unbelievable. Whether your successful or not on any given day, the routine has to be the same so you’ve got a clear mind & are not thinking “what should I do this time or I hope I kick this one”.

Anywhere in front has to be a straight kick, forget about the goals & try to hit a seat in the crowd. Hit the seat, you kick the goal. You have to narrow your target from the distance between the goal posts to a specific target.

Deeper in the pockets is just practise at training, take your time, same amount of steps each time & kick around the corner. Routine.

I can’t say I’ve noticed this lack of routine in his set shots. Pretty s**t coaching if true. Any video to demonstrate this? Would be interesting to look at

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he didn't lead his man to where we have a one on one and congest the area the other forwards might contribute goals .
Sometimes he needs to draw his man away from the contest.
He contributes to the dysfunction.
No one is suggesting Tabs not playing but he isn't the best at reading the play

You'll always be wrong about Tabs. It's hilarious watching you tie yourself in knots trying to come up with some reasoning why he's bad.

Tabs is in the top 5 key forwards in the league right now, and was last season too. It's time to quit while you're behind.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Tabs is ok, No doubt about that but would he get a game in WC, Geelong, Richmond, Brisbane
Teams. Tabs has been around the club for nearly ten years and he is still might be. It's a mighty long time to still be a might be.
No he wouldn't,... because they already have their own.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Then play Giro ffs. We are not talking about Dangerfield here. Aish is a OK sort of footballer, not someone we can't afford to not have in the team. If he is injured, then it is making him a complete liability .

Back