Universal Love Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

I think an overlooked facet of Wells is also not overpaying for players we could’ve at the end of last season. I was in the camp of “we desperately need Stringer, even Watts”.. turns out I’d much rather Fog and Sav Rat than both of them! #inwellswetrust

Stringer was tempting but really ... I was happy to be in the camp of go to draft and trust the kids. I can understand how some thought that we were in the window etc... but both Dogs and Tigs won the flag playing some kids.

And this list doesn't have Henry in it...lol

More gold.

GO Catters

To be fair, he said national draft and Henry was picked up in the rookie draft.

Interesting year though, in the trade period we did the following:

- Caddy and effectively Jack Graham for Parfitt and Narkle
- Jansen and Walker for Ratugolea
- Kersten for Timm House
- Stevie J for nothing

Picked up the following in the rookie draft:
- Jack Henry
- Zach Guthrie
- Jamaine Jones
- Sam Simpson

Stringer was tempting but really ... I was happy to be in the camp of go to draft and trust the kids.
There aren't that many stories of players with that kind of attitude problem really being worth a high price, not in today's AFL pressure-cooker environment. I know Sydney managed it with Barry Hall and Peter Everitt, and so did Brisbane with Mal Michael, but for every one of those there's an Aker or a Fev or a Justin Murphy.

That's different to talking about an angry kid like Jack Darling or even Chappy. Stringer is 24, not 17.

To be fair, he said national draft and Henry was picked up in the rookie draft.

Interesting year though, in the trade period we did the following:

- Caddy and effectively Jack Graham for Parfitt and Narkle
- Jansen and Walker for Ratugolea
- Kersten for Timm House
- Stevie J for nothing

Picked up the following in the rookie draft:
- Jack Henry
- Zach Guthrie
- Jamaine Jones
- Sam Simpson

Quick edit it was Abbott for Vardy, House was drafted using our own pick.

We traded 15 (ended up with Bris used on Zac Bailey) Smedts and the Kersten pick for Tuohy and 22 (Fogarty). Great trading there was was Walker-Esava.

Parfitt-Caddy should be a draw at worst and i think better than that in time.

There aren't that many stories of players with that kind of attitude problem really being worth a high price, not in today's AFL pressure-cooker environment. I know Sydney managed it with Barry Hall and Peter Everitt, and so did Brisbane with Mal Michael, but for every one of those there's an Aker or a Fev or a Justin Murphy.

That's different to talking about an angry kid like Jack Darling or even Chappy. Stringer is 24, not 17.

Rhyce Shaw had a poor attitude at Coll and was great at Sydney so there are exceptions but mostly i agree with you.

Quick edit it was Abbott for Vardy, House was drafted using our own pick.

We traded 15 (ended up with Bris used on Zac Bailey) Smedts and the Kersten pick for Tuohy and 22 (Fogarty). Great trading there was was Walker-Esava.

Parfitt-Caddy should be a draw at worst and i think better than that in time.

Sorry but that’s not true. House was taken with pick 68 received from West Coast via Hawthorn. Abbott was taken at the next pick which was our own.

Also, do you still see the Caddy trade as a win for us given they also got Jack Graham and we got Narkle? Probably too soon to call, I suspect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, do you still see the Caddy trade as a win for us given they also got Jack Graham and we got Narkle? Probably too soon to call, I suspect.

We could at least wait until Narkle plays more than 1 VFL game before discussing him.

Graham is young and had a nice 5 game run last season but he hasn't been anything amazing this season.

Sorry but that’s not true. House was taken with pick 68 received from West Coast via Hawthorn. Abbott was taken at the next pick which was our own.

Who seriously gives a fig about Jack Graham? Dude is massively overhyped.

Its still to early for mine but it =shape as one of those rare trade where its WIN WIN. Geelong have had them before... Denham and Barnes was looked up on that way for eg.Parfit still has a lot of upside... the determining factor may well be if he can keep his body healthy.

Narkle at this point in time is a long shot along with nearly all our smalls.. One or two will make it and a couple of other will fall out. Narkle is talented but he needs a bit of luck as well. All I hope for any of these guys is to at least get a gig..to say they have had a game or 5... it was not that long ago when we didn't know what we had with Sav... so Narkle gets a go and comes in and who knows... much the same for Jones Id say.

Wells talent/skill to get value from late picks really will be his imprimatur ..its separates him from the good ordinaries.. how nice would it be to win another with so many late picks rocking and rolling ..yet again.

Last edited:
What a read. Absolute riot this thread looking back.
My sides were splitting some of the derp before the first bump.

Kudos to the OP for admitting he got it wrong.

We havnt won s**t yet. And caddy would stroll into our team right now and be one of our best players
No he wouldn’t be. He never played the way he is now with us.
Right environment, right time. I highly doubt we get this level of performance out of Caddy. Thus not even annoyed let him go.

We havnt won s**t yet. And caddy would stroll into our team right now and be one of our best players

Caddy was such a frustratingly inconsistent player with us. He did very little to justify the high pick we traded for him. I had such high hopes for him, but he was a major letdown. He's turned it around with Richmond and is playing good footy, but I highly doubt he'd playing at that level if he was still with us..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back