• Syd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WCE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WB

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing Carlton has "won" in the last 20 years is countless wooden spoons Grigg is the most successful Carlton player of the last 20 years would easily right now be your best player and if he was still at Carlton by the end of his career Carlton would build a statue of him outside Princes Park

Oh! I guess Grigg was our Saviour then. He would've prevented the humiliation of 2015 and single handedly took us to a flag if we didn't trade him. I suppose he could stop world hunger.

I guess that also makes Dale Thomas currently the best player on our list. Who needs Cripps or Docherty? And who could forget that Jack Graham right now is officially a better player than Patrick Dangerfield.

Quit making a fool of yourself. Smart people should already know that premierships don't define players. They define teams.

The only thing Carlton has "won" in the last 20 years is countless wooden spoons Grigg is the most successful Carlton player of the last 20 years would easily right now be your best player and if he was still at Carlton by the end of his career Carlton would build a statue of him outside Princes Park
More than decent player who's carved out a good career.

In saying that, he wouldn't be in our top 5 players. Probably top 10 though.

Oh! I guess Grigg was our Saviour then. He would've prevented the humiliation of 2015 and single handedly took us to a flag if we didn't trade him. I suppose he could stop world hunger.

I guess that also makes Dale Thomas currently the best player on our list. Who needs Cripps or Docherty? And who could forget that Jack Graham right now is officially a better player than Patrick Dangerfield.

Quit making a fool of yourself. Smart people should already know that premierships don't define players. They define teams.
Yep all of this is 100% correct

Hawks list
Suckling
Clinton young
Franklin
Hodge
Mitchell
Lewis
Brad hill (b&f)
Campbell brown
Gilham
Jed Anderson
Josh Kennedy says hello.

The GH5 skews our average. Also from that we drafted some very good players- Taylor,McStay and Gardiner.

Most of the rest were gently nudged out the door or not a big loss. Hanley netted us pick 12. Karnesiz and Aish were busts

Out of that list the most significant loss was Docherty.

I should’ve known there would be some sort of arbitrary Bigfooty rule in place.
My bad I thought the OP had mentioned it; in retrospect it was only how other posters have responded (eg not counting Burgoyne)

I find these topics don't give a true reflection of who was hard done by; if you're going to look at who a club lost, you have to look at what they gained too.

For example, Deledio would look like a huge loss for Richmond on his own. But considering it helped bring in players (Caddy/Graham), I don't consider it a hard loss.
Was it hard to see him go? Deledio to you guys was essentially how Jimmy was viewed by our fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My bad I thought the OP had mentioned it; in retrospect it was only how other posters have responded (eg not counting Burgoyne)
I should’ve known there would be some sort of arbitrary Bigfooty rule in place.

I put the 2010 thing in to try keep it relevant. But if there are current players who fit the criteria I think they should be added also

I wonder if the afl is concerned at the amount of "go home" players in recent years.

Just this year we will see wilson,schache,cameron,lever, ah chee, trengrove, all move back to their home state.

Will they look back at zone drafting? I know the talent level may not be there all the time in the northern states there is the academies, and if we go back to zoning for the draft, it takes the entire academy argument away

I wonder if the afl is concerned at the amount of "go home" players in recent years.

Just this year we will see wilson,schache,cameron,lever, ah chee, trengrove, all move back to their home state.

Will they look back at zone drafting? I know the talent level may not be there all the time in the northern states there is the academies, and if we go back to zoning for the draft, it takes the entire academy argument away

Is that really a worrying number? I'd say 2 of them (Trengrove, Ah Chee) have asked for trades for football reasons ahead of any go-home reasons. Home state is a coincidence - considering the Dogs need a tall defender, and the Eagles are losing their 2 best pure inside mids. I'd be thinking we need to see in excess of 20-30 every year to be 'worried' before making drastic reversals to the old ways.

More than decent player who's carved out a good career.

In saying that, he wouldn't be in our top 5 players. Probably top 10 though.

Cripps
Docherty
Kreuzer
Murphy
Gibbs
Simpson
E.Curnow
C.Curnow
Marchbank
Plowman
L.Jones
Casboult
Pickett
Cunningham
Weitering
Williamson
Wright
H.McKay

Who would you trade for Grigg ??

Maybe Nick Graham at a stretch , much of a muchness !!

I won't include GWS and GC as I will be here all day writing out their lists.
harley bennell
charlie dixon
dion prestia
jaeger o'meara
josh caddy
zac smith

i believe those are the only players who have requested a trade away from the suns. players like mav weller were delisted and picked up in PSD/delisted free agency.

gws however have traded out probably nearly triple the amount that we have.

Last edited:
Brisbane have been reamed but they haven't really lost players the caliber of Dangerfield.

It's ridiculous how many players running around that started their careers at Brisbane, played one or two seasons, developed then left.

I was watching the Brisbane/Geelong game from 2013 just before and was noticing stacks of good players that are now playing at different clubs.
difference with Brisbane and Adelaide is that we get pretty much nothing in return for the players we lose.

Back