deano28

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne victory , aussie cricket
This will most probably be very unpopular opinion but I'm not disappointed in being 0-5 . Sure losing games when your 5 goals up is frustrating , but there's a bigger picture here and that's having a season that is going to net us a top 3 or 4 pick is something we desperately need . Outside speed & or class is something most of us have been screaming out for . Well this year is our chance to do that there's some great prospects in this draft that we will be able bring in to the club to complement our inside mids that will give us much need run and carry / spread . Nobody likes losing but sometimes you just need to take the hit so that you can improve .

The fact that we leading games for large periods is a great sign of the talent and hunger of our younger players , because it's not our senior players who are leading the way .

So as horrible as it stings us at the moment , we just need to sit back take a breath , take stock and see this for what it is . A season we needed to have .

Games we had been leading by 5 goals or more are the games we've lead for at least 90% of the game.
Geelong only lead for 2mins
Dogs lead for like what 10mins in total
And freo for like 18mins

That's what hurts me the most. Really didn't mind the losses to wce or even the giants. Giants would smash anyone by 6goals from 4th-18th

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This will most probably be very unpopular opinion but I'm not disappointed in being 0-5 . Sure losing games when your 5 goals up is frustrating , but there's a bigger picture here and that's having a season that is going to net us a top 3 or 4 pick is something we desperately need . Outside speed & or class is something most of us have been screaming out for . Well this year is our chance to do that there's some great prospects in this draft that we will be able bring in to the club to complement our inside mids that will give us much need run and carry / spread . Nobody likes losing but sometimes you just need to take the hit so that you can improve .

The fact that we leading games for large periods is a great sign of the talent and hunger of our younger players , because it's not our senior players who are leading the way .

So as horrible as it stings us at the moment , we just need to sit back take a breath , take stock and see this for what it is . A season we needed to have .

oh watch out, you'll be accused of accepting mediocrity, or not liking winning or being the best (who cares!), or of not being a real supporter (because only winning matters), or of other more heinous crimes.

They'll accuse you of betrayal, and want to sling you up for not hating the coach, or for not caring enough (or like them). Or you'll be said to be delusional, like the club or the coach.

'Get some balls', they'll scream, or gtfo ...

I fear that our top pick will end up at GWS anyway.

So who gives a **** if we finish 12th or 18th?
I'd be surprised if JK knocked back 9m myself but when it comes a trade , pick 1 may be enough but pick 6 definitely won't.

We need a few of these high picks not just one
And that's the problem with the draft - takes multiple drafts over number of years to rebuild a team ... get a few early picks wrong and you can be stuffed for years

There's more to building a premiership list then hitting the draft and getting a couple of high picks.

Development is king. Picking up bargain players and turning them into highly wanted guns is the nucleus of premiership sides.

Guess where we fail? Development.

How much would Ately, Thomas, Thompson, MacMillan, Mullet, Dumont, Hansen, Gibson and Swallow get in the market? Whats the demand for their skills?

In fact, how far have they developed? Not very much if you ask me.

We have a problem in the footy department. The ability for coaches to lay out a program to develop players that come through North is shocking.

There's more to building a premiership list then hitting the draft and getting a couple of high picks.

Development is king. Picking up bargain players and turning them into highly wanted guns is the nucleus of premiership sides.

How much would Ately, Thomas, Thompson, MacMillan, Mullet, Dumont, Hansen, Gibson and Swallow get in the market? Whats the demand for their skills?

We have a problem in the footy department. The ability for coaches to lay out a program to develop players that come through North is shocking.
Mid table draft picks and poor development have led to the flood of mediocre young players we have accumulated on the list over the years.

In regards to couple you mention about them not developing is completely wrong. Thomas was at one stage one of the best small forwards in the comp, Thompson all Australian, Macmillan is one of our best run and deliver players still young, dumont well don't know what you've seen but from 3 years ago to now has developed a lot and finally swallow was our best midefulder before the Achilles injury now has past he's prime. Hansen and mullet have been injured for a large part of their career and Gibson i believe was late to AFL havnt got an arguement eight that one.

Also swallow Thompson Gibson mullet thomas are all late picks and have been pretty handy if you ask me.

Are y
Games we had been leading by 5 goals or more are the games we've lead for at least 90% of the game.
Geelong only lead for 2mins
Dogs lead for like what 10mins in total
And freo for like 18mins

That's what hurts me the most. Really didn't mind the losses to wce or even the giants. Giants would smash anyone by 6goals from 4th-18th

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are you accepting mediocrity:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn did it with high draft picks but I get your point

Sums up were I'm at very nicely :thumbsu:

Having a season that sees us finish a few spots lower down the ladder than we could, and thus having draft picks a couple of spots higher than they could've been, means absolutely nothing - you can look at the fortunes of sides who elected to "bottom out" with similar motivations for evidence of that. Yes, we have noticeable deficiencies when it comes to outside run and classy disposal, and have done for some time, but the kind of club culture that treats new draftees like saviours, and views the present list in so bad a light that we don't mind the fact our various failings aren't being resolved, is toxic - again, look at other sides that have exemplified those kind of perspectives, see how far it's gotten them.

Realistically, we have the nucleus of a good side already at the club - again, yes, with specific areas of deficiency that we need to address - and so the ideal for this year is to see the kind of improvement and development in that nucleus that shows it can be what we need it to be in the near future. Losing can be tolerated more easily in "development years" if the right signs are there for the future, which is kind of true of our start to this year but also kind of not, but the draft-focused mindset gets us nowhere and sets us back further; fortunately, I doubt anyone at the club (whatever their flaws in other senses) is approaching this season with that kind of view.

IMO it is never "ok" to lose. We are not Melbourne.

We are actually good enough to be in the 8, so each of those close losses mattered.

If we were utter shite then it would be a bit more tolerable to be 0 and 5. But we are not utter shite. Far from it.

And that's what is making this season infuriating.

IMO it is never "ok" to lose. We are not Melbourne.

We are actually good enough to be in the 8, so each of those close losses mattered.

If we were utter shite then it would be a bit more tolerable to be 0 and 5. But we are not utter shite. Far from it.

And that's what is making this season infuriating.
i don't want to just finish in the 8 ... I want to win f*****g premierships & this squad needs more class .

Dumont was matching it with Fyfe on the weekend. Epic development fail right there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back