Autopsy Loss to Adelaide by 33 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
As usual please use this thread to discuss the game or, if emotional, the melt thread. Personal attacks won't be tolerated and opposition trolls will be carded without mercy.

So yeah, possible that our goal kicking needs some tinkering :$

Still, goal kicking aside a much improved effort against very good opposition and, despite still being winless, there's possibly a little more hope than anyone foresaw us having after last week. Every game we get into Taberner/Pearce/Weller/Blakely/Tucker/Grey (and inevitably Langdon/Hughes/Smith/Collins/Yarran/Mora etc) is gold for us at this stage.

Alright, have at it.

PS. Taberner IS AFL QUALITY and I (and a few others) told yas so :cool:

Much better game from us. Couldn't believe they were actually our skills today... didn't feel real.

Aside from that, goal kicking was absolutely horrendous. Lost us the game.

Walters, Hill and Alex Pearce were stars for us. So so so so glad we have a gun in AP. He's definitely a defender.

Positives:
-Good competitive effort from all involved
-Lachie Weller's looking absolutely class
-Taberner showing something, mainly in the 1st half
-Alex Pearce keeping Tex Walker scoreless. Huge effort.

Negatives:
-Goal scoring, or lack thereof
-Turnovers again

Don't really have too much bad to say. Was expecting a 100 point belting so I'm as contempt as I can be after a 6 goal loss.

Some encouraging signs.
Son-Son super last half. Tabs super first half. AP strong all day. Hilly getting some mojo back.
Thought all the young blokes showed glimpses.
No changes for next week. Let the team settle.
(Edit: Maybe Ballas out for langdon)
Goal kicking practice this week :)

Well, I've always thought Tabs is first 22 and they needed to stop dumping him every second game... He faded a bit in the second half but an excellent first half.
Glad to see Walters put in 4 quarters. He is more needed in our forward line than the middle. He's started the year slowly but after diabolical kicking in the first half I am glad they straightened things up by the end (too little too late though).
Mundy great in first half but needed the run. Grey a fantastic tackler and always gives his all. A sensational game from Alex. They were running in waves from half back in the first half; let's hope the game changes are beginning to gel.
Good games from both Weller and Hill and I actually thought Clarke presented well and went in hard in the second half. But dear God. Goal kicking... Lucky it looks like Yarran might kick 5+

Agree it is good to see the kids play as they are the future.
How many can we play at once as they all sit in the bottom half of the ranking points?

So yeah, possible that our goal kicking needs some tinkering :$

Still, goal kicking aside a much improved effort against very good opposition and, despite still being winless, there's possibly a little more hope than anyone foresaw us having after last week. Every game we get into Taberner/Pearce/Weller/Blakely/Tucker/Grey (and inevitably Langdon/Hughes/Smith/Collins/Yarran/Mora etc) is gold for us at this stage.

Alright, have at it.

PS. Taberner IS AFL QUALITY and I (and a few others) told yas so :cool:
+1 :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much improved performance. Let's hope we can bring the improvement next week too. Our recruiters are having questions asked of them but they sure got AP right!!

Kicking in the first half cost the momentum. 2.14 at one stage isn't going to put a whole lot of pressure on teams like Adelaide. Pavlich had an off day with 1.4 but the forward line worked at times today. Taberner is confident and took a few strong marks around the ground, had Talia on him all day. Grey should take Ballas spot from now on, Hayden has to be made an example of. Play Barlow in his position and gee he's a million bucks.

OK, this is not a "noble loss" post (a la Dockers of old) and it was a 33 point loss, BUT I feel today was the beginning of a turn-around. No we won't be playing in this year's GF, but the clouds are starting to lift.
yeah still pain to come for sure but theres good talent. just missing a few key pieces still.

Woeful kicking but we showed a fair bit of fight and finished well. Taberner impressed me with his efforts and Alex Pearce is going to be one hell of a footballer.

Lachie Neale gets so much of it but like the commentators said you can only get the ball so much, it's what you do with it that counts. He was unsure of himself a few times today, a few silly turnovers. But him and Barlow pretty much kept Freo ahead in clearances and took over Sloane/Thompson at times.

Second quarter killed us. Put a bit of scoreboard pressure on and we might have been able to push on for the win.

Pearce was dominant and is going to be a 200 game player for us. Tabs was terrific today, can't fault that performance. Ball movement was impressive in glimpses, it will click eventually. Was expecting a massive belting so thought we were pretty competitive but our goal kicking is sub-WAFL standard and it's been an underlying issue for us with this group and is unlikely to change with a few pot shots at training. Not sure what the fix is there.

I've been critical of Taberner but was pretty good in the first half today. Alex Pearce is going to be a jet. Hilly back to a bit of form and Walters showed his class.

Agree Not too many negatives from todays game Weller and Grey look promising Clarke looked ok Keep playing the kids and see if they have what it takes. Good to see Mayne and barlow show a bit today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back