Autopsy Loss to Hawks by a lot (Round 19 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

We are the second last team in metres gained. Says a lot.
I watch a lot of football, all teams bar Carlton run forward a lot more than we do thru the corridor with a series of short passes or handballs....
We are ugly. Just plain down right ugly to watch.
Brief bits were we do attack, we look good....then back to ugly.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding but my point is that these people dont post anything positive when it happens because they seem to enjoy the club failing purely because it proves themselves right.

I have edited my orig post because I dont think it was clear

I don't think that you are correct in your comments. There are very few who would fit your comments. Most of the people who are questioning the coach are normally very active on here, win, lose or draw. Considering how we have performed for the last few seasons and how poor we look today, questioning the coach is perfectly reasonable. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean those questioning him are wrong to do so.

I will continue to question his ability because I don't think he has what it takes and I will remain active on here whether he stays or goes.

Plus, I'm of the view after the earlier crap this year that he's dead man walking anyway

Without question that is instruction Wally. Ross has said so himself, he has so many new players he's keeping I simple - take as much ground as they can then bang it up the line.

I'm not in the pitchfork brigade, but I think Lyon needs to allow the guys to express themselves on the field.

Teams that take the outside and guard it well make us look like dummies, and we really aren't that bad.

Almost as disappointed in this game as I was in the Brisbane game and it wad EXACTLY the same plan that screwed us.

At some point (long before the last quarter) we needed to go man on man and take that outside space off them. They are not that good when they are pressured - just ask Brisbane.
Well I’m a bit disappointed if that were true. I’d prefer to see us lose by 100 points taking the game on (after being 7 goals down) than continuing doing the same thing over and over until just waiting til the finals siren to put us out of our misery.

Just not an AFLlevel athlete and never will be. Good luck to him, but WTF are our recruiters thinking

He was a late draft pick to fill a hole on the chance Sandi and Darcy went down. Which they did.

I agree with you that he will almost certainly never have the athleticism required, but i've got no problem with the list spot. The alternative was to throw Meek in there and he would have got physically slaughtered.

So embarrassing that we’ve been Hawthorn’s bitches for so long. I’m officially over Ross. Have defended him to all that will listen for a while now, but it’s time. Cash him out, * him off, get some forwards and hope you can keep your members Freo.

Watched both teams warm up. Hawks practiced kicking over 30 metres to running targets aiming for outstretched hands. Guy kicking had head over ball. Accuracy was remarkable to watch. Lots of bum-patting and chat on the way into the rooms.

Freo ambled out, had 10-15minutes of the laziest stuff you’d whistle up if you were you were junior coach at training. Stationery targets rarely hit, balls (not deliberately) kicked short, wide with no attempt to get to the fall. Just jog after it and try an across-the-body, up-and-under for fun, like the lazy kid at training. One hand attempts to mark balls which could have been taken in two hands. Sheridan tried a torp just cause he felt like it and didn’t get it to work. No run, no head over the ball, more like a kick-to-kick in the Park.

Tried not to read too much into it and didn’t expect to win but did think that you have to control the things you can and get the warm-up right.

He was a late draft pick to fill a hole on the chance Sandi and Darcy went down. Which they did.

I agree with you that he will almost certainly never have the athleticism required, but i've got no problem with the list spot. The alternative was to throw Meek in there and he would have got physically slaughtered.
What about Strnadica? Did they need to draft him and Jones?

Watched both teams warm up. Hawks practiced kicking over 30 metres to running targets aiming for outstretched hands. Guy kicking had head over ball. Accuracy was remarkable to watch. Lots of bum-patting and chat on the way into the rooms.

Freo ambled out, had 10-15minutes of the laziest stuff you’d whistle up if you were you were junior coach at training. Stationery targets rarely hit, balls (not deliberately) kicked short, wide with no attempt to get to the fall. Just jog after it and try an across-the-body, up-and-under for fun, like the lazy kid at training. One hand attempts to mark balls which could have been taken in two hands. Sheridan tried a torp just cause he felt like it and didn’t get it to work. No run, no head over the ball, more like a kick-to-kick in the Park.

Tried not to read too much into it and didn’t expect to win but did think that you have to control the things you can and get the warm-up right.
That’s bloody disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke that couldn't hold a spot in the Peel league team last year?

He's come good this season, but i'm guessing there wasn't a massive amount of confidence he could step up this season if needed.

It's called development. Who would've thought a young ruck couldn't quite make the transition from colts to league in the WAFL premiers :rolleyes:

I don't think that you are correct in your comments. There are very few who would fit your comments. Most of the people who are questioning the coach are normally very active on here, win, lose or draw. Considering how we have performed for the last few seasons and how poor we look today, questioning the coach is perfectly reasonable. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean those questioning him are wrong to do so.

I will continue to question his ability because I don't think he has what it takes and I will remain active on here whether he stays or goes.

Plus, I'm of the view after the earlier crap this year that he's dead man walking anyway
Like I said, I have no problem with people who question Ross. I think differently but people are perfectly entitled to both their opinions and to voice them. I have a problem with people who never say anything positive about anyone or anything to do with the club and only appear when its bad. My original post specifically mentioned the recruiting and players instead of just Ross for this reason. I did provide a lengthy edit on the orginal post post for this reason.

My old man said exactly the same....anyway, for me the positives were:
Brayshaw back and finding the pill
Hamling, Neale, Mundy and Langdon working hard
No rain.

Negatives:
Just felt like we were going through the motions
Midfield and forward line need some bodies with presence around the contest and marking prowess.
The ease of hawthorn getting it out of their defense and centre clearances was infuriating
Forward line is actually embarrassing
I would be amazed if Sean Darcy and Alex Pearce are fit, let alone cox, who Im led to believe is carrying an injury.

Like I said, I have no problem with people who question Ross. I think differently but people are perfectly entitled to both their opinions and to voice them. I have a problem with people who never say anything positive about anyone or anything to do with the club and only appear when its bad. My original post specifically mentioned the recruiting and players instead of just Ross for this reason. I did provide a lengthy edit on the orginal post post for this reason.

Case and point, I actually really like and ydraw despite having differing views on lots of things because he is very positive when it comes to players

I'd agree with some of that. I think the playing group is better than most give credit but the way we go about things doesn't get the best from them. We need a new approach as this one simply doesn't work

We are the second last team in metres gained. Says a lot.
I watch a lot of football, all teams bar Carlton run forward a lot more than we do thru the corridor with a series of short passes or handballs....
We are ugly. Just plain down right ugly to watch.
Brief bits were we do attack, we look good....then back to ugly.

Spread on the attacking side early was very good. Lots of run, overlap, etc. Then bang we turn it over invariably at half forward, Hawks pinpoint their way through with half our team still heading the other way (hyperbole but close). They have a real economy about them, and we exhaust ourselves. Especially given the way we try to defend them by peeling off and attacking the man with the ball at every opportunity - just doesn't work when they get it right.

The issues in moving the ball are just so consistently evident. Especially through the middle 1/3 of the field coming out of defence and that last kick going into the 50. No idea what the intended structure in that area of the ground is.

Alex Pearce is reminding me of Sandy in the overhead marking. The amount of times he just can't hold onto his marks overhead,it's a real downside in his play. I hope he can improve in that area,he is no Hamling or Ryan in that department.
He's wearing a plastic guard on his broken thumb so catching the ball is not easy.

I can’t answer this so I’ll ask the board; do we think it’s coached to take the safer option up the boundary and only try and take the corridor when there’s a free player? When we were 7 goals down we played the same as when we were only 2 goals down and I thought we weren’t playing to give ourselves a chance to win.
As an observer at the ground it looked like Hawthorn were clogging up the corridor to force us to pick one side, and then collapsing to block the cross. If we had Fyfe and Sandilands in the side it doesn’t work because we can just kick down the line and they take the contested mark, but our skills weren’t great today and we got bullied.

I'd agree with some of that. I think the playing group is better than most give credit but the way we go about things doesn't get the best from them. We need a new approach as this one simply doesn't work
I can understand that. I made a really long post in the RTB thread so I'll try to keep it short here. I think the transition between contending lists is one of RTB's biggest flaws (See StKilda and Us in 2016), but I thnk that its silly to judge now based on then. We had no choice but to start from scratch with a complete list overhaul (again, due to it being handled poorly) which is why our side now is a lot younger than the sides who did it well in Hawks, North (sort of, I mean they probs wont make finals and still put out an old list every week) and Eagles. I judge our side against the Carltons, GC, WB and Lions of the comp not because they are all s**t but because they all put out really young sides every week.

I just dont think we can be competitive week in, week out with the age profile of our list and look for improvements on a rolling basis (IMO we have improved on last year, happy to disagree). For what its worth I would drive Ross to the airport myself for Clarkson, maybe Longmire but dont think the risk of an untrialled senior coach is worth it this year when we are better than the lists with a similar age profile.

He's wearing a plastic guard on his broken thumb so catching the ball is not easy.
Was going to say the same thing. There was a crucial one in the second where at about D50, a scrambled kick forward from the hawks and Pearce got hands to it but it bubbled around and out. Ended up getting to Breust who kicked that classy goal foxing Hamling with a double shimmy and dribbler kick.

Pearce would normally eat those marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back