Autopsy Loss to * - Rd 10, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have any special insight or access to magic numbers, just a willingness to look stuff up if I want to try and support an assertion with facts.

Who made any claim you did?

Coaches votes

Essendon v North Melbourne

9 Darcy Parish (ESS)
8 Andrew McGrath (ESS)
7 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Peter Wright (ESS)
2 Dyson Heppell (ESS)
1 Will Snelling (ESS)

What a rubbish loss that was.

Always tough talking about ins and outs when you don't make it to the game, but I reckon two players in particular need to be given a spell.

Larkey - I don't care if delivery is poor or you're being double teamed, a full forward averaging one goal and 0.5 contested marks a game needs a break. Or play him second ruck with Campbell forward; just move him out of the goal square.

Atley - his stats are fine but he just doesn't do anything. Doesn't create, doesn't break lines, if you could win the Brownlow off 15m passes and ten inch handballs he'd be a monty.

A lot of players down, but most of them young and needing game time. For positives outside the usual I've never been this happy to see Garner playing, Campbell is quite frankly shocking me the way he's impacting the contest and Zuhaar (ok less original) is giving me some serious Archer vibes which will be great once he gets a proper haircut. And as for Jy, what a guy, the man is fly you can't deny.

Last edited:
View attachment 1135579
We lost to campaigners meditating in the middle of the oval for 20 minutes.. are you fu**in kidding me right now? Meditating? Medi fu**in tating? Give me a fu**in spell NMFC! If I ever saw a campaigner doin a fu**in pose before the game, my own fucnin team mate would cop a fuxkib wack behind the ear.. we lost to campaigners meditating? GTFOH

Mate, people would have said the same about players doing yoga years ago. But we don’t complain when our mids have the flexibility to pick up the ball at high speed, twist out of tackles and get their arms free.

I meditate. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. The increase in my presence of mind has been life changing.

When Cunnington leaves you shaking your head cause he’s two steps ahead of everyone the way he’s doing that is presence of mind. Being in the game.

Am I saying Cunnington meditates? No. But look about him. He strikes me as not just a player but a man with great presence of mind and self knowledge. He doesn’t seek the spotlight, not on social media, and what is fishing if not a day long meditation retreat sprinkled with moments of sport?

There is nothing weak or wanky about being present.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're right, it's weird to see Essendon supporters the week you play Essendon. Next time we'll show up when you play Port just to bring some normaility to things.
We have this thread every week for our games. Pretty much no out of board visitors any other week. So yes, it has been weird.

Worst loss of the season so far. The main concern was the lack of intensity from the very start and the lack of a friggin game plan. I understand that you need the cattle to make game plans work, but after ten rounds I just can't see any evidence of a good game plan.

Worst loss of the season so far. The main concern was the lack of intensity from the very start and the lack of a friggin game plan. I understand that you need the cattle to make game plans work, but after ten rounds I just can't see any evidence of a good game plan.
Stick fat. It will come.

Coaches votes

Essendon v North Melbourne

9 Darcy Parish (ESS)
8 Andrew McGrath (ESS)
7 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Peter Wright (ESS)
2 Dyson Heppell (ESS)
1 Will Snelling (ESS)
Both coaches showing exactly where the game was won and lost.

One way traffic from the get go and none of our mids showed any effort to try and stem the tide.

It is embarrassing how poor our midfield is at the defensive side of the game - and it has been this way for many years.

Until we improve in this area we have no chance of getting out of the bottom 4 - let alone have any chance of getting back to top 4.

We'd seen improvement for about 5 weeks straight, i was half expecting a let down game.

There is nothing weak or wanky about being present.

No, but meditation has been somewhat redundant since the great Paul Janssen first synthesized fentanyl 50 years ago. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, definitely. Parish, McGrath and Merrett worked their assets off all day long. To be fair, unlike alot of our guys, their gut running was rewarded often which does help make you go that extra distance.

Parish looks fantastic since they moved him into position. Good on him for taking the opportunity and running with it. Just goes to show what happens when guys can play in their position....

I have two issues to raise, one more important than the other.

The less important issue involves Josh Walker who had two goals kicked on him. One was when he lost concentration and allowed his player an easy lead up to the ball carrier but the other was when Josh had his legs taken out from under him, in a way that clearly was dangerous. I was squawking away until the North member sitting next to me pointed out it was a North player who was the culprit. Now we North people are a bit sensitive about this since the Zeibel incident of a few weeks ago but I cannot see in the rules where it gives guidance for such incidents. The North player should have had a free paid against him but who to?

The important issue is the forward line and our problems were bought into stark relief when we were going into attack up the other end (I was sitting above the cheer squad) and Larkey went to our left, and had space on his opponent, but the kick went to our right which meant both Larkey and his opponent reversed direction. Now the Essedon defender had space on Larkey. The kick hit the Essendon defender perfectly on the chest. It probably could not be seen on the TV but it was a terrible kick.

However a few minutes later we were about to go forward and Campbell, Zurhaar and Larkey were the possible targets. I realised that I wanted it to go to Zurhaar or Campbell. I used to be bullish about Larkey but forwards have to be able to take a grab, impose themselves on the game and win the ball when it is in dispute. Larkey cannot do this.

Now I am pleased that Campbell is playing so well and Zurhaar can do the magnificent and then be maddeningly mediocre in the same minute but Larkey is out of time with me.

Lets play Zerri as a marking target and play Larkey somewhere else, possibly in the seconds.

I think we should give credit where it’s due here. * turned in a performance reminiscent of our display against Port Adelaide in R22, 2019, when we beat them by 86 points. Remember, that was a game where Port were well in the mix for a top 8 spot. At least we gave a half-assed yelp on Sunday. Zurhaar’s miss early in the last would have brought us back to within 34 points - had he not missed. As it was, we had only 4 scoring shots less than them at that stage. I’ve spoken to an * supporter who says she was happily surprised at their straight shooting. Glass half full, I know. However, we are at the bottom, after all.

Just on glass half full -

- Relieved to see Larkey is still only 22 when checking his stats last night, I had forgotten how young he was. I'm curious to check but Petrie took a while and our patience was rewarded, Nick has a much tougher assignment and deserves the same opportunity.

- as deplorable as this game was we won the clearance count and had more inside 50s. If we had just one single dangerous forward - just one - this game could have been completely different.

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Just on glass half full -

- Relieved to see Larkey is still only 22 when checking his stats last night, I had forgotten how young he was. I'm curious to check but Petrie took a while and our patience was rewarded, Nick has a much tougher assignment and deserves same opportunity.

- as deplorable as this game was, particularly defensively, we won the cleanances and had more inside 50s. If we had just one single dangerous forward - just one - this game could have been could have completely different.

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In a nutshell, I think we were “annihilated on the spread”. I don’t think Carey could have saved us, if he were up forward. Although, he might’ve - given he was such a gun.

I don't have any special insight or access to magic numbers, just a willingness to look stuff up if I want to try and support an assertion with facts.

IIRC the full GPS data was withheld from publicly available stats at the insistence of the AFLPA.
Pretty sure it's explicitly because they didn't want the blokes near the bottom of those stats copping a hiding from fans.

One of the biggest concerns for me was lack of urgency. You look at * they were able to spread because they moved the ball quick but also their players made space also, whereas look at us barely ever did players try to move around to try make space for the pass. I saw so many times players just putting their hand up for the pass.

I think moving larkey into a position where he can get more ball is a good idea, maybe chf, with instructions to play outside the 50 meter ark and try to provide a link up to the other forwards? Campbell and Walker both make better FF’s at the mo because they both go harder at the ball are bigger bodied and can take a mark and kick goals. Rotate Todd with Campbell so we always have two tall hard body options up forward. Do not put Larkey in ruck he will get mauled and injured 🤕

Darcy parish 9? I must have been watching another game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back