AFL Autopsy Loss to Richmond - Rd 11 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

How funny was the Hurley free kick ? Two Bulls in the top paddock are drawn together like magnets, who initiated contact ? Both of them. Who grappled first ? You can't tell it was a dead heat. Who won the test of strength? M. Hurley. Who got the free kick ? Mr don't argue.
It was play on.

How funny was the Hurley free kick ? Two Bulls in the top paddock are drawn together like magnets, who initiated contact ? Both of them. Who grappled first ? You can't tell it was a dead heat. Who won the test of strength? M. Hurley. Who got the free kick ? Mr don't argue.
It was play on.
Definitely play on. Have the umpiring department come out and explained whether they believe the decision was correct or not?

Definitely play on. Have the umpiring department come out and explained whether they believe the decision was correct or not?
Not sure. It just re-enforces my opinion that the bigger the name the more the umpire will sub consciously get sucked in. " ohh its dusty , no way would he infringe"

It's the way Richmond plays. Could a deliberate tactic. Pretty smart I say.

I noticed Richmond giving a few deliberate free kicks to stop our run yesterday.
We were starting to use our run with open players when a Richmond player gives away an obvious free. All of a sudden, we have no options anymore, so we're forced to kick it down the line with a wall of Richmond players perfectly set up.

Good logic. If true, let it continue!

I actually took positives after the Richmond loss when I compare it to the pre-season loss - In that game, Richmond's structure killed us and we flat out getting the ball into the forward hlf, let alone the forward fifty - Richmond dominated the territory and the inside 50's - Whereas this time EFC matched Richmond for inside 50's and territory - Where EFC failed was there abysmal kicking into the forward half and the forwards not holding their positions - Lots of positives to take out of this loss.

I'm not singling out Stringer because he deserves it more than anyone else or anything - imo his game was his most promising as a Don. I'll also note that he had a high workload in the second quarter. However this perfectly sums up how our midfielders can switch off defensively.

Here we have Stringer on Caddy at the centre bounce. Stringer close checks him here.

Screenshot_2018-06-05-13-06-00-585_com.miui.videoplayer.png

Then Stringer follows up with him too as the ball leaves the initial congestion.

IMG_20180605_130754.jpg

Then Stringer starts to check out and lets Caddy drift to the other side of the contest.

IMG_20180605_130810.jpg

And Caddy ends up kicking a goal in the next second, with his opponent not even in frame.

Screenshot_2018-06-05-13-06-42-944_com.miui.videoplayer.png
But as I said, Stringer's not the only one guilty of this kind of stuff, it's a midfield wide thing.

I'm not singling out Stringer because he deserves it more than anyone else or anything - imo his game was his most promising as a Don. I'll also note that he had a high workload in the second quarter. However this perfectly sums up how our midfielders can switch off defensively.

Here we have Stringer on Caddy at the centre bounce. Stringer close checks him here.

View attachment 507451

Then Stringer follows up with him too as the ball leaves the initial congestion.

View attachment 507453

Then Stringer starts to check out and lets Caddy drift to the other side of the contest.

View attachment 507454

And Caddy ends up kicking a goal in the next second, with his opponent not even in frame.

View attachment 507455
But as I said, Stringer's not the only one guilty of this kind of stuff, it's a midfield wide thing.
Great observation mate. This board would benefit from more analytical observations like this rather than all the opinionated venting.

Jakey is still learning his craft and every player will have moments like this where a split-second judgment call on getting to a dangerous spot works against them. Maybe Stringer thought our defensive player (Saad?) would get to the contest first and he would then be free for the receive. At any rate if a team surges forward you’re best to shut down space for the outside runners on the periphery of a contested ball. The odds are against you simply because your defenders are often on the back foot trying to withstand the surge.

View attachment 507451

View attachment 507453

View attachment 507454

View attachment 507455
The only thing I'll say is between the 6 and 9 sec mark images, the ball is in dispute and it could be quite reasonable to suggest Jake thought the Essendon player (is it Conor?) may either halve the contest or win the ball. To be damaging going forward the teams that understand when to transition between defense and attack and do so quickly are the best ones. I think it's quite feasible in this scenario Jake has concluded we are a good chance of winning the contest with McKenna and Heppell there so time to get space on Caddy and provide an attacking option.

While we do have players who switch off defensively I don't necessarily think this is an example of that, more one of misreading the play and when to transition. A point for learning but not necessarily laziness or focus based.

The only thing I'll say is between the 6 and 9 sec mark images, the ball is in dispute and it could be quite reasonable to suggest Jake thought the Essendon player (is it Conor?) may either halve the contest or win the ball. To be damaging going forward the teams that understand when to transition between defense and attack and do so quickly are the best ones. I think it's quite feasible in this scenario Jake has concluded we are a good chance of winning the contest with McKenna and Heppell there so time to get space on Caddy and provide an attacking option.

While we do have players who switch off defensively I don't necessarily think this is an example of that, more one of misreading the play and when to transition. A point for learning but not necessarily laziness or focus based.
That's a fair perspective to have on it. Part of why I think he's switched off is he didn't start to really make an option out the other side, he kind of just slowed up, but I recognise this is definitely a possibility.

That's a fair perspective to have on it. Part of why I think he's switched off is he didn't start to really make an option out the other side, he kind of just slowed up, but I recognise this is definitely a possibility.
They might train to slow, stay free on the outside of the contest for a handball. I'd need to look at the video to understand whether his positioning in such a scenario was very good though.

Don't get me wrong though, I love those break downs you do and the time and effort to do it and you could be correct in that he did just switch off defensively. Would love to see one of those club videos that would tell us what the club thinks he should have done as that would also tell us what they're trained to do.

Doubt this Stringer example is a good one to get a point across - The only reason Caddy got the ball was because of quick thinking by Edwards - Reckon around 5 players in a 100 could achieve that play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was play on.

With respect .. I am not sure I would describe the way Hurley plays as anything like s bull !

View attachment 507451

View attachment 507453

View attachment 507454

View attachment 507455

Something that struck me was why did Heppel (or how) go to ground?...useless once he is on the floor and if he kept his feet he was still a chance to impact that play (maybe).

Finally got around to watching the first half, second to go, after only having seen the scoreline on the day.

Thought we were much better than the scoreline suggested, a few poor shots on goal was the main issue. Nail 2 - 3 of those and suddenly we're not panicking so much trying to look for the miracle F50 entries, and it puts the pressure back on to Richmond.

Stringer's miss then Martin's dodgy free kick and suddenly we're 3 goals down with the momentum against instead of 1 goal and building the pressure on Richmond.

A few poor turnovers by foot as well (a couple from Goddard were the obvious culprit, but he was far from the only one) that would have lead to a genuine chance for a scoring F50 entry in that second quarter too.

I'm not sure what the second half brings, but the first was certainly a combination of luck not falling our way and Richmond being a bit cleaner with their disposal.

Hurley just banging it long every time is the biggest thing I'm noticing, he really needs to be looking for better options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back