AFL Autopsy Loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard when our talls aren't taking many marks; if the talls are able to mark the ball - which requires the mids to kick it to their advantage - then it's not such a problem given Daniher, Stringer and Stewart are all very mobile for their size.

I don’t think it worked particularly well either but the proof is in the pudding, going smaller has allowed the opposition to sweep the ball out of our back 50 at a rate of knots and somehow going bigger has made that a little bit better.

I will say that the team defence was pretty good even with all the talls in the side, they might not hunt the man but the Eagles didn’t have an easy time of it at all transitioning from their back half.

Might be a little bit of a chicken and egg scenario though, difficult to say for sure.

I don’t think it worked particularly well either but the proof is in the pudding, going smaller has allowed the opposition to sweep the ball out of our back 50 at a rate of knots and somehow going bigger has made that a little bit better.

I will say that the team defence was pretty good even with all the talls in the side, they might not hunt the man but the Eagles didn’t have an easy time of it at all transitioning from their back half.

Might be a little bit of a chicken and egg scenario though, difficult to say for sure.

Tippa (0 tackles), Stringer (0), Clarke (0), Stewart (1) are three guys who should be applying fwd half pressure. That tackle count didn't even amount to half of what a third gamer did (Mosquito had 4 alone).

Tippa (0 tackles), Stringer (0), Clarke (0), Stewart (1) are three guys who should be applying fwd half pressure. That tackle count didn't even amount to half of what a third gamer did (Mosquito had 4 alone).

That’s what I mean, it’s counter intuitive but going in taller has actually allowed us to trap the ball in our half better, at the very least you can get representation to the fall of the ball and a stoppage and start again. Our primary issue in the last 6 weeks has been not being able to stop the ball, cannot set up our intercept game without slowing them down up the field.

Best defence is a good offence?

Last edited:

They did play a slightly different defensive set up. Rather than hard forward pressure they went more midfield zone to stop the Eagles ball movement by foot. It worked pretty well. After watching the game a couple more times it was clear we did a very good job over 3 quarters with the second quarter being an issue. Overall they defended the ground well. Obviously missing easy shots was the issue in the first quarter. Would have been right in the game at quarter time.
There will be games where the forward pressure will need to be high but with 3 tall forwards and Stringer there will be games where we have to defend the middle of the ground and restrict the fast footy out of defense that way. I thought it was a good change up as far as defending goes.
Lets face it we played a top 4 side and went with them for 3 1/2 quarters and only really shot ourselves in the foot with some sloppy disposal and poor kicking at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back