Autopsy Loss v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it works that way. I'm sure in his own mind he knows that, but he's a club player first and always has been. He'll play the position the coaches think are best for the team until he is told otherwise.

Mate there is no pecking order in the Midfield. One position does not take precedence over the other. That's unless we are talking Inside or outside Mid. We are talking about 2 Bulls and the responsibility of leading.

Yep, agreed. Whats the ******* point investing any of yourself in the game as a supporter when your team gets bent over week in week out. There has to be an underlying reason why.

Look at the image on how the club is portrayed in the AFL world few weeks ago Barrett and Jon Ralph were losing their s**t over the chance of getting Rowell or Anderson i quote " other clubs will be shaking their heads" like what the * is that supposed to mean but i mean sure go ahead and give Carlton or Melbourne another top 3 pick everyone is okay with that.

Bondi Billionaires when other clubs have players on 1mil+ these days, Ed and co have ****ed over our image in the AFL.

Look at the image on how the club is portrayed in the AFL world few weeks ago Barrett and Jon Ralph were losing their s**t over the chance of getting Rowell or Anderson i quote " other clubs will be shaking their heads" like what the fu** is that supposed to mean but i mean sure go ahead and give Carlton or Melbourne another top 3 pick everyone is okay with that.

Bondi Billionaires when other clubs have players on 1mil+ these days, Ed and co have f’ed over our image in the AFL.
We’re apparently not allowed to get a top 10 pick even when we are shite!
Their hypocrisy is astounding.

How I would love our Board and CEO to come out and:
1 ask for an audit of all player earnings outside the cap
2 ask for all media related earnings (inc sporty nights) and income earned via employment with coterie members to be included in the cap.

robbieando is pretty switched on with how the club is set up

but dont the afl have some control over us and our set up

Our board is appointed by the AFL except for two positions which are "member" elected. Only one election has taken place where more than one person has stood for an open position and the was the first time members held a vote since private ownership.

Despite the AFL's control over the board positions they pretty much tick off on who we want to put on the board, they haven't rejected someone we've put forward yet.

As for what B52 has said there is a process for that and its called the ASA or Additional Services Agreement Limit under the salary cap which each club gets access to for employment linked to the club via sponsors etc and media earnings. It is audited and all payments via the ASA must be approved by the AFL.

It's a mechanism of the CBA and is part of the salary cap (an extra $1,125,000 per club above the salary cap this year)

So our club isn't going to come out and ask for payments to be put into the cap which are already in the cap under the ASA as that would be considered barking at the moon and crazy considering we use the ASA as well.

Our board is appointed by the AFL except for two positions which are "member" elected. Only one election has taken place where more than one person has stood for an open position and the was the first time members held a vote since private ownership.

Despite the AFL's control over the board positions they pretty much tick off on who we want to put on the board, they haven't rejected someone we've put forward yet.

As for what B52 has said there is a process for that and its called the ASA or Additional Services Agreement Limit under the salary cap which each club gets access to for employment linked to the club via sponsors etc and media earnings. It is audited and all payments via the ASA must be approved by the AFL.

It's a mechanism of the CBA and is part of the salary cap (an extra $1,125,000 per club above the salary cap this year)

So our club isn't going to come out and ask for payments to be put into the cap which are already in the cap under the ASA as that would be considered barking at the moon and crazy considering we use the ASA as well.

cheers mate

and in terms of say blasting the umps, puts us on the backfoot a bit?

Hewetts instinct upon winning the ball is to run in a big backward circle. I've noticed it for years. It's normally not necessarily bad but at time it drives me up the wall.
Look I think his decision making is rotten and it hurts him but he is worth giving a bit of a chance To. We all consider George Hewitt a good player I would say but at times even he makes some shocking howlers when it comes to decision making. FFS ! The Guy Took 3 steps backwards today ball in hand when he won a contest today and with not one player in front of him to lay a tackle on him in what should have been a thrust forward and instead walked smack bang into a tackle from behind. Dumb is being kind. It is a Hot environment out there and some players just need time to get used to it.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look at the image on how the club is portrayed in the AFL world few weeks ago Barrett and Jon Ralph were losing their s**t over the chance of getting Rowell or Anderson i quote " other clubs will be shaking their heads" like what the fu** is that supposed to mean but i mean sure go ahead and give Carlton or Melbourne another top 3 pick everyone is okay with that.

Bondi Billionaires when other clubs have players on 1mil+ these days, Ed and co have f’ed over our image in the AFL.

Bagging players if fine. Especially Ollie for example ;) . Never seen a guy get it so often and do so little with it. 28 disposals of pure no impact.Still, a much improved effort I guess. So the bottom is in, and lets hope he finishes the year well. Perhaps needed a rest all along. Like Hayward, like Heeney, like...

Just quietly I think people might have an issue with telling an all time great and club captain to GTFO. Sure he is slowing up his prolific output, but....
And anyway can you imagine how much better he and Parker might be if they got a tap to advantage more than once per game? We are losing the HOs about 3-1 or worse atm. The HO to advantage stat must surely be all time lows over the whole year. (No fault of McLean who is solid and looks a fwd/ruck prospect for sure)

Wrong about Florent. He had a lot of impact today just by getting the ball. He doesn't need to do a lot with it to be effective because he is usually breaking lines or providing run and carry, which is what we need even if the follow-up kick isn't perfect. It's the games where he's not getting much of it, and then when he does he fluffs his kicks that are the problem for him, because his bad starts out-weighing his good. Today was definitely a reversal of that.

I know people are sensitive about bagging out the club champions and such, but that's not how I see it. What comes with accolades and appreciation is pressure and expectation. It's not unfair at all to expect Parker to perform at his best. We all know what his best looks like. Go back to 2016 to see that. He hasn't shown enough of that, so I'll call him out. Some on here, like yourself, think the club champs should be excused out of their underwhelming form, while the kids should be scrutinised much more. I guess we have the exact opposite perspectives on who and what warrants scrutiny.

As for Kennedy, I'm not disappointed with him at all. The fact he's still out there and winning the ball and trying his guts out is remarkable after nearly a decade of solid service to this club week in, week out. Time has simply caught up with him, he is only human. But I can be pissed off at Horse for persisting with such a player in the midfield when it's clearly not working, and hasn't been working for some time now.

Last edited:
Mate there is no pecking order in the Midfield. One position does not take precedence over the other. That's unless we are talking Inside or outside Mid. We are talking about 2 Bulls and the responsibility of leading.
I can tell you that there is a pecking order. All players have set positions including at the center square. There are better spots to stand at the bounce and the number 1 mid gets prime position to get the clearance. And I don't want to start this debate again but this is one of the main reasons Tom Mitchell is no longer at our club. He wanted prime position at center square and didn't want to wait his turn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not calling a bottom till i see confirmation through divergence and capitulation, followed by 3-5 period consolidation and extension..similar to...
View attachment 720142
Kidding..

Perhaps he's trying too hard in turn self perpetuating the errors..

Both florent/hayward have shown they can be important contributors, esp hayward, and am anticipating a solid presason will allow both to reset and return stronger/more confident players.
12 month price target is 24 possessions at 80% DE, 1.4 goals, 3.5 tackles and 95 Supercoach points per game. He's def broken the down trend this week, just need to see some support at this level over the next few sessions, and could break out of his range.
Mind you plenty of shares in MLL show I cannot pick the bottom at all.... :rolleyes::(

.. and there is the rub. Our Club is still the creature of the AFL. While we do not have an independent board, elected by the membership, we will remain a living dead entity. Of course the AFL does not reject the Board's nominees for new Directors. It is a self referencing closed circle.

As for extra Cap payments and the ASA, I wonder whether Riewoldts Fox salary is included in the Tiger's ASA. Are sporty's included? Basically I think all income generated by a player that relates in any way to their position as a footballer should be counted.

I also think investment opportunities (eg land, shares) should be examined. For years West Coast players benefitted from the involvement of mining and other interests in their Club. Have no doubt that these practices continue, not just at West Coast but other big Clubs.

Hewetts instinct upon winning the ball is to run in a big backward circle. I've noticed it for years. It's normally not necessarily bad but at time it drives me up the wall.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Due respect if you have noticed it so have opposition scouts. It is a bad habit imo especially when you have clear path to go forward and release. Anyway as far as driving You Up the wall Hewitt is like a 1960's tranquilizer compared to the straight jacket Lloyd puts me in.

I can tell you that there is a pecking order. All players have set positions including at the center square. There are better spots to stand at the bounce and the number 1 mid gets prime position to get the clearance. And I don't want to start this debate again but this is one of the main reasons Tom Mitchell is no longer at our club. He wanted prime position at center square and didn't want to wait his turn.

The famous Dean Towers game against Richmond where poor old Towers got the balme for the loss was one of Tom Mitchell's worst games for the club.
Josh Kennedy was a late out & he was given the main midfield role.
He had 6 kicks & 10 handballs & kicked 2 behinds & also a few pkts of BBQ shapes throughout the week.
Whipping boy Towers had 13 but kicked a goal.

So it was never going to come together for Tom as a Swan. The change flicked a switch.

The famous Dean Towers game against Richmond where poor old Towers got the balme for the loss was one of Tom Mitchell's worst games for the club.
Josh Kennedy was a late out & he was given the main midfield role.
He had 6 kicks & 10 handballs & kicked 2 behinds & also a few pkts of BBQ shapes throughout the week.
Whipping boy Towers had 13 but kicked a goal.

So it was never going to come together for Tom as a Swan. The change flicked a switch.

Rewriting history

Pretty sure Tom started on the bench that night
Hanners jack and Parker McVeigh etc all played

69 percent game time but leading the midfield?? Ha ha ha

Still had 6 score involements

Don’t make turd (using your word ;). ). Up

We're crying out for an inside mid who can rack them up. Williams and Greene yesterday both had 18 contesteds; Delideo Mumford Haynes all had 10 each. Only Heeney and Parker had 12 and 10 for Sydney. JPK just 7.

Apart from that a lot to look forward to.

Compare our season with Brisbane last year, an inexperienced team that struggled to put together four quarters.
Won 5 games and 35 quarters. Lost 5 games by <10 points and 7 games by 10-27 points.

Sydney to R19: Won 6 games and 37 quarters.
Lost 5 games by <10 points and 7 games by 10-30 points.

Inconsistency is the classic form line of young players. Put another season into this team and you'll add half a dozen games to our W column.

Rewriting history

Pretty sure Tom started on the bench that night
Hanners jack and Parker McVeigh etc all played

69 percent game time but leading the midfield?? Ha ha ha

Still had 6 score involements

Don’t make turd (using your word ;). ). Up
No he had a very poor game & having Kennedy around him made him a better player the weeks before & after because the other blokes took the best stoppers. He then played a great game a week later back on the MCG against the Hawks playing a more defensive game on Sam Mitchell as a stopper but also found the ball himself.
He was going through our usual development of a player but fair enough, he's become the number one man at Hawks but only because, by his own admission, he got fitter.

No he had a very poor game & having Kennedy around him made him a better player the weeks before & after because the other blokes took the best stoppers. He then played a great game a week later back on the MCG against the Hawks playing a more defensive game on Sam Mitchell as a stopper but also found the ball himself.
He was going through our usual development of a player but fair enough, he's become the number one man at Hawks but only because, by his own admission, he got fitter.

Correct. Changing clubs flicked the switch for him. I'm sure Sydney was telling him he had to get fitter and watch his folds etc but with little to encourage him to do it. Hawks come in, here's the number 1 spot but you need to do a, b, c to guarantee the spot. All the sudden he has some motivation to do what I'm sure he was always asked to do in the first place. Also he was 22ish when he left? He was just starting to hit is straps as an elite player when he left. A little more mature both physically and mentally. Sydney put in all the hard work without having the position to offer him. Hawks offered him the position and reaped the rewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back