FTA-TV Lost in Space Reboot

Remove this Banner Ad

Dr Smith comment

Up to Episode 7

For me as someone who grew up watching the original Dr Smith played by Jonathon Harris I am struggling with the interpretation of this one played by Parker Posey. Not that the acting is bad , maybe a little, but more that Jonathon Harris version started out mean but had that streak of cowardice that drove him in his actions. The Parker Posey (PP) character is a sociopath. Its not cowardice that drives her , its survival.

It may be that I am living in the past but the other characters have some similarities that I can at least see.

edit. name change

#grumpyoldman

Last edited:

Finding it hard to get into, I’m up to episode 4 and just find myself rolling my eyes as they get into one life threading situation after the other.

Can’t atand the robot it’s wonky and very badly done imo.

Smith is a giant snivelling campaigner that I just can’t stand, already appears to want to pit the family memebers against one another....can see it from a mile away

Already the father is the bad guy for being away from his family working..yeah what a terrible father.

s**t show imo

Dr Smith comment

Up to Episode 7

For me as someone who grew up watching the original Dr Smith played by Jonathon Taylor I am struggling with the interpretation of this one played by Parker Posey. Not that the acting is bad , maybe a little, but more that Jonathon Taylors version started out mean but had that streak of cowardice that drove him in his actions. The Parker Posey (PP) character is a sociopath. Its not cowardice that drives her , its survival.

It may be that I am living in the past but the other characters have some similarities that I can at least see.

#grumpyoldman

The original Dr. Smith was played by Jonathon Harris, not Taylor.

I agree that Posey's version lacks the comedic cowardice of the original, but I thought it really old school TV to have a villain who's bad from the get go and does everything she can to hurt other people at every moment she can, for no apparent reason other than she can. Even when it actually hurts her position or chances of survival, her default move is to harm others. Yes, it's sociopathic, but I found it compelling too. A villain who'll also go after the kids without a qualm, which you don't see on TV usually. In these respects, she was very much like the original Dr. Smith. Even the reprogramming of the robot to be her personal protector and slave was an original Dr. Smith move.

I think if you took the original Dr. Smith as created by Harris, and cut out all the hammy stuff he did - the bubble headed boobies and the comedic overacting - and got to the core of who the character is, that's exactly what Posey played. I thought she was brilliant, and very nuanced. Easy to miss given some of the big set pieces and other characters in the series. Posey's Dr. Smith wasn't a Marvel comics super villain, she was in the background, insidious, manipulating, lying, to get what advantage she could. She's the kind of villain that it's only at the end you realise how much she's been screwing you over.

Last edited:
Finished it . I think if it didnt have that LIP endorsement I may not have continued.
I may watch if a 2nd series is shown. Someone mentioned the 'always in danger' feel. I agree, saving themselves every 5 minutes is going to get tiresome. Time to step back and work on some character development and slow burn tv rather than the crash bash save lives. If I recall there were a few philosophical themes intertwined in the original. Some of the issues 50 years ago are still relevant.

Still hated Smith

Finished it . I think if it didnt have that LIP endorsement I may not have continued.
I may watch if a 2nd series is shown. Someone mentioned the 'always in danger' feel. I agree, saving themselves every 5 minutes is going to get tiresome. Time to step back and work on some character development and slow burn tv rather than the crash bash save lives. If I recall there were a few philosophical themes intertwined in the original. Some of the issues 50 years ago are still relevant.

Still hated Smith
A comment I've seen in a few reviews is some people didn't like (as you) that each episode was more like episodic TV with a new danger faced each episode, rather than a overall story arc that is the preferred method of series production these days. I didn't mind it myself, many times I was wondering how the hell will they get out of this one and thought the writers found good solutions that weren't cliche.

Fun fact: Don's pet chicken was called Debbie. This is what Penny called her pet chimp thing that only said 'bloop-bloop' in the original series.
Fun Fact 2: One of the characters is called Angela Goddard. Angela is the first name of the Penny actress Cartwright and the last name of the Don West actor Mark Goddard

I was disappointed that there were other Jupiters/humans where they landed. One of the joys of the original was the isolation and seeing Will/Penny head off with Robot to discover some crazy Alien visitor, who inevitably left them with no escape off the planet in the early days. The inclusion of other humans spoilt this Season for me. The other whinge was I wish the Robot actually spoke.

I was disappointed that there were other Jupiters/humans where they landed. One of the joys of the original was the isolation and seeing Will/Penny head off with Robot to discover some crazy Alien visitor, who inevitably left them with no escape off the planet in the early days. The inclusion of other humans spoilt this Season for me. The other whinge was I wish the Robot actually spoke.
I didnt mind this aspect. It helped build the characters and back stories. It also , I hope, gives them all a greater sense of isolation in season 2 to convey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it at some point explain why one of the daughters has different chromosomes to the family of gingers?
In the reboot: Judy is Maureen's daughter to a man she was with before she met John Robinson. Judy isn't Johns biological child. But Judy grew up with John as her father and so considers him her dad.

Compared to the original, this is a great reboot. It is worth watching, it's not cheaply made. Don't listen to trolls.

Got to agree. Started watching last night Eps 1 and 2 and thoroughly loved it and want more. They pay homage to the original series without trying to replicate it, in a way, that would make it seem a cheap imitation of the original.

Sure there are some pretty implausable passages such as slicing a broken leg open and yet can be walking around happy and healthy just a few hours later.... or driving a chariot around the wilderness where there are no tracks and yet still manage to avoid hitting a tree or stump or rock all while not looking where your going at speed. Yes, these are faults.... but...its television, its sci fi and it moves the plot along.

Considering the series might have gone the way of the 1998 movie of the same name ..... and hopefully lost in movie space for all time never to be seen again! This series has hit the right note with continued character development with plenty of unanswared questions. Personally think the producers have writtent the template for others in how to reboot an old series.

Got to agree. Started watching last night Eps 1 and 2 and thoroughly loved it and want more. They pay homage to the original series without trying to replicate it, in a way, that would make it seem a cheap imitation of the original.

Sure there are some pretty implausable passages such as slicing a broken leg open and yet can be walking around happy and healthy just a few hours later.... or driving a chariot around the wilderness where there are no tracks and yet still manage to avoid hitting a tree or stump or rock all while not looking where your going at speed. Yes, these are faults.... but...its television, its sci fi and it moves the plot along.

Considering the series might have gone the way of the 1998 movie of the same name ..... and hopefully lost in movie space for all time never to be seen again! This series has hit the right note with continued character development with plenty of unanswared questions. Personally think the producers have writtent the template for others in how to reboot an old series.
I agree. :thumbsu:

No sci-fi TV show (or movie for that matter) is perfect and if people spend their time picking all the flaws apart in everything then they'll never enjoy anything. :rolleyes: It's just entertainment. For me, the fault has to be so glaringly stupid it takes me out of the story, otherwise I can put up with things like warp drive, lasers in space, sound in space, etc. etc.

I thought they did a great job with LIS, and I look forward to watching it again.

Last edited:
Compared to the original, this is a great reboot. It is worth watching, it's not cheaply made. Don't listen to trolls.
Definitely not made on the cheap and mostly done well. Ripped through the season pretty quickly which is always a good sign. Got some other regular shows that are a chore to get through at the moment.

I enjoyed it for what it was, it's nothing ground breaking but entertaining enough, some interesting directions it could go from here.

Yeah I'm up to ep 4, agree with this. They've put decent coin into it, the effects aren't too wonky. Think the cast is fine overall, everyone putting in decent performances. Although probably more invested in the robot's story at this point lol, keen to see how it ended up on the Resolute and why it went nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back