Lost seconds after a goal is kicked in games ...keeps ticking, why?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's simple...the umpires determine when time starts/stops. (in this case, the goal umps).

Do you really want timekeepers making judgement calls about when/if the ball crosses the line for a goal from way up in the stands?

Far easier/better to leave it up to the people on the spot, and just have the timekeepers watching them for the signals.

So when a bloke gets knocked out and the players stand around for 8 minutes waiting for the medical staff to get him onto the golf cart, that shouldnt count as time off?
7 minutes to go in GF...your team is 2 points down....opposition player is knocked out. Play stops for 7 minutes. Siren sounds as he is been carted off. No worries, we lost far and square ;)!!
Golf Carts are for wimps, that KOd player would be dragged by the arms to the nearest boundary line and given a beer from the crowd to wake him up and carry on.:mad:
The game is getting to long, 2 and half hours for a game is ridiculous (4x 30min qtrs + 32min in breaks). I'd be interested in investigating the average game time this year (but i couldnt be stuffed). From memory the shortest qtr i can recall i have seen (live) has been around the 27min mark and the longest (without an injury break) around the 34min mark.

I reckon more that there needs to be more pressure from timekeeper to TV scoreboard. I am positive that this cant be in perfect sync - there is time that umpire's have called time off and the tv clock is still going.

I reckon channel 7 needs to bring in time up clock - makes the game more interesting and intense coz no one except time keepers know when the siren will go. Not these 3 minutes left, play keeping off the opposition

Nowhere near long enough. Should be 25 minutes plus time on like it was when I was growing up.

Games are meant to have 120 minutes playing time minimum.
Back when it was 25min they weren't as strict with time off/on.
When they reduced quarters to 20min they started automatically turning time off for ball ups and out of bounds, previously the clock kept ticking. They also became stricter with signalling time off when there are delays taking kicks. The main reason they did this was because too much time was being wasted in these situations, so in the end 20min quarters are actually giving us the same or more play than 25min quarters.

Edit: Also just remembered that time didn't go off until the umpire finished waving the flags for goals/behinds, now it goes off after the hand signal for goal/behind.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back