Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Herbert leaps onto GC SUNS rookie list.

Herbert-leaps-onto-GC-SUNS-rookie-list.jpg

Medium-sized defender Louis Herbert has been rewarded for his consistent season with the North Ballarat Rebels, the Vic Country representative securing a spot on the Gold Coast SUNS rookie list.

Taken with the GC SUNS first selection in the Rookie Draft at pick No. 5, Herbert shined as one of the TAC Cup’s biggest improvers this year, the 188cm Victorian claiming the 2013 Coaches Award.

Strong overhead and a terrific user of the ball, GC SUNS List & Strategy Manager Scott Clayton said the Club was excited to have secured the 19-year-old defender.

“Louis is from Warrnambool, country Victoria, and is an exciting talent around goals or in defence,” Clayton said.

“He is a fantastic intercept mark, and very skilful above head.”

“He has played in the U18 championships for the past two seasons, and we’re very pleased to see him develop off our rookie list.”

Herbert will arrive on the Gold Coast in the coming days, before officially joining the team on Monday for the remainder of the Club’s 2014 Pre-Season training.

Height: 188cm.
Weight: 77kg.

Perhaps SCPaige could expand, but this is her profile:

One of the better stories of this year’s draft crop, Louis Herbert was painfully overlooked in last year’s National Draft, which came as a surprise to many after a solid year at the Rebels, playing mainly as a forward. To Herbert’s credit, when invited to rejoin the Rebels as a top-age player this season, Herbert accepted right away and went back to work improving areas of his game that caused him to go un-drafted last season. 2013 has been a successful year for the South Warnambool product, who’s versatility has become a talking point since moved to a defensive post in the TAC Cup, which ultimately gained him selection in the Vic Metro squad, a position in which Herbert cemented throughout the championships, playing four out of five games for country. Herbert displayed capabilities of playing a tall and small, lockdown and a rebounder, where his strong kicking and elite marking were highlights. In defence, Herbert’s long penetrating and accurate kick is a talking point, he gets involved in a lot of play, and is ranked number 1 in the TAC Cup for the most score chain involvements, underlining he is an important avenue to goal, setting up from defence. Pushing up higher to wing, Herbert’s vision and ability to read the play has certainty been aided by his time in defence, a strong weapon he has added to his arsenal in 2013. Herbert get’s a lot of the football, and it’s on a wing where he can really be damaging, thanks largely to his athleticism, strong hands and neat disposal when under pressure. When forward, Herbert’s strength in a contest shines bright; the fiery red-head is hard to miss, and like many before him – Herbert is tough, courageous and a hard worker – an honest footballer who plays to his strengths whilst knowing his limitations. He’s quick off the mark, and is classy enough to finish from the boundary, or snap over his shoulder. Herbert, who was once a one-dimensional forward, has blossomed into a damaging key utility capable of an array of roles, of which the modern game demands. He’ll be a highly sought after player come November.

Strengths
Herbert’s development as a whole is incredibly encouraging to recruiters, which has seen him put his “head down, bum up” in order to refine his game in areas that weren’t perhaps as polished than other similar types of players in 2012. Elite mark (one of the best in this year’s crop), very good at ground level, brilliant in a contested situation, strong vertical leap, a team player, strong kick for goal, very athletic and deceptively quick, nice turn of speed, good user under pressure, clean hands and plays the percentages. Gives you a bit of everything, a hard, honest footballer who won’t give up. There is plenty of upside in Herbert, depending on what a club wants to mould him into.

Weaknesses
Still yet to impact over four quarters, and is at an awkward height at 187cms. Depending on what club picks him up, he’ll need to work hard to establish himself as either a third tall at either end of the ground, or perhaps up his endurance pace to offer a role through the midfield.

National Championships Stats
  • Round 1 - 20 disposals, 5 inside 50′s and 4 marks.
  • Averaged 14 disposals, 4 marks, 1 contested mark, 1 rebound 50, 1 tackle per game across the National Championships
  • Currently averaging 25 disposals, 9 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 rebound 50′s, 4 tackles and 1 goal in the TAC Cup

Bound For Glory profile:
Being overlooked in last year’s national draft is an unfortunate experience, however for North Ballarat Rebels’ Louis Herbert, his head has remained in the game throughout the 2013 TAC Cup season in a bid to seek redemption. The incredibly self-aware, top-age player has recognized the importance of his own development and has sought to improve his game throughout the year.

The fiery redhead is well adapted to the modern game, where in the cutthroat world of AFL one needs to offer an array of skills and benefits to the team. Herbert’s versatility is a significant standout: once considered comfortable in the one position, his rotation to the wing this season has proven an advantageous strategic choice. Consequently, Herbert’s flexibility across both a forward and defensive position will be a handy addition to any club. Whilst he may not quite have the height to be considered a key tall player to the side, what he lacks in height he makes up for in skills.

His kicking is rarely inaccurate and has the strength behind it to be smoothly cleared from defence or added to the chain of scoring assists. As well, his quick hands are imperative to the speed of the game, helping Herbert in the endeavor to clear the ball and contribute to the flow. Solid marks are a common occurrence in his performance, another skill that has been fine-tuned over the course of his playing career and could edge him above the rest.

In contests, Herbert more often than not comes out on top despite his slim-built frame. Often given the task of closing down key players when in a defensive position, his ability to win the contested ball both- from the ground and in the air- and efficiently dispose of it reflects why he can be depended upon with confidence. Averaging around 25 touches a game throughout the TAC Cup season, it isn’t difficult to fathom his effect on the North Ballarat Rebels. His surprisingly quick pace is another of his handy assets and will be well suited to the big stage in whichever position he is best suited to.

His weaknesses lie in the fact that whilst he contributes to stellar passages of play in each game, he sometimes lapses in consistently making an impact across all four quarters. This is reminiscent of a few other potential draftees this year, thus they must all seek to overshadow this limitation in order to differentiate themselves from the rest. However, Herbert’s maturity combined with his hardworking and intelligent approach to the game and his own development means he has the capability of fixing this up if given the opportunity.

In the Bound For Glory News Rising Stars Phantom Draft, Herbert was selected by Collingwood with pick 48 to play a utility role similar to Tyson Goldsack and plug holes where ever required.

The bright, hardworking utility player faces an integral challenge up against the cream of the crop of this year’s players, yet his personal development thus far has demonstrated that he is more than capable. Whilst he may not be among the highest picks, it would be a shame to see his talents overlooked yet again.

Big Red Machine it must be love, love, love.
The King Red approves this draft pick.

27/11/13 - The day the Louis Herbert bandwagon was born.

Also the day he joins Bluey and Rory as members of the Ranga Kingdom. xD

3 years minimum of this kid, Scotty Clayton is a genius.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I dont think this guy will last more than 1-2 years on our rookie list. To me he seems far too good and well rounded to be a rookie. Should be in Osborne's spot on the senior list.

I don't think he's necessarily quick? Looking at his combine results, he didn't test very fast.

Combine results

Height: 188.7cm.
Weight: 76.4kg.
Skinfolds: 41.2. Top 86%.
Standing Vert Jump: 71. Top 93%.
Running Right Jump: 81. Top 91%.
Running Left Jump: 85. Top 87%.
20 meter sprint: 3.06. Top 62%.
Agility: 8.68. 38%. (not good!)
Shuttle: 14.
Repeat Sprint: 24.38. Top 91%.
3km: 10.59. 49%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is listed at 189cm and 76kg now.

I cant see this on the web version of our site but I can on my Android app for some reason :\

I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but this guy stands out like no tomorrow in various photos.

1486771_10151814663300509_204849749_n.jpg

Definitely redder than our own BRM.
:O.... :(

It's ok, I'll just go and cry in the corner for a few months.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You know the kid is an unknown when I have to double post in his thread 7 and a bit months apart with a fresh bit of news but.

Rookie upgrade puts Herbert on verge of AFL action with Gold Coast Suns
OUT Gary Ablett, in Louis Herbert.

The two-time Brownlow medallist’s season-ending shoulder surgery has paved the way for the South Warrnambool export to be upgraded to a senior AFL list.

Herbert, 20, was elevated from Gold Coast’s rookie list yesterday in place of the injured Suns skipper and named as an emergency for its round 18 clash against Brisbane at the Gabba tomorrow.

The former North Ballarat Rebel’s rapid rise follows football hardships.

He was overlooked in two national drafts before the Suns took a punt on him with pick four in last year’s rookie draft.

The versatile 188-centimetre prospect’s strong form of late for the club’s NEAFL side pushed his case for senior elevation.

Herbert has played as a medium-sized forward for the Suns’ second-tier team after he was drafted on a stellar TAC Cup season at half-back.

The Rebels’ decision to play the former Emmanuel Hawk in defence as a 19-year-old, having spent the bulk of his football career in attack, catapulted his draft chances.

Herbert‘s father Peter said he and wife Karen were proud of their son’s achievements. “He has worked super hard and the boys at the TAC Cup up there did a wonderful job with him,” he said.

“He loves his footy and knows what he wants to do.

“He’d be over the moon and excited (about a potential debut in coming weeks) but obviously nervous and will be trying to think about putting his best foot forward.

“Wherever he plays he gives his best.”

Peter, who has watched five NEAFL games live this season, said his son had embraced the Queensland lifestyle and his new club.

“It has been a fantastic year for the lad after missing the last two drafts and to be picked up as a rookie,” he said.

“He hasn’t got homesick and he loves the lifestyle up there.”

If Herbert is called up to play tomorrow he will become the third of four south-west teenagers drafted last year to debut in their first seasons.

Terang Mortlake’s Lewis Taylor will line up for his 18th appearance for Brisbane tomorrow, having played every game since his round one call-up, and Cobden’s Zach Merrett has played 14 games for Essendon.

Kolora-Noorat’s Nick Bourke, a rookie at Geelong, has played in the VFL.
Source: http://www.standard.net.au/story/24...-on-verge-of-afl-action-with-gold-coast-suns/

Here we go, Listed as an Emergency for today's Lions/Suns tilt with hearsay and rumor pointing towards a late inclusion that could possibly hand him his AFL debut.

Couple of games into the Medium Red Machine... (Better nickname pending) and all of them has been with the vest on with bugger all gametime in some of those games.

Looks a little bit lost out there, But one thing that I did notice is that he is not afraid to get into the contest and tie up the ball carrier.

His Sub count is 3, A long way to go before he gets into Jack Hutchins numbers at the very least.

Yeah so that's about it, Hurry up and kick a goal so I can celebrate it - Those ballons wont stay inflated for much longer >_<

He's got a bit about him, just appears to lacks agility or pace and he'll need to work on those if he's going to push into this side.

He's got a bit about him, just appears to lacks agility or pace and he'll need to work on those if he's going to push into this side.
Yeah is agility numbers at the combine weren't high enough for him to be taken in the Entry Draft but we've still got 2 and a bit years before we need to make a decision on upgrading him and if a Sprint coach can slash my times I'm sure they can turn Louie into something special.

You can't teach instincts or Football IQ, Players like Louie and Boston have them in spades. Makes up for lack of physical talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back