Opinion Love and Hate drafting moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Forget retrospect. At the time, on the night, what was your most loved and most hated drafting moments within the context of our current team.

Only taking an interest from 2017 onwards my top 2 are:

Loves.
Hunter Clark at p7
Jack Bytel at p41

H8s
Clav just before Jack Petruccelli.
Allison just before Poulter.

Last edited:
Unpopular; Disliked Hunter+ Coff, kinda much of a muchness in speed stakes and we lacked line breakers and were one paced so go different with one of them FFS. Can understand why we did though so meh, not like a hate more a nitpick. Calder is my area and we got Bytel from there in '18 so I was kinda hoping for Balta as one just from what I saw, but I state s**t on here as opinions are AFL Commission.

If I had to state a love, it was 2018 that the first 2 clubs did not take either King, as god did we need a leading forward that demanded things that wasn't Membrey running under balls constantly. So thanks Blues and GCS.

With hindsight, that Hunter+Coff would be how great might one + Naughton look right about now if we had great scouting and hindsight for our forward half issues?

Lonie over Caleb Daniel was an obvious one.

Last edited:
Love:
  • 2021 - The relief when Owens was not picked up on the first night
  • 2018 - Getting Maxy King
  • 2016 - Snagging the sliding Josh Battle
  • 2015 - Jade Gresham looked like a really good option to compliment trading down for Carlisle
  • 2015 - Finally getting a father-son in Bailey Rice, and under the Bluebaggers noses too!
  • 2014 - Loved the bookend picks of McCartin and Goddard. Wow.
  • 2013 - Thought Dunstan & Acres would be a good pairing (originally anticipated Dunstan-Dumont)
  • 2012 - Taking "the next Buddy" - Spencer White
  • 2011 - Snagging slider Daniel Markworth
  • 2010 - Getting Ryan Gamble as a late pick
  • 2009 - Rolling the dice on Jesse W. Smith with a late pick
  • 2008 - Getting big Rhys Stanley
Hate:
  • Whenever we've passed in the first round of the rookie draft. I get there are usually reasons but hate to see a chance like that dismissed
  • Re-rookies - again I academically understand but doesn't mean I like it
  • 2021 - Taking a mid-size forward in the second round of the mid-season draft. Sorry Cooper!
  • 2019 - Not matching Richmond's Biggy bid
  • 2016 - Reaching for Benny Long with our first pick
  • 2014 - Overlooking the romance of taking Tom Lamb
  • 2011 - Overlooking ball magnet Mitch Grigg for Jack Newnes
  • 2010 - Passing up Jack Darling for the ungrateful Jamie Cripps
  • 2009 - Seeing Goose Maguire go to the Lions with a late pick, insult to injury on 99 games
  • 2008 - Taking Tom Lynch over Jackson Trengove and Tom Swift
  • 2007 - Redrafting Fraser Gehrig
  • 2006 - Taking Armitage over Jack Riewolt and James Frawley

Interesting thread, cheers for posting.

I don't know about hate but Matty Allison seems like a bizarre call that I'm sure we could've taken more ready made players instead of.

The deal for Carlisle and Gresham was fantastic I thought, and our draft of McCartin and Goddard. I thought we had our next two bookends set for the next 10 years.

Edit - Woops thought this said draft and trade moments. Scrap the Carlisle and Gresham comment in that case although it still was great to draft a player like Gresh

Interesting thread, cheers for posting.

I don't know about hate but Matty Allison seems like a bizarre call that I'm sure we could've taken more ready made players instead of.

The deal for Carlisle and Gresham was fantastic I thought, and our draft of McCartin and Goddard. I thought we had our next two bookends set for the next 10 years.

Edit - Woops thought this said draft and trade moments. Scrap the Carlisle and Gresham comment in that case although it still was great to draft a player like Gresh
It’s all good. Maybe he’ll turn into the next DMac… Afterall, it’s bizarre that we’ve extended him til the end of 2024

Just going to stick to more recent times for mine. I had blind faith and was loving everything we were doing before the realization in 2018 that it was a failed rebuild.

Loved:

• Clark at 7. Should’ve been a mid by now though he doesn’t help himself at times.
  • Byrnes at the late pick he was.
  • Bytel.

Not thrilled with:

• Allison had me scratching my head. Was never going to work.
  • At the time….King at 4. I know I know while he could be one of the best ever, at the time I thought we needed mids. Four years later (well a decade really) and we still need them. Which leads to my next pick. :/
  • NWM. Has looked good at times but again another non mid. Wingers don’t win you flags.
  • Sharman. Happy with it now though.

So yeah pretty much every pick that isn’t a midfielder I question if you hadn’t already noticed.

It’s all good. Maybe he’ll turn into the next DMac… Afterall, it’s bizarre that we’ve extended him til the end of 2024
Yeah that is really odd. I understand the club reckon he's a project player but he's not a key tall that historically take longer to develop, and he's been apparently developing for a few years now.

I normally can see why we draft players but I'm stumped on Allison.

Loved when the Goldie selected Ben King.
Yessssssss what a mob of idiots, he’ll be at the Saints in two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I normally can see why we draft players but I'm stumped on Allison.

I think the club decided to go the horse racing approach where you recruit purely based on bloodlines and then just hope the "colt" comes good.

It clearly was not based on any demonstrated football ability.

Unpopular; Disliked Hunter+ Coff, kinda much of a muchness in speed stakes and we lacked line breakers and were one paced so go different with one of them FFS. Can understand why we did though so meh, not like a hate more a nitpick. Calder is my area and we got Bytel from there in '18 so I was kinda hoping for Balta as one just from what I saw, but I state s**t on here as opinions are AFL Commission.

If I had to state a love, it was 2018 that the first 2 clubs did not take either King, as god did we need a leading forward that demanded things that wasn't Membrey running under balls constantly. So thanks Blues and GCS.

With hindsight, that Hunter+Coff would be how great might one + Naughton look right about now if we had great scouting and hindsight for our forward half issues?
Coff vs Hunter in a foot race , i know who would win by a mile

Love:
  • 2021 - The relief when Owens was not picked up on the first night
  • 2018 - Getting Maxy King
  • 2016 - Snagging the sliding Josh Battle
  • 2015 - Jade Gresham looked like a really good option to compliment trading down for Carlisle
  • 2015 - Finally getting a father-son in Bailey Rice, and under the Bluebaggers noses too!
  • 2014 - Loved the bookend picks of McCartin and Goddard. Wow.
  • 2013 - Thought Dunstan & Acres would be a good pairing (originally anticipated Dunstan-Dumont)
  • 2012 - Taking "the next Buddy" - Spencer White
  • 2011 - Snagging slider Daniel Markworth
  • 2010 - Getting Ryan Gamble as a late pick
  • 2009 - Rolling the dice on Jesse W. Smith with a late pick
  • 2008 - Getting big Rhys Stanley
Hate:
  • Whenever we've passed in the first round of the rookie draft. I get there are usually reasons but hate to see a chance like that dismissed
  • Re-rookies - again I academically understand but doesn't mean I like it
  • 2021 - Taking a mid-size forward in the second round of the mid-season draft. Sorry Cooper!
  • 2019 - Not matching Richmond's Biggy bid
  • 2016 - Reaching for Benny Long with our first pick
  • 2014 - Overlooking the romance of taking Tom Lamb
  • 2011 - Overlooking ball magnet Mitch Grigg for Jack Newnes
  • 2010 - Passing up Jack Darling for the ungrateful Jamie Cripps
  • 2009 - Seeing Goose Maguire go to the Lions with a late pick, insult to injury on 99 games
  • 2008 - Taking Tom Lynch over Jackson Trengove and Tom Swift
  • 2007 - Redrafting Fraser Gehrig
  • 2006 - Taking Armitage over Jack Riewolt and James Frawley

LOL i nodded my head when i read the Re-rookies, then thought, except for Fraser Gehrig.
Love / Hate.
2021: Seeing the plan play out perfectly, trading out our second, and getting Windy and Owens for late picks / No Hate.
2020: No Love. / Trading our first down and getting a couple of bleagh picks. Doing a bullshit trade involving 3 useless picks for Nick Hind.
2019: Getting Ryder and Howard for a tiny first round downgrade / Pissing it all away on Hill, while others were saying "what could go wrong, he's just what we need ".
2018: Max King seemed to fall to us and picking up the injured but highly rated Bytel. / Trading pick 28 ( James Jordan ) for later picks.
2017: Getting Hunter Clark. / No Hate
2016: No love / Getting Ben ( who? ) Long instead of Fisher or Bolton or Drew.
2015: Yep, Ricey , FS. / Trading for Carlisle with Dodo as his trade price went up and up, big thank you to Clarko .

Loves: Getting Hill into the club as a top 3 forward running winger in the league. Simply put the ball out in front of him to his advantage & watch the magic happen with him hitting forwards on the chest.

Hates: Playing a top 3 winger in Hill as a lockdown defender as we suffered through another year butchering forward entries.

Only care since the current guys are in charge. All of last year is brilliant. The year before not so much. Previously the best one apart from obvious are Steven and fisher. Clearly paddy the worst. I refuse to say billings because that was just a great pick by the dogs. Don’t believe me look up previews of that season. Ball over Judd probably struggles but still our best draft year ever. Hopefully last year is similar. Our best trade and draft year by kilometres is 2000. Blight was great for something

Only care since the current guys are in charge. All of last year is brilliant. The year before not so much. Previously the best one apart from obvious are Steven and fisher. Clearly paddy the worst. I refuse to say billings because that was just a great pick by the dogs. Don’t believe me look up previews of that season. Ball over Judd probably struggles but still our best draft year ever. Hopefully last year is similar. Our best trade and draft year by kilometres is 2000. Blight was great for something

I call bullshit that you were excited and loved it when we drafted Steven and Fisher.
At the time of the draft they were slightly known smokey picks.

I call bullshit that you were excited and loved it when we drafted Steven and Fisher.
At the time of the draft they were slightly known smokey picks.
Sorry I didn’t read the initial post. Thought it was about success and failure after the event. Never heard of either of them when they were drafted but got to know both very well.

hated the mccartin selection. didnt understand it then. still do not understand it.

I didn't hate it.
Was told that "Paddy is a bewdy " and Nick Riewoldt wasn't getting any younger.
I could accept that we might need to draft a tall and forgo the mid ( and there were questions about Petracca too ).

The horror came later for me.

I didn't hate it.
Was told that "Paddy is a bewdy " and Nick Riewoldt wasn't getting any younger.
I could accept that we might need to draft a tall and forgo the mid ( and there were questions about Petracca too ).

The horror came later for me.
I must admit that was 2 players I had heard about. I didn’t understand it because I saw nothing from juniors to suggest paddy was going to be a tall forward. Looked slow to me and wasn’t hugely tall. Anyway it’s over and done and both look like having great careers.

I must admit that was 2 players I had heard about. I didn’t understand it because I saw nothing from juniors to suggest paddy was going to be a tall forward. Looked slow to me and wasn’t hugely tall. Anyway it’s over and done and both look like having great careers.

At the time i wondered why we weren't considering Peter Wright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back