Love Letter

Remove this Banner Ad

All of the eligible young men (and many of the not-so-young) seek to woo the princess of Tempest. Unfortunately, she has locked herself in the palace, and you must rely on others to take your romantic letters to her. Will yours reach her first?

Love Letter is a game of risk, deduction, and luck for 2–4 players. Your goal is to get your love letter into Princess Annette's hands while deflecting the letters from competing suitors. From a deck with only sixteen cards, each player starts with only one card in hand; one card is removed from play. On a turn, you draw one card, and play one card, trying to expose others and knock them from the game. Powerful cards lead to early gains, but make you a target. Rely on weaker cards for too long, however, and your letter may be tossed in the fire!

Number 4 in the Tempest Shared World Game Series

Last edited:

This game has almost been worn out after six months of solid use. It's compact so works well for a quick game at airports etc. I think it's only 16 cards and a bunch of red cube tokens.

Easy to teach, fun and casual.

Damn 6 months, i had mine a week and had to run for sleeves it was getting used so much.

I picked this one up for my 10 year old's birthday and we've played it every day this week.

I was trouncing him in one game and he came back from 6-1 down to win. Just kept guessing my cards, swapping me the Princess then forcing me to discard. Every trick in the book, he played it.

Am getting some cards printed up for this through ArtsCow as I have some free cards still. Looking forward to it, always good to have some two player light filler games.

Finally got to play this on New Years Day, friends were maybe a little reluctant but we got it going. First game took about 45 minutes for 4 player, but we were hooked by the end, very simple and easy to learn but enough depth and strategy to play it repeatedly - between drink stops and rules learning, I reckon we will shave that down to 20 minutes a game in future.

I made a late surge, but the eventual winner led from the start.

I'm so rubbish at this game. Still heaps of fun though.

One neat thing about it is that it is so easily thematised: even easier for me to be rubbish at when it's based around a show I've barely seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this as a starter game to play with my friends before we get into some of the bigger games. Very light hearted fun which can get rather intense when it goes down to the final gem/heart. My friends have the Adventure Times version which is great.

Recently got Love Letter with the expansion to turn it into a 8 player game. Some of the new cards are fun but I think what makes this game so good is the speed of it is lost when playing it with so many players. If I play it again with the expansion, won't be forcing x amount of hearts, rather just play it for 20-30min then move onto the next game rather then grinding to get a winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back