Autopsy Loved, Hated, Learnt - 2017 Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved : Not much.

Hated: Not much.

Learnt: Levers a Turd. Cameron's a Turd. Gibbs and that other bloke are legends.

Bring on 2018. Tiges Crows GF rematch please.

Hodge got to Bris, and I have no idea how. He wasn't a free agent (no effect on the Rockliff compensation) and he wasn't taken through the draft. Did he teleport and we were all so stunned at his use of futuristic technology that we forgot to ask? I'm still confused. #freekickbrisbane
Yep. Strange, huh. It turns out that they did something really odd, and 'traded' for him. I know - not what you expect to see during the trade period.

Not the first time that a club has traded a player instead of picking him up as an FA so as not to hurt their compensation... Pretty basic really. And no, there was no weird, dodgy Terry-Wallace-imagined conspiracy.

Edit: Went back to see when this sort of tactic started. Turns out it first happened in the first ever free agency period. Port traded for Monfries rather than picking him up as a free agent to prevent losing compensation they received for Troy Chaplin and Danyle Pearce...

Last edited:
Edit: Went back to see when this sort of tactic started. Turns out it first happened in the first ever free agency period. Port traded for Monfries rather than picking him up as a free agent to prevent losing compensation they received for Troy Chaplin and Danyle Pearce...
Cats and Hawks all did the same thing with their veterans. It means they can start training with their new teams straight away rather than waiting for their new clubs to grab em in a rookie draft.

Loved: Gibbs going to Adelaide and Adelaide paying massive overs, forget the $100 paid $50 paid stuff, who cares! I watched gibbs more closely than ever before and realised he is not a 2 way player. He constantly looks for the cheap Kick or cheap goal. He has skill and can lay a tackle but he does not have the stamina to run the other way, this is not something you can see on TV. And with the crows losing Lever they this leaves a massive hole, Carlton got one back on the crows!

Learned: I already knew SOS was a genius. I will go with the Bulldogs stupidity in the way they handled Stringer. The kid has problems but he has X factor! I can't understand why more clubs were not interested in him, regardless of his issues he is a gun. I think back to when Dusty could not get $500k and the blues were too busy giving Daisy 700k. Dusty has a brownlow and a premiership to his name now and deserves every penny he gets. Another player who you would consider X Factor was Toby Green, after the Zagames incident you could have given a 3rd rounder for him and now he is arguably the best small forward in the game. Clubs need to back themselves when a player has the X factor and i believe Essendon with the additions of Saad and Smith are genuine premiership contenders. Not bad only a couple of years after the drugs saga. I don't think the blues have ever recovered from the Salary cap breaches almost 20 years ago!

Hated: NAB Ad Radio, for Weeks the same stuff every single day, and nothing happened. They played the same 6 ads over and over 5 minutes of talk back then the same 6 adds over and over. The could have made so much more of the show.

Loved: Gibbs going to Adelaide and Adelaide paying massive overs, forget the $100 paid $50 paid stuff, who cares! I watched gibbs more closely than ever before and realised he is not a 2 way player. He constantly looks for the cheap Kick or cheap goal. He has skill and can lay a tackle but he does not have the stamina to run the other way, this is not something you can see on TV. And with the crows losing Lever they this leaves a massive hole, Carlton got one back on the crows!

Learned: I already knew SOS was a genius. I will go with the Bulldogs stupidity in the way they handled Stringer. The kid has problems but he has X factor! I can't understand why more clubs were not interested in him, regardless of his issues he is a gun. I think back to when Dusty could not get $500k and the blues were too busy giving Daisy 700k. Dusty has a brownlow and a premiership to his name now and deserves every penny he gets. Another player who you would consider X Factor was Toby Green, after the Zagames incident you could have given a 3rd rounder for him and now he is arguably the best small forward in the game. Clubs need to back themselves when a player has the X factor and i believe Essendon with the additions of Saad and Smith are genuine premiership contenders. Not bad only a couple of years after the drugs saga. I don't think the blues have ever recovered from the Salary cap breaches almost 20 years ago!

Hated: NAB Ad Radio, for Weeks the same stuff every single day, and nothing happened. They played the same 6 ads over and over 5 minutes of talk back then the same 6 adds over and over. The could have made so much more of the show.

Oh dear...

I liked the part about Gibbs looking for a cheap goal. I don't know about you, but I hate it when player go for a cheap and easy goal. It's just slack. Why not make it difficult?

I like the part where he's their best player one minute and as soon as he's traded hes a one way squib.

I like the part where he's their best player one minute and as soon as he's traded hes a one way squib.
Come back at the end of next season and tell me! He is a good player but not a great player. When i say cheap goal, he runs off his opponent and gets caught out on the turnover, it happens more often than the cheap goal being kicked. The turnover may not happen as much in Adelaide but Bryce will be the one standing in the middle of the ground as his opponent is running with the ball through half forward kicking to the full forward.

Last edited:
Come back at the end of next season and tell me! He is a good player but not a great player.

Only good, which explains why he was top 5 in your B+F for how many years in a row?

Only a good player was 4th in your B+F...geeze I hate to hear your assessment of the rest of the list.

Only good, which explains why he was top 5 in your B+F for how many years in a row?

Only a good player was 4th in your B+F...geeze I hate to hear your assessment of the rest of the list.

The list has been awful for a long time! turnover 42 players in the last 3 years. i'm just telling you he is not as good as you think he is. And his glaring weekness is not getting back on defence, this is against what Carlton is trying to build. Unfortunately it means they don't kick scores, but thats another topic. The only way you can see this is watching from the stands, you can't see it on TV. At the end of next season tell me if I'm right or wrong

The list has been awful for a long time! turnover 42 players in the last 3 years. i'm just telling you he is not as good as you think he is. And his glaring weekness is not getting back on defence, this is against what Carlton is trying to build. Unfortunately it means they don't kick scores, but thats another topic. The only way you can see this is watching from the stands, you can't see it on TV. At the end of next season tell me if I'm right or wrong

Oh so now he's been traded because he doesnt fit with Carlton's new defensive style?

I think I've officially heard it all now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice troll, 2nd account of whom?

Coz your not an Essendon supporter at all

Loved: Hearing Dons mates telling me how their pick ups make them the new Tigers.

Hated: Hearing player managers talk, move, breathe.

Learnt: The Premiership party continues.

Told you So! Bryce Gibbs!

Told ya you guys would finish bottom too and look at that I was correct.
Gibbs trade looking better and better every day. Pick 19 in a good draft vs Pick 16 in a rubbish draft.

A first round pick and a 3 pick downgrade = winning.

Told You So!
Umm. No you didn't.

1. Smugness isn't particularly becoming.
2. You've proved absolutely nothing. Adelaide failing to make finals offers no commentary on Gibbs' abilities. Unless I missed the part about teams no longer having 18 players on the field.
3. I didn't offer a comment on Gibbs' ability. I don't watch enough Carlton or Adelaide to have much of an opinion. I simply laughed at the fact that you said that Gibbs looks for the "cheap goals", and how dumb that statement is.
4. You're a Carlton fan. Are you sure you want to be claiming superiority of your club and list management?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back