List Mgmt. Loving the selection headaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s certainly a nice change.
Debating the forward set up…ins & outs, team structure once Grungy returns.
If Macrae, McInnes, Krueger, Dean & Begg come on next year.
Certainly a prospective logjam - and without seeming too brutal - we will be moving some players on for a lot more than we have been because of it.

For how many seasons has selection remained basically static only to be revitalized with an injection of well picked youth over the last couple of years.

And for those Hine haters . . .

He's still here and he's picking the eyes out of the mid season draft.
I was just thinking the same thing. All this debate over whether to play Henry, AJ or Ginnivan et al (Finn McRae and then next year Krueger and that other LTI I can't think of), and then are selection headaches will be compounded in the coming weeks with Grundy and JDG available. We haven't had this depth since 2018. It's great to see!

For how many seasons has selection remained basically static …

On the contrary, under Buckley (and Harvey) it felt like we were making a bunch of changes every week. Selection was a revolving door.

It feels a lot more static under Fly, a lot more continuity of selection.

The reason why the selectors are struggling at the moment has more to do with best 22 coming back from injury, rather than players pushing up from the VFL.

Last edited:
On the contrary, under Buckley (and Harvey) it felt like we were making a bunch of changes every week.

The reason why the selectors are struggling at the moment has more to do with best 22 coming back from injury, rather than players pushing up from the VFL.
Sorry to disagree but there you go.

Yep, any competition for spots is good to see. I’m looking forward to the next step though when that competition isn’t just amongst youth, but also includes experienced players. Think 2010 when Lockyer, Medhurst and Fraser missed out.

I was just thinking the same thing. All this debate over whether to play Henry, AJ or Ginnivan et al (Finn McRae and then next year Krueger and that other LTI I can't think of), and then are selection headaches will be compounded in the coming weeks with Grundy and JDG available. We haven't had this depth since 2018. It's great to see!

In 2018 we needed the depth, especially in defence. This time around we are largely injury free with Grundy ready to go and Jordy a week away too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the contrary, under Buckley (and Harvey) it felt like we were making a bunch of changes every week. Selection was a revolving door.

It’s a bit of both. Fly has definitely backed some players in…..early in the season he wasn’t doing that. Cox the best example, dropped unfairly after one poor game and then overlooked for Begg. Finally gave him the callback and gave him a decent run at it in his right position. something Buckley never did.

Johnson and Bianco have recently forced their way into the 22 so he’s been trying to reward vfl form where he can. Hard with a full list and good firm.

Murphy is another he called up immediately after just one VFL game,

The blokes who came in to cover senior players have done well. Depth looks much stronger than it appeared early in the year due to Cox, Murphy, Bianco, Ruscoe, Carmichael, Henry and AJ showing they can contribute. As well as guys like Ginnivan, McCreery, and Daicos being good enough to more than hold their spots. Come finals, we should actually have a squad to pick from, rather than struggling to get to 22.

I think from next season we will start to really have selection pressure,we are worrying about fitting Johnson and Henry in the same team but what about next season when Krueger is available.I would like Krueger in the side because of his physicality which we need,I think we also need one of either Dean,Liam M or I am surprised to be thinking this Kelly to come on as a tall defender we are holding up alright atm but I do not see Murphy as big enough for a key defender.

As I said I was very surprised with how Kelly is looking in the 2,s I watched a replay of the Port match he looks much different to how he used to attitude wise at least he is KPD sized. I think next season we will really have competition for spots among our smaller players, I can see the 3 Sa boys plus MaCrae and MaCinnes pushing on.

It is a good position to be in for myself I just dream of the day when we have 6 or 7 boys playing a 150 to 200 games together that would ensure long term success.

Ps Thanks JonB a great idea for a thread I just hope we don,t F--- it up.

I think from next season we will start to really have selection pressure,we are worrying about fitting Johnson and Henry in the same team but what about next season when Krueger is available.I would like Krueger in the side because of his physicality which we need,I think we also need one of either Dean,Liam M or I am surprised to be thinking this Kelly to come on as a tall defender we are holding up alright atm but I do not see Murphy as big enough for a key defender.

As I said I was very surprised with how Kelly is looking in the 2,s I watched a replay of the Port match he looks much different to how he used to attitude wise at least he is KPD sized. I think next season we will really have competition for spots among our smaller players, I can see the 3 Sa boys plus MaCrae and MaCinnes pushing on.

It is a good position to be in for myself I just dream of the day when we have 6 or 7 boys playing a 150 to 200 games together that would ensure long term success.

Ps Thanks JonB a great idea for a thread I just hope we don,t F--- it up.

Posts like this explain why we need to be extremely careful with our recruitment this off season. We really need to understand what our needs are before we chuck big money on a player we don’t need because we already have him but didn’t realise. That means taking a punt/making a guess on the many talented players we have in the vfl, especially those out for the year like Dean Kreuger McInnes and Wilson.

It’s a bit of both. Fly has definitely backed some players in…..early in the season he wasn’t doing that. Cox the best example, dropped unfairly after one poor game and then overlooked for Begg. Finally gave him the callback and gave him a decent run at it in his right position. something Buckley never did.

I reckon this was the epitome of Fly’s mantra of setting a player up to succeed.

When Grundy went down it would have been easy to bring Cox straight back in. It felt to me like he was told “ We’re going to need you in the ruck. Get 2-3 weeks of solid ruck work back in. Find that form you had at the start of the year and you’ll come back in”

He would have felt low on confidence, if Cox can feel that, after the Brisbane game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back