Food/Supplements Low fat plant based diet

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've decided to give this a crack.

Some of you might know this diet from the documentary.

Forks_Over_Knives_movie_poster.png

I'm worried about damage to my endothelial cells which is the inner lining of the circulatory system. There has been some heart disease in my family and I'm starting to get on in years so I need to preserve my own health.

I've gone vegan before for short stints but I don't really like that label. I really don't care about avoiding animal products. Really I just care about avoiding junk most of the time.

So I'm going to transition into this diet slowly at first just to figure out what meals I like. Giving up meat has always been difficult for me and I always go back to it but who knows I might be able to kick the habit eventually.

I know I want to give up fish. The mercury levels are just too high and the fish concentrate pollution in their bodies. You can get Omega-3 from flaxseed and chia so I'm going to give that a go.

I know many on this forum follow the opposite school of thought with high fat, low carb diets but I don't think that's the right diet for me. I'm going to do my research and find out more but I suspect that paleo although it has some good principles isn't really that healthy.

I recently watch the short doco Sugar vs Fat.

The fat diet twin was the one that ended up prediabetic with high blood glucose and insulin resistance. The sugar diet twin was making more insulin.

The sugar diet twin won the mental and physical challenges.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-05/low-carb-diet-may-shorten-your-life-study-finds/5299284

When I look deeper into it I find that high fat diets aren't all they're cracked up to be. Yes the paleo diet might help you shed the excess kilos but weight loss doesn't equate to good health.

Interesting - keep us updated on progress.
Do you play sport or train with a specific goal, or is this diet purely for health reasons?

• Banned
Interesting - keep us updated on progress.
Do you play sport or train with a specific goal, or is this diet purely for health reasons?

For health reasons. I might talk a big game but I actually eat quite a bit of crap even though I avoid preservatives and artificial flavours.

I think my weight is ok but I'm starting to get a little tubby at 85kg. I want to start doing some weights to build some muscle but I don't really want to get "swol" or anything :p

I'm just getting started so it's going to take me a couple of weeks to finish off all the food in the house and figure out what I'm supposed to eat on this new diet. I have "acquired" the ebook version of this.

esselstyn5.jpg

I do want to be objective in my opinions though so I'm still going to finish reading "The Paleo Answer" when I have time.

Ask Magda Szubanski how her low fat diet went, I think she's trying it again.
Seriously, that's your example?? how about we ask 95% of the worlds best endurance athletes how their high carb diets are going? and 95% is being very conservative. The amount of triathletes that switch to vegan is significant, youtube a guy named Durianrider rode ~6,000kms in January or fruit.

• Banned
Seriously, that's your example?? how about we ask 95% of the worlds best endurance athletes how their high carb diets are going? and 95% is being very conservative. The amount of triathletes that switch to vegan is significant, youtube a guy named Durianrider rode ~6,000kms in January or fruit.

Let's see how their health is a few years post competing , suffering from malnutrition no doubt.

Check out bengreenfieldfitness.com , he'll debunk the need for high carb intake for athletes & point out the detriment to your health n recovery high carbs causes.

A lot of athletes are switching to Keto now , but you'd know this if you kept upto date with research.
Plus EPO will make up for a poor diet short term.

Forks over knives was a great documentary, which along with a few other docos, (Food Matters, Hungry for Change, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead) provided a lot of motivation for me and my wife as vegetarians. I'd be interested to revisit it having since returned to meat eating. The main difference since last time I ate meat being that i'm now more conscious minded about eating wholefoods, plenty of greens and salads and good fats as opposed to whatever tasted good when I was a fatty fat-fat, hahah.

Let's see how their health is a few years post competing , suffering from malnutrition no doubt.

Check out bengreenfieldfitness.com , he'll debunk the need for high carb intake for athletes & point out the detriment to your health n recovery high carbs causes.

A lot of athletes are switching to Keto now , but you'd know this if you kept upto date with research.
Plus EPO will make up for a poor diet short term.
Yeah, they are all now suffering from malnutrition.......
I remember listening to the Ben Greenfields interview with Durianrider where me mentioned that even he needs carbs to finish an Ironman. I also remember him mentioning that he's around a ~10hour Ironman. Not bad, only 2 hours off the pace of the high carbers.
Are you trying to suggest that in order to make up from their poor diets athletes dope? I'd hate to break it to you man, but I'm fairly confident the physiologists/dietitians and doctors dealing with especially cyclists with enormous team budgets allowing them to hire the best in the world have a good idea of what they are doing. Do you think they are not up to date with all the latest scientific data, do you think they haven't looked into things like high fat? They are getting paid HUGE amounts of money to be across absolutely everything.
But sure, If you think you know better you could just about write your own paycheck at a team like Sky.

I remember listening to the Ben Greenfields interview with Durianrider where me mentioned that even he needs carbs to finish an Ironman. I also remember him mentioning that he's around a ~10hour Ironman. Not bad, only 2 hours off the pace of the high carbers.
Are you trying to suggest that in order to make up from their poor diets athletes dope? I'd hate to break it to you man, but I'm fairly confident the physiologists/dietitians and doctors dealing with especially cyclists with enormous team budgets allowing them to hire the best in the world have a good idea of what they are doing. Do you think they are not up to date with all the latest scientific data, do you think they haven't looked into things like high fat? They are getting paid HUGE amounts of money to be across absolutely everything.
But sure, If you think you know better you could just about write your own paycheck at a team like Sky.

No I'm suggested that the diet isn't as high priority when their performance is superseded by PED's.
Natural athletes would need every diet advantage as possible.
A lot of Athletes don't eat what is put out in the media, majority of their articles are from ghost writers that work for their sponsors hence to endorse their sponsors products when ever possible.
You reckon a cyclist gets up in the morning & has 48 Wheetbix n 27 bananas then be able to ride 200k for a training session?
Due to their hectic training session they cannot physical sustain the dietary demands to replace important nutrients & energy requirements hence the dependence on iV drips n PED's.

Ben Greenfield works with scientists not dieticians.

We've been through this in another thread, but ablett is of the belief that all top-line athletes are doping. It's best to just ignore those opinions.

We've been through this in another thread, but ablett is of the belief that all top-line athletes are doping. It's best to just ignore those opinions.
Oh I'm not oblivious to doping, any sport that's largely physiology based combined with big money at stake there's plenty of doping going on.

I'm just bewildered that a guy who posts on bf actually thinks he has a better handle on performance nutrition than those getting paid millions to be at the absolute pinnacle of their field!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just bewildered that a guy who posts on bf actually thinks he has a better handle on performance nutrition than those getting paid millions to be at the absolute pinnacle of their field!
Well, you haven't been on this board for long enough then :p.

Oh I'm not oblivious to doping, any sport that's largely physiology based combined with big money at stake there's plenty of doping going on.

And how do you know I don't get paid millions?

Do you think these teams paying a fortune for the best diet practices possible to enhance performance n recovery would release their methods to the mainstream media & expose it to their competitors, of course not hence why they go with flow to cause less controversy as possible.
The public has no idea what goes on behind the scenes of professional sports organisations, they care about winning first & the Athlete second , Essendon being the perfect example.

And how do you know I don't get paid millions?

Do you think these teams paying a fortune for the best diet practices possible to enhance performance n recovery would release their methods to the mainstream media & expose it to their competitors, of course not hence why they go with flow to cause less controversy as possible.
The public has no idea what goes on behind the scenes of professional sports organisations, they care about winning first & the Athlete second , Essendon being the perfect example.
Yes, I'm sure I spotted Porte heading back to the team car to grab Froome a sachet full of mct oil disguised as glycogen while he hunger flatted on Alpe d'Huez...

No I'm suggested that the diet isn't as high priority when their performance is superseded by PED's.
I could not possibly disagree more - elite athletes in some fields receive recommendations on the brand of digital scales to use because they want their food weighed as accurately as possible. That's the level of detail that elite sport is heading towards, and to suggest diet isn't as high a priority is laughable.

I could not possibly disagree more - elite athletes in some fields receive recommendations on the brand of digital scales to use because they want their food weighed as accurately as possible. That's the level of detail that elite sport is heading towards, and to suggest diet isn't as high a priority is laughable.

Haha speaking of laughable.
Athletes have been weighing their food for decades, Lance Armstrong didn't win 7 TDF cos is food scales where more accurate than his competitors!
When they are all juiced up to the eyeball , 1-2 extra or less grams food ain't going to make any difference.
If they are eating the wrong food , accurate scales doesn't matter.
The level of detail in Elite sport is in the lab, that's why they are not overly anal about the particular food source aslong it's meets the macros, so bread/rice/pasta/oats is the same to them aslong as they get the desired amount of carbs etc...

It's pretty obvious.

Bolt is somehow clean yet almost every other record holder anywhere near him has been busted. He's clean? I believe that 0%.

Everybody at the top is on something and those right at the top are on the best s**t.

Froome is doped up to the eyeballs. Porte could have won the tour too he was that juiced.

So I've decided to give this a crack.

Some of you might know this diet from the documentary.

Forks_Over_Knives_movie_poster.png

I'm worried about damage to my endothelial cells which is the inner lining of the circulatory system. There has been some heart disease in my family and I'm starting to get on in years so I need to preserve my own health.

I've gone vegan before for short stints but I don't really like that label. I really don't care about avoiding animal products. Really I just care about avoiding junk most of the time.

So I'm going to transition into this diet slowly at first just to figure out what meals I like. Giving up meat has always been difficult for me and I always go back to it but who knows I might be able to kick the habit eventually.

I know I want to give up fish. The mercury levels are just too high and the fish concentrate pollution in their bodies. You can get Omega-3 from flaxseed and chia so I'm going to give that a go.

I know many on this forum follow the opposite school of thought with high fat, low carb diets but I don't think that's the right diet for me. I'm going to do my research and find out more but I suspect that paleo although it has some good principles isn't really that healthy.

I recently watch the short doco Sugar vs Fat.

The fat diet twin was the one that ended up prediabetic with high blood glucose and insulin resistance. The sugar diet twin was making more insulin.

The sugar diet twin won the mental and physical challenges.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-05/low-carb-diet-may-shorten-your-life-study-finds/5299284

When I look deeper into it I find that high fat diets aren't all they're cracked up to be. Yes the paleo diet might help you shed the excess kilos but weight loss doesn't equate to good health.

I suggest you watch this first.

*shrug* just thought some of her recipes might be useful.

Durianrider is a bit of a douche, he pretty much slanders everyone

I've watched many of her videos and I don't mind her but her diet plans are just too expensive for the average person. She needs to drop the kids show attitude and start being true to herself.

"I know I want to give up fish. The mercury levels are just too high and the fish concentrate pollution in their bodies. You can get Omega-3 from flaxseed and chia so I'm going to give that a go."

Their is MASSIVE difference between the omega 3 in fish and plant based oil. The omega 3 in plant oils such as ALA in flax provide only minor benefits and can't substitute for the long chain DHA and EPA in fish oil.

Wasn't 2nd place Luke McKenzie and 5th place Tim O`Donnell (both low 8s) moderate/lowish carbs and they are gluten free and both have zero HFCS and no starchy carb?

[Neither are Coeliac, but just gluten sensitive]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back