Expansion Lowest finals crowd since WW1...

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd expect the new teams to have low crowds. Whether you expect that particular number in don't know. Poor promotion by AFL on Sydney.
Poor promotion by Foxtel too. Has anyone noticed the ridiculously over-produced promos for the NRL finals on Foxtel (mind you all the advertising is Sydney-centric on Foxtel)

Dont worry Salty. Theres always next year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Not salty, just disappointed with your fans and the AFL. The atmosphere was appalling, it felt like a practise match in February. I feel sorry for the players having to play in front of an empty crowd even in a home final, draftees are truly lucky when they get drafted by a big side that pack out stadiums. If it doesnt improve within the next 15-20 years the AFL will have to step in and do something dramatic, this isnt the nrl or a-league where shocking crowd numbers are okay.

Not salty, just disappointed with your fans and the AFL. The atmosphere was appalling, it felt like a practise match in February. I feel sorry for the players having to play in front of an empty crowd even in a home final, draftees are truly lucky when they get drafted by a big side that pack out stadiums. If it doesnt improve within the next 15-20 years the AFL will have to step in and do something dramatic, this isnt the nrl or a-league where shocking crowd numbers are okay.
Poor baby.

15 to 20 you say. A generation?

I know ive heard that before i just cant remember where......

Makes you wonder if it will ever change? GWS have been a top 4 team for 2 years. The team is blessed with crowd drawing talent yet the best it can muster is an NRL sized crowd? I bet a Tasmanian team would draw a crowd > 20,000

Makes you wonder if it will ever change? GWS have been a top 4 team for 2 years. The team is blessed with crowd drawing talent yet the best it can muster is an NRL sized crowd? I bet a Tasmanian team would draw a crowd > 20,000
Given I attended a game in Hobart with 8k this year, I'm not sure how you arrive at that figure. This isn't us v Tasmania anyway. They clearly should have a team.

Luckily our club and the AFL have more patience than you, and this was always going to happen for a while.
We could try and placate the haters with a short term marketing and growth strategy. That would be stupid though, and just expose us when the inevitable happens and our window of opportunity closes.

Last edited:
Dont make it an us vs them. As it isnt.

Im for a tassie team.

6 years into a generational plan and youre pulling up stumps.

Shows you dont know much about whats going on up here.

Dont make it an us vs them. As it isnt.

Im for a tassie team.

6 years into a generational plan and youre pulling up stumps.

Shows you dont know much about whats going on up here.

You're right! I shouldn't have thrown Tasmania into the mix. It's the AFL that shits me. Establishing a 2nd AFL team, basing it in arguably the most hostile territory in Sydney.

I don't say pull up stumps....yet. But I wonder if we might see GWS gradually shift to Canberra

You're right! I shouldn't have thrown Tasmania into the mix. It's the AFL that shits me. Establishing a 2nd AFL team, basing it in arguably the most hostile territory in Sydney.

I don't say pull up stumps....yet. But I wonder if we might see GWS gradually shift to Canberra
Cant see it.

The grassroots are going great guns in their growth and in every aspect we are growing without taking away anything from the Swans.
Was always generational.

Canberra is just providing top quality footy to the converted. There os a large expatriate population from the traditional footy states. It's a part of us but it'll never be the main game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will have to wait a while because the Tassie kangaroos are a long way from finals

You do realise that the GWS v WC crowd was bigger than any crowd at Canberra.
In fact, manuka only has a capacity of 15k.

Soccer and Rugby have a strong foothold over the western suburbs, I think maybe until GWS win a flag we'll be seeing the same crowds for an extended period of time.

So why didn't Aussie rules die when it was more violent? Why is rugby still around? How is MMA, clearly the most violent sport the fastest growing sport including at the kid level? Hmm.

MMA hasn't grown in popularity for about 7 years.

I think some people are panicking a bit early - or trying to bring the club down. GWS is a long term project - 30 to 50 years to build a second AFL market in Sydney, not a short term 6 year project.

I went to the game, had to leave two young kids at home because of the cold. They had to play at 4.30, not at night. I think Gws is going ok, the gold coast is not going to succeed however. I do agree the list concentrate ssions were a little to generous to start with, I put this down to Collingwood thinking they would be the first choice of returning players.

I went to the game, had to leave two young kids at home because of the cold. They had to play at 4.30, not at night. I think Gws is going ok, the gold coast is not going to succeed however. I do agree the list concentrate ssions were a little to generous to start with, I put this down to Collingwood thinking they would be the first choice of returning players.
The whole of Victoria thought they would all leave and itd be like xmas.

Oops.

The myopia in this thread is just staggering. When the Swans first moved to Sydney they were averaging crowds of 10k. This year marked the 23rd year in a row that they were the highest drawing sporting club in Sydney. Imagine if the AFL had panicked back then and pulled the pin as some in this thread are advocating they do now to the Giants.

The Swans' attendances rose after they made the 96 GF. Those kids that got swept up in the fever are now adults and likely members themselves. Success will capture the imagination of kids, who will grow up to become paying adult supporters in 20 years time. Success will help achieve this. A lot of people keep saying 'they've had so much success on the field and they have nothing to show for it", and to that I would counter what success? Two final wins?

Would it have been nicer if the Eagles crowd was bigger? Absolutely. But it's not the end of the world, and certainly not cause to pull the plug on the entire endeavor. My biggest question mark is why the AFL chose to price tickets the way they did. In an expansion market they should have been doing everything they can to encourage people to come along, not rake in a profit.

TLDR: Calm down, take a breath and give the 20 year plan a chance to execute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back