Preview LP’s journey to get to a potential Melbourne Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Right, this is almost definitely speaking too soon and has one major slip point I absolutely see coming, but here goes.

As many of you know, I’m in Canberra. Current red zone rules mean I can’t travel to Melbourne.

However, the ACT isn’t locked out of everywhere. As of the time of writing, I can travel to Tasmania, Queensland, the NT and New Zealand.

I’m not missing a potential Dees grand final. Not for a virus.

So, I’m putting it out there.

IF:
1) the ACT is still a red zone as of early September, and;
2) there is a safe landing spot outside of Victoria where I can sit for 2 weeks, and;
3) we win a QUALIFYING final,

I will be travelling to a non-Victorian place from the Thursday of semi final weekend in order to run 2 weeks in a green zone.

But LP, isn’t there a preliminary final in there?

Yep. I don’t have a choice if I’m going to make the grand final. I can’t wait for us to win a prelim. So this could all go very ******* pear shaped.

Aren’t you being ridiculously preemptive?

Probably but I’ll be dammed if I’m missing this. Plus realistically this is right weeks’ time and I can’t guarantee the outbreak will be under control.

What if there’s a COVID outbreak in (insert place here)?

This is the next biggest risk after a prelim loss. My plan is to go as low risk as possible. So in order, that’s Tasmania, then New Zealand.

So let’s see, hey. Hopefully the restrictions lift and this can die a quiet death saving me 2 weeks accomodation, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Melbourne win Qualifier, LP quarantines in Tassie, Melbourne wins Prelim, LP arrives in Melbourne at begining of Grand Final week, COVID outbreak in Melbourne the following day, entire state classified as a red zone. Grand Final moved to Manuka Oval.

Melbourne win Qualifier, LP quarantines in Tassie, Melbourne wins Prelim, LP arrives in Melbourne at begining of Grand Final week, COVID outbreak in Melbourne the following day, entire state classified as a red zone. Grand Final moved to Manuka Oval.
Probably

Go to NZ. 2 weeks in South island is ace and it's probably the least likely to have an outbreak like you said. If you haven't done the Overland Track in Tassie, that should also be on everyone's to do list. Allow 8 days. Perfect

Self indulgence ✔️ - could have put this in your getting ahead of ourselves thread surely?
Jinx ✔️ - it's nice to know I have my scapegoat if we dont make the granny.

However, if we win it I'll consider your effort to get there the clincher. I'm very fair as everyone knows. ✔️✔️

However, if we win it I'll consider your effort to get there the clincher. I'm very fair as everyone knows. ✔✔

Petracca could learn a lot from such a clutch effort.

Petracca could learn a lot from such a clutch effort.

Or maybe he's even more unclutch than Trac and we go out in straight sets.

There is so much riding on this thread.

Gutsiest thread I’ve ever seen.
I mean I really hope it doesn’t come to this. Would much prefer Vic just declaring the ACT orange but not getting my hopes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I really hope it doesn’t come to this. Would much prefer Vic just declaring the ACT orange but not getting my hopes up.

I think it would be easier for everyone involved if we just went out in straight sets.

LP, let's pretend the scenario below was available, which are you choosing?

Guaranteed flag the footy gods say if you watch it on tv in Canberra

or

You can attend the game but the footy gods give no guarantees of the outcome.

LP, let's pretend the scenario below was available, which are you choosing?

Guaranteed flag the footy gods say if you watch it on tv in Canberra

or

You can attend the game but the footy gods give no guarantees of the outcome.
Absolutely attending the game.

So to get a bit emotional my father and I connect most about the Dees. It’s our one thing we talk about all the time. When I still lived down there I would always go with him.

Dad’s not particularly old (mid 60s) but doesn’t take care of himself that well and I worry about his work stress.

I want to be standing right next to him at the MCG when we finally pull it off.

He’s been waiting every bit of those 57 years - he was 6 when they won in ‘64 and doesn’t really remember it.

It’s absolutely a no brainer.

Absolutely attending the game.

So to get a bit emotional my father and I connect most about the Dees. It’s our one thing we talk about all the time. When I still lived down there I would always go with him.

Dad’s not particularly old (mid 60s) but doesn’t take care of himself that well and I worry about his work stress.

I want to be standing right next to him at the MCG when we finally pull it off.

He’s been waiting every bit of those 57 years - he was 6 when they won in ‘64 and doesn’t really remember it.

It’s absolutely a no brainer.

So, it really is all about you.... 😠

I dunno , maybe it's just me but I'd take the guaranteed flag.

So, it really is all about you.... 😠

I dunno , maybe it's just me but I'd take the guaranteed flag.
Football is about more than just generic support. Don’t get me wrong I loved the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl but it was odd celebrating with no one who really cared.

If I can’t celebrate the drought breaker with family it won’t be as special.

Football is about more than just generic support. Don’t get me wrong I loved the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl but it was odd celebrating with no one who really cared.

If I can’t celebrate the drought breaker with family it won’t be as special.

Oh no doubt. But in my scenario there may never be a drought breaker if you attend. Wouldnt you rather your dad see a flag without you than not one at all?

Oh no doubt. But in my scenario there may never be a drought breaker if you attend. Wouldnt you rather your dad see a flag without you than not one at all?
Good question.

“Thank god I got to share this with my dad.”

- Philadelphia Eagles fans everywhere in January 2018
One of my buddies is a mad Doggies fan and got to do 2016 with his dad. 9 months later his dad had a monster coronary and nearly died. Makes you appreciate this s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back