Delisted Lucas Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucas made his 2012 debut at the wreck of The Simmonds Stadium against the Geelong VFL side in round 7.

According to Aaron Greaves, Casey mids coach:
It was Cook’s first VFL senior game after coming back from injury. He kicked two goals and marked strongly and presented well in the second half. Lucas will get better with more game time.

STATS: 4 kicks, 6 handballs, 80% efficiency, 2 marks (both contested) 2 tackles, 1 free against, 2.0 goals.

Next up were Box Hill at Box Hill in round 8. According to Josh Mahoney:
Lucas has built up his game time over the past few weeks. He is working hard to present as an option, but missed a few marking opportunities.
Not exactly a glowing edorsement of Lucas' game.

STATS: 7 Kicks, 2 Handballs, 66% efficiency, 5 marks (all uncontested), 1 tackle, 1.0 goal.

Rounds 9 was a Casey bye and next week is a league-wide week off for reasons known only to VFL die hards and God.

After a couple of weeks off due to the incomprehensible VFL fixture, Lucas was back in action.

And by all reports it was a good week to be Mr Cook:
Lucas played a really good game, took nine marks and was rewarded with three goals, while having many scoring assists. A real positive step forward for Cooky - he will take plenty of confidence out of this performance.

STATS: 9 kicks, 2 handballs, 83% efficiency, 8 marks (3 contested), 2 tackles, 3.1 goals, either BOG or 6th best on ground depending on how you read the mystifying VFL stats website.

Luke played development league on the weekend.

Pick 12 two years ago.

Dear oh dear.

So? His first year he had to contend with Fevola and this year he's had some good games, he's a young KPP.

Hawkins was a dud for so long and he actually had the body for AFL footy, look at him now.

So? His first year he had to contend with Fevola and this year he's had some good games, he's a young KPP.

Hawkins was a dud for so long and he actually had the body for AFL footy, look at him now.
He's playing 3rds Dez, in a side that has to play two defenders up forward that is seriously poor.

According to TAC Future Stars, Lucas enjoys dabbling in the fashion industry in his life outside the MFC. #uselessfacts

Was it really a useless fact? I think it just needed a slight tweak.

Lucas enjoys dabbling in the VFL and the development league in his life outside the fashion industry

Interesting how you read these things after the fact, knowing the bloke disappeared with barely a whimper.

One of the first few posts has him quoted as being genuinely surprised to be taken in the first round, thought he'd get taken 30+. Translation with hindsight: "I don't think I'm very good, I'm surprised anyone else does". Getting stuck behind 8 odd Melbourne forwards plus Fev as well didn't do him any favours, and I imagine he pretty much must've thrown the sponge in to get delisted as quickly as he did. Kid lacking in confidence, plus the hard man Neeld, plus hopeless club with muppets like Sylvia, Moloney, etc providing 'leadership' and not even getting a regular game in the magoos would have done his head in.

Only saw him once in the NAB Cup. Led up a few times, seemed to provide a target if nothing else and didn't look great or terrible. Honestly think if he'd stuck at it, could've been just as bad as Brad Miller or Chris Dawes. Oh well. Shame we jumped in before those other couple of clubs could "pounce" on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting how you read these things after the fact, knowing the bloke disappeared with barely a whimper.

One of the first few posts has him quoted as being genuinely surprised to be taken in the first round, thought he'd get taken 30+. Translation with hindsight: "I don't think I'm very good, I'm surprised anyone else does". Getting stuck behind 8 odd Melbourne forwards plus Fev as well didn't do him any favours, and I imagine he pretty much must've thrown the sponge in to get delisted as quickly as he did. Kid lacking in confidence, plus the hard man Neeld, plus hopeless club with muppets like Sylvia, Moloney, etc providing 'leadership' and not even getting a regular game in the magoos would have done his head in.

Only saw him once in the NAB Cup. Led up a few times, seemed to provide a target if nothing else and didn't look great or terrible. Honestly think if he'd stuck at it, could've been just as bad as Brad Miller or Chris Dawes. Oh well. Shame we jumped in before those other couple of clubs could "pounce" on him.

What got me with the whole thing was that he didn't even get another look in at another club, he was delisted with one year left on his rookie contract also from memory (has to be a first in AFL circles because he's 'not up to it' especially for a 1st round pick). Something leads me to believe there was more to it than what appears behind his delisting.

What got me with the whole thing was that he didn't even get another look in at another club, he was delisted with one year left on his rookie contract also from memory (has to be a first in AFL circles because he's 'not up to it' especially for a 1st round pick). Something leads me to believe there was more to it than what appears behind his delisting.

Heard from a reliable source he had anxiety problems, think he broke down a bit with Neeld's approach.

Heard from a reliable source he had anxiety problems, think he broke down a bit with Neeld's approach.

Find that hard to believe. Neeld was a great man manager.

Yep, that makes sense. There had to be a red flag for him not to get another look in at another club.

Amazing to think BP favoured Cook over Talia because he didn't rate Talia as a KP prospect... WTF?!

Talk about being clueless.

Yep. Gysberts was the one we took ahead of Talia.

Yep. Gysberts was the one we took ahead of Talia.

You are correct, my bad. That 2009 draft wiki makes for depressing reading... but, i'm not sure which is worse.. 07', 08' or 09'. To not even be able to hit a dart board from 30 cms away is quite impressive. I guess those three years of list (mis?) management in particular need to be seriously taken into account when considering our current plight. 6 early busts (7 including Cook in 2010) and some underperforming/injury stricken NQR's. To be fair to BP with the Cook pick, he basically said that he wanted Tom Lynch who ended up at GC, but with all their priority selections we couldn't get him. The 2 expansion teams have not helped us either.

Having a core of 6-8 100-150 game players in their mid 20's from that era would make a huge difference to our current prospects. I know its almost sort of taboo to go there and its been said ad infinitum, but we missed out on so many top shelf footballers who were around the mark with our early picks its impossible to ignore. It's hurting us now.

Last edited:
You are correct, my bad. That 2009 draft wiki makes for depressing reading... but, i'm not sure which is worse.. 07', 08' or 09'. To not even be able to hit a dart board from 30 cms away is quite impressive. I guess those three years of list (mis?) management in particular need to be seriously taken into account when considering our current plight. 6 early busts (7 including Cook in 2010) and some underperforming/injury stricken NQR's. To be fair to BP with the Cook pick, he basically said that he wanted Tom Lynch who ended up at GC, but with all their priority selections we couldn't get him. The 2 expansion teams have not helped us either.

Having a core of 6-8 100-150 game players in their mid 20's from that era would make a huge difference to our current prospects. I know its almost sort of taboo to go there and its been said ad infinitum, but we missed out on so many top shelf footballers who were around the mark with our early picks its impossible to ignore. It's hurting us now.

When the guys who are 28, 29 now start retiring, it's going to sting the most. All the guys who should've been in the next group of players to carry the torch for the club are missing. The likes of Viney and Hogan will end up carrying the joint.

The 2011 draft was amazingly terrible and by far our worst. We didn't have any great picks to burn, but everyone we recruited in that period - national, pre-season or rookie, was gone within two years. I think we traded Clark in during that off-season too. Absolute disaster.

When the guys who are 28, 29 now start retiring, it's going to sting the most. All the guys who should've been in the next group of players to carry the torch for the club are missing. The likes of Viney and Hogan will end up carrying the joint.

The 2011 draft was amazingly terrible and by far our worst. We didn't have any great picks to burn, but everyone we recruited in that period - national, pre-season or rookie, was gone within two years. I think we traded Clark in during that off-season too. Absolute disaster.

Yeah pretty much. It's staggering that our 2011 draft haul was all gone in less than 2 years. Trading away our 1st pick also turned out to be something of a disaster as well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back