Current Lucy Letby - Paediatric nurse in the UK charged with the murder of 8 babies * CONVICTED

Remove this Banner Ad

This back in 2018 but I can't find anything to suggest how she murdered these babies. It seems the hospital was alerted only by a significant increase in neonatal deaths.

Police dig up back garden and search gutters at home of neonatal nurse, 28, arrested over death of eight babies after probe spreads to second hospital
  • Lucy Letby, 28, was arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies on Tuesday
  • The neonatal nurse is also suspected of attempting to kill another six
  • Her arrest is part of a probe into the deaths of 17 babies at a Chester hospital
  • Liverpool Women's Hospital said it was also working with police in the probe

Number of babies who died at the facility
Figures show the number of babies who died at the facility rose in 2015 and 2016.
2009 - 3
2010 - 1
2011 - 3
2012 - 3
2013 - 2
2014 - 3
2015 - 8
2016 - 5

Going to be interesting to see what proof and evidence the prosecutors present. I am the grandparent of a baby boy who spent the first 6 months of his life in NICU/PICU - several times on the brink and pulled through - he just turned 4 and the delight of our lives. I am also a nurse in critical care so the medical aspect is also intriguing. In my head I just wouldn’t want to think someone could do this but with other things I have seen and heard nothing surprises me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going to be interesting to see what proof and evidence the prosecutors present. I am the grandparent of a baby boy who spent the first 6 months of his life in NICU/PICU - several times on the brink and pulled through - he just turned 4 and the delight of our lives. I am also a nurse in critical care so the medical aspect is also intriguing. In my head I just wouldn’t want to think someone could do this but with other things I have seen and heard nothing surprises me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This story would hit home in more than one way for you then, I'm glad for you your little grandson pulled through and that he was in good hands.

Will be keeping an eye on this story, it seems a bit strange to me that she would continue to keep going when alarms must have started going off all over the wards and in admin. I'm also curious as to what the police were looking for in her house and digging for in her yard.

She looks like the sweet, girl next door but most of us on the crime board know how deceiving looks can be so let's see how this one pans out.

They must have something on her though because she's also been charged with the attempted murder of six other babies.

The death rate of babies at the hospital was over 10 per cent the average death rate for maternity wards.

In 2013, two babies died at the Countess of Chester Hospital however in 2015, eight babies died.

Medics launched an internal inquiry after finding the premature babies had collapsed with heart and lung failure but were unusually impossible to resuscitate.

A report later found the babies developed strange blotches on their arms and legs after death.

Experts could not find a cause of death and police were called in to investigate in 2017.

Horrific crimes! It beggars belief that anyone could do something so heinous. Is it about power, or mental health issues, or some misplaced sense of revenge? It's just so senseless.

Also, does anyone else think it odd though that they give her address in the article in the OP?
Not the first case like this and usually the reasons range from all 3 you mentioned.

An article I read today indicated that Letby was rearrested after being let off the first charges. The main issue with the deaths were blotchy patterned marks/bruising on the infants arms and
legs and that they were particularly hard to resuscitate.
You have to wonder if she started out “mercy killing” then just continued on as no one had raised and alarm.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

A British nurse has been found guilty of murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six others at the hospital where she worked, making her the country’s worst baby serial killer in recent times.

Lucy Letby, 33, harmed babies in her care by injecting air into their blood and stomachs, overfeeding them with milk, physically assaulting them and poisoning them with insulin, Manchester Crown Court in northern England heard.

It will be interesting to see how much more information comes out after this guilty verdict. Watching from afar and just listening to weekly 30 minute podcasts was not enough to get into the nitty gritty. Those poor babies and how awful for the parents - the person you should be able to trust has taken your baby’s life

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't believe the hospital CEO wasn't charged for trying to cover it up.
If a senior doctor comes to you with a suspicion of a murdering nurse you listen to him. Plus the director of nursing did nothing also.
Yes, the CEO threatening the doctors who accused her and then refusing initially to stand her down. Gob smacked. BBC has a good article about it.

Added - after reading throught he timeline again, even though the docs were trying to do the right thing and were obstructed by management, I think they failed terribly by not escalating in October 2015 by saying to the managers 'I think some one is killing babies, I'm going to inform the police if you don't'. I know looking back with retrospectoscope makes it look all so easy, but by October 5 they had 10 collapse/deaths over a very short period of time. The coppers would have handled it sensitively given the circumstances, probably with hidden cameras. I worked in a hospital wher they put hidden camera in the 'Drug Cupboard' to see who was knocking stuff off.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the CEO threatening the doctors who accused her and then refusing initially to stand her down. Gob smacked. BBC has a good article about it.

Added - after reading throught he timeline again, even though the docs were trying to do the right thing and were obstructed by management, I think they failed terribly by not escalating in October 2015 by saying to the managers 'I think some one is killing babies, I'm going to inform the police if you don't'. I know looking back with retrospectoscope makes it look all so easy, but by October 5 they had 10 collapse/deaths over a very short period of time. The coppers would have handled it sensitively given the circumstances, probably with hidden cameras. I worked in a hospital wher they put hidden camera in the 'Drug Cupboard' to see who was knocking stuff off.
I can't blame the doctors for anything myself. It's the director of nursing and the rest who were informed at fault imo.

I can't blame the doctors for anything myself. It's the director of nursing and the rest who were informed at fault imo.
There are times when docs have to stand up the managers, and they didn't on October 2015. Perhaps I'm too tough on them but I spent decades often fighting hospital managers. You just have to for the patients or your staff.

There are times when docs have to stand up the managers, and they didn't on October 2015. Perhaps I'm too tough on them but I spent decades often fighting hospital managers. You just have to for the patients or your staff.
Doctors should have more powers than management and the director of nursing in these instances imo.

Doctors should have more powers than management and the director of nursing in these instances imo.
Yes. The other problem with this and the docs, is what did happened with the death certificates? They didn't seem to know at the time the cause of the collapses and deaths, so WTF did they put on death certificates? Were none referred to the coroner? If there are a heap of unexpected and unexplained deaths then the system usually has ways to detect and respond. Coronial referral is one of those systems. There is something fishy about it. Maybe neonatal deaths are handled differently in the UK. Very odd.

Yes. The other problem with this and the docs, is what did happened with the death certificates? They didn't seem to know at the time the cause of the collapses and deaths, so WTF did they put on death certificates? Were none referred to the coroner? If there are a heap of unexpected and unexplained deaths then the system usually has ways to detect and respond. Coronial referral is one of those systems. There is something fishy about it. Maybe neonatal deaths are handled differently in the UK. Very odd.
Sounds like covering up mistakes is normal in some of these places .

Sounds like covering up mistakes is normal in some of these places .
Maybe, I've read a few more reports about it and have seen nothing about reporting the deaths to the corner. Odd. There are different process for <28 day old infants than for older kiddies. I do not understand how the Docs could issue death certificates in settings where they didn't know the cause of death. Then this extraordinary run of deaths commences and none of the doctors have the wit to refer to the coroner. Something stinks.

Maybe, I've read a few more reports about it and have seen nothing about reporting the deaths to the corner. Odd. There are different process for <28 day old infants than for older kiddies. I do not understand how the Docs could issue death certificates in settings where they didn't know the cause of death. Then this extraordinary run of deaths commences and none of the doctors have the wit to refer to the corner. Something stinks.
Yep, the first cause of death was 'inconclusive'. I blame the management who were more concerned with the hospital's reputation.
They should be charged with orchestrating a cover up so this doesn't happen again.

Yep, the first cause of death was 'inconclusive'. I blame the management who were more concerned with the hospital's reputation.
They should be charged with orchestrating a cover up so this doesn't happen again.
Yes, but coronial referral would bypass the admin. Problem solved. The doctors are obliged to refer unexplained deaths, they did not, they failed. It would have provided an easy path, which was also the correct one. Something doesn't add up.

Yes, but coronial referral would bypass the admin. Problem solved. The doctors are obliged to refer unexplained deaths, they did not, they failed. It would have provided an easy path, which was also the correct one. Something doesn't add up.
The doctors were gaslighted , eg being made to write a letter of apology.
A person with a medical background should be the manager, not these highly paid careerists

The doctors were gaslighted , eg being made to write a letter of apology.
A person with a medical background should be the manager, not these highly paid careerists
Certainly. It should never have got that far, again I come back to the lack of coronial referral. The lead pediatrician says himself the deaths were unexplained, in that case should they not have referred the case to the coroner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back