Roast Luke Ball Turnovers

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe a Bit over the Top with the Worse then O'Bree Comment but still not to say when he Kicks the Long Ball with NO penetration it makes it way to easy for the Opponent to get the Ball

Yes but we knew that before we drafted him

Clangers
didak 1
toovey 1
b.johnson 3
reid 2
maccaffer 1
wood 3
dawes 3
thomas 2
swan 1
jolly 0
beams 1
shaw 1
o'brien 1
anthony 1
ball 6
maxwell 2
pendlebury 0
o'bree 3
wellingham 2
presti 0
sidebottom 1
cloke 2

It's everyone that has to step up and fix their clangers but yes Ball was by far causing more problems for us but so valuable at the same time.

Clangers
didak 1
toovey 1
b.johnson 3
reid 2
maccaffer 1
wood 3
dawes 3
thomas 2
swan 1
jolly 0
beams 1
shaw 1
o'brien 1
anthony 1
ball 6
maxwell 2
pendlebury 0
o'bree 3
wellingham 2
presti 0
sidebottom 1
cloke 2

It's everyone that has to step up and fix their clangers but yes Ball was by far causing more problems for us but so valuable at the same time.

That is a Bad Stat for Ball but as you say he is a Very Important Role in the Side.

He is a Player that should never get the Ball in Space

Then why do the Team let him do that in the last 2 weeks quite a Few Times when we already knew this fact?

Because, and you clearly didn't notice our team has played dreadfully

Because, and you clearly didn't notice our team has played dreadfully

Well Derr we played S**thouse Footy. So you are saying when our Structures fell down players had no idea what to do?

Clangers
didak 1
toovey 1
b.johnson 3
reid 2
maccaffer 1
wood 3
dawes 3
thomas 2
swan 1
jolly 0
beams 1
shaw 1
o'brien 1
anthony 1
ball 6
maxwell 2
pendlebury 0
o'bree 3
wellingham 2
presti 0
sidebottom 1
cloke 2

2 of Ball's clangers are FA and I can really only remember him having one glaring turnover. He wasn't great by any stretch, but he was one of very few diving in to retrieve the contested ball. People who try to judge Ball based off stats sheets are going to find their opinions are well off the mark.

But far out, we knew this before we got him, why the need for s**t threads about it? His strengths far, far outweigh his negatives.

It's like roasting Presti for not providing enough rebound from defence. They have their weaknesses, everyone does, but if that's all you focus on, you are going to be severely disappointed.

You need to keep all this s**t in your blog though Dave, people don't want to hear your consistent whinging and player bashing after we lose. It's bloody ridiculous. There's nothing in this thread that makes it worthy of a new thread, why can't you just post your opinion in a review thread like everyone else instead of constantly trying to draw attention to yourself?

You need to keep all this s**t in your blog though Dave, people don't want to hear your consistent whinging and player bashing after we lose. It's bloody ridiculous. There's nothing in this thread that makes it worthy of a new thread, why can't you just post your opinion in a review thread like everyone else instead of constantly trying to draw attention to yourself?

Well I thought it was and I am not the only one who started Posts after a Loss that could probably been in 1 Thread named Post Match Thread like on Nicks

2 of Ball's clangers are FA and I can really only remember him having one glaring turnover. He wasn't great by any stretch, but he was one of very few diving in to retrieve the contested ball. People who try to judge Ball based off stats sheets are going to find their opinions are well off the mark.

But far out, we knew this before we got him, why the need for s**t threads about it? His strengths far, far outweigh his negatives.

It's like roasting Presti for not providing enough rebound from defence. They have their weaknesses, everyone does, but if that's all you focus on, you are going to be severely disappointed.

Yeah, i pretty much agree. Most of Ball's turnovers would likely be from in an under centre clearances which his handballs would just go astray not much he can do, but he does tend to miskick going up the middle but lacks cos of lack of penetration sadly he cant improve much of it cos of his age. so yeah i'm not looking into the stats of the clangers much just trying to point out he isn't the only one that makes a mistake, nobody's perfect.

Yeah, i pretty much agree. Most of Ball's turnovers would likely be from in an under centre clearances which his handballs would just go astray not much he can do, but he does tend to miskick going up the middle but lacks cos of lack of penetration sadly he cant improve much of it cos of his age. so yeah i'm not looking into the stats of the clangers much just trying to point out he isn't the only one that makes a mistake, nobody's perfect.

Yeah it wasn't aimed at you mate, just at anyone who has placed these unachievable expectations on Ball. We knew what we were getting, and so far he has pretty easily exceeded my expectations.

I'd say he'd be close to, if not, in our top 5 in the B&F and he has brought a hardened edge to our midfield. Ball's influence won't be exclusive to a stats sheet, a large part of his benefit to the team can be seen in the increased performance of blokes who he is freeing up and allowing to be on the end of his good work, e.g. Sidebottom and Beams improvement, the moving on of O'Bree etc.

People need to be realistic about what we got, there was a reason he got through to pick 30, he isn't the exact same player that was drafted with pick 2, but a good part of him still is.

Yeah it wasn't aimed at you mate, just at anyone who has placed these unachievable expectations on Ball. We knew what we were getting, and so far he has pretty easily exceeded my expectations.

I'd say he'd be close to, if not, in our top 5 in the B&F and he has brought a hardened edge to our midfield. Ball's influence won't be exclusive to a stats sheet, a large part of his benefit to the team can be seen in the increased performance of blokes who he is freeing up and allowing to be on the end of his good work, e.g. Sidebottom and Beams improvement, the moving on of O'Bree etc.

People need to be realistic about what we got, there was a reason he got through to pick 30, he isn't the exact same player that was drafted with pick 2, but a good part of him still is.
Yeah he has exceeded my expectations also, it shows the difference compared to last year just how much we were lacking.

Always has to his body on the line for us as he did with st.kilda, how many blood noses has he already got this year!? goes harder for the ball than anyone.

I'd be focusing on players like Jolly, Has been a top 3 ruckmen for a long time and this year is struggling. If we can get him in form and winning tap outs all day nobody can stop our clearances as we have good runners waiting for the ball and kicking it long.

Ball is doing his job. Jolly needs to step up now. especially against his old club in a few weeks.

My only criticism of Ball is that he struggles with his kicking in open play due to lack of penetration, but as Invig said we knew that when we got him.

His courage and pill winning ability at the bottom of packs is sensational though and i believe he has improved us immensely. He has exceeded my expectations of him and he has been in our best half a dozen players so far this season.

What I don't understand is why don't footballers with bad disposal by foot try and improve on it....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it is true TD makes ridiculous thread after ridiculous thread, it doesn't mean they are always wrong.

And just because Ball goes in hard, was a prized recruit, and was always known to be a poor kick, doesn't mean criticism isn't warranted.

Some of his turn overs the last two weeks have crucified us, and it was more about his decision making than skills. Anyone can make a good decision, especially from a free kick or mark.

He needs to improve it, and can. He is entitled to have a bad game, but he isn't immune to criticism.

I personally hate DE% it's just too much of an inconsistant stat and gives way too much benift of the doubt to the user of the ball and doesn't take into account the amount of pressure or lack there of on the player using the ball.

A very good point. I'm not going to polish a **** and say he made no mistakes, but the value he adds around the packs is sensational.

I'm really pleased with his effort this year.

His kicking is average but I think his hands and awareness are good and if we can have him dishing out to Pendles or Didak, that is just gold-dust.

Last Night I think he hit only 1 target and missed the rest or made the wrong Descion. Except for the Blues game he has been a worry with his Disposal espically by Foot and Descion Making in Space. He is not better then O'Bree in this Area and it hurts us when we are playing Zone if he Turnsover the Ball
Why don't you open up both eyes? In the last two weeks, Luke Ball has had 54 possession at 72% and 65% efficiency which is quite good. Last week he also led the AFL with 9 clearances, and he had another 6 clearances against Brisbane, and he certainly hit a lot more than one target, so it seems you've just made that up.

He has also had 6 and 7 clangers respectively in that time, but I think that is mainly due to a lack of support from the rest of the midfield against two desperate teams. He needs a bit more space and he should be getting that, but he has not been because too many Collingwood players have been playing in front of the ball in anticipation of receiving it from a teammate instead if helping each other to win the contested possessions.

It seems to me that you're quite quick to bag players too much without looking at all angles and possible reasons, and that your criticisms are not objective or constructive at all.

You wanted Ball as your in and under player and he's one of the best. If he had good kicking skills to go with it you wouldn't have got him in the first place as he'd still be a saint.

You wanted Ball as your in and under player and he's one of the best. If he had good kicking skills to go with it you wouldn't have got him in the first place as he'd still be a saint.

Very True Mate. If he was a Good Kick he probably be 1 of the Best players at the Saints and a Top 20 Player in the Comp

But Ross Lyon still wanted him to be a Saint and he would still be in St.Kilda's best team now though, so I don't agree with that because Ball still may have wanted to leave, and St.Kilda still may have stuffed-up the deal.

His disposal efficiency in the past two weeks has been good, and he certainly has hit more than one target despite what the OP incorrectly states, and I believe that any turnovers lately has been due as much to a lack of support from teammates as anything else. Ball has not had as much space and time as he should have had in the past fortnight, and that is how all teams force turnovers.

But Ross Lyon still wanted him to be a Saint and he would still be in St.Kilda's best team now though, so I don't agree with that because Ball still may have wanted to leave, and St.Kilda still may have stuffed-up the deal.

He meant it saying that Ball wouldn't even need to think about leaving because Ball would be in the seniors week in week out, the only thing from stopping him was his kicking skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back