Toast Luke Beveridge (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Drink)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendan Bolton at Carlton 23.2%
At Hawthorn 5 from 5, 100%
Overall, about 29%
Yep, they may give him some latitude since the list shape isn't his fault but I doubt he'll be there in 10 years time. And if he is, it'll be because he's turned it around with some highly productive seasons, so he'll be much closer to 50%.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep, they may give him some latitude since the list shape isn't his fault but I doubt he'll be there in 10 years time. And if he is, it'll be because he's turned it around with some highly productive seasons, so he'll be much closer to 50%.
Tough to get to 50 from 23. Need about 5 consecutive 15 win seasons.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think St Kilda knew they were in for a rebuild when they got him so he would have been given a few years to get it right. His time may be running out now though.

The big difference in the 50s, 60s and 70s is that they didn't talk about rebuilds because there was no draft.

Regardless, for a coach to make the finals only once over 15 years and still retain his job (apart from 67-68) was pretty unusual.
Perhaps when they initially got him but finals were the sole aim in 2016. Things have gone sour.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is just something about Bevo. I think he knew he won a flag early with the list he had and now understands that it needs to be Re-assembled and he is now building the list and team that he wants. Might take a little longer to climb back up that ladder but I think we are seeing many glimpses of what’s to come.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see some parallels with what Clarko has done at Hawthorn. Strip back and build again.
Big difference is we lack experience and the experience we do have got injured.
Hawks still had Smith, Gunston, Burgoyne, Roughy, Breust etc. playing most weeks.

There were clearly changes made at halftime - Trengove back into the ruck, Gowers to the backline, Dickson as the deepest forward, and our F50 entries were completely different as well. The (forced) changes in the second quarter didn't work, the changes at half time did. Bevo has to take some credit here after the barbs he's attracted in previous games.

There were clearly changes made at halftime - Trengove back into the ruck, Gowers to the backline, Dickson as the deepest forward, and our F50 entries were completely different as well. The (forced) changes in the second quarter didn't work, the changes at half time did. Bevo has to take some credit here after the barbs he's attracted in previous games.
Was about to post something similar. Nailed it yesterday. And last week too.

Now here's a question we probably can't answer definitively but if we are fair and open-minded we should at least be asking ... how much of the credit for yesterday should we give to the assistant coaches? They usually only get a mention when we are unhappy.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Compare that to Scott's coaching effort. Chalk and cheese.

Compare that to Scott's coaching effort. Chalk and cheese.
Scott made one change, Ziebull into the midfield (swapped at stages with Higgins).

Didn't help. He's tough but slow.

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Now here's a question we probably can't answer definitively but if we are fair and open-minded we should at least be asking ... how much of the credit for yesterday should we give to the assistant coaches? They usually only get a mention when we are unhappy.
Same amount of credit people will give Garry Lyon, i guess hehe. He stated some of those very things before they took place after half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He also copped a lot of criticism earlier in the year for dropping Wallis but at the time he said that Wallis needed to hit the scoreboard more and since he has been back he has done just that.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Come on DW, 101 more possessions = 7 point margin, the good clubs quite simply do not allow that sort of a statistical
anomaly without taking action or playing through a mismatch. Daw went into the ruck and bam they scored twice then
whoosh straight back to Goldie.

Usually people use alcohol to mask worrying poor analogy.;):fire:

Come on DW, 101 more possessions = 7 point margin, the good clubs quite simply do not allow that sort of a statistical
anomaly without taking action or playing through a mismatch. Daw went into the ruck and bam they scored twice then

We have a forwardline that can barely buy alcohol legally which has a fair bit to do with it.
In the first half we really looked like a team that hasn't played much football together. It's no comfort for this year, but I really think time is the most important ingredient for us.

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think a lot of that can be explained in the fact we are learning playing such a young inexperienced side who make many mistakes which means the opposition kick easy goals plus we are a hand balling team so get a lot of possession.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have a forwardline that can barely buy alcohol legally which has a fair bit to do with it.
In the first half we really looked like a team that hasn't played much football together. It's no comfort for this year, but I really think time is the most important ingredient for us.
There is definitely an around the cape mentality as you say correctly because of age, but there is also a similar feel to most of
our games Wright, Daw and Tarrant take another intercept mark or Carlisle the week before corrected as much by Cordy
getting hurt this week and having to change. Our third quarters have been immense the last two weeks, but both wins have
been corrections which concerns me long term.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Yep, definitely one of the best games Bevo has coached since the Grand Final. If not the best since then.

Trengove, Bont and Dunkley in the guts winning clearances got it rolling for us. Gowers was handy down back, Higgins had bugger all influence and Cunnington was forced to do it all himself but had not much support. Daniel, Hunter, Macrae and McLean all started using it better which was a massive difference to their first half where they were butchering it, felt Hunters last quarter playing keepings off and running down the clock was one of the only times he's used his brain properly this year. Dickson, Greene and Schache all provided leading targets with varying success, JJ gave us damaging run and carry and along with Bont really opened it up for us.

Was a magnificent third quarter that and the last quarter everyone was tiring but knew the job wasn't over yet, we scrapped, retained the ball best we could and ran the clock down. If only we kicked straight we wouldn't have given them a sniff, but it was a much more composed finale compared to our loss to them last time and the Geelong game where we needed Taylor to miss to win the match.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
There is definitely an around the cape mentality as you say correctly because of age, but there is also a similar feel to most of
our games Wright, Daw and Tarrant take another intercept mark or Carlisle the week before corrected as much by Cordy
getting hurt this week and having to change. Our third quarters have been immense the last two weeks, but both wins have
been corrections which concerns me long term.
We won a lot of games in 2015 where we started really poorly, but had big second, third or last quarter's to get the job done

I'm happy Bevo has found some touch the last two weeks to correct some things ingame because he surely wasn't doing them when we were getting blown out of the water in the second half against the likes of Collingwood, Hawthorn and Melbourne.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scott made one change, Ziebull into the midfield (swapped at stages with Higgins).

Didn't help. He's tough but slow.

Gee Brad Scott is a negative coach !
Week in week out plays numbers behind the ball. Most times had 16 numbers inside our forward fifty for stoppage.

He is everything wrong about the current games coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back