Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted two weeks ago.

I know things look so much different to start the season, and I'd be surprised if we turned things around, but since 2010, there have been 63 occasions of teams starting 0-2 and only eight times has a team made finals after being winless in the opening two rounds. We make up 25% of those eight occasions, having made finals in 2020 and 2022 after starting 0-2.

Again, I'm not expecting a turnaround, but it would be so Bevo to prove everyone wrong. He has a history of doing this. I know this season looks different (many things don't look right), but in 2020 things looked very bleak also when we lost to Collingwood and St Kilda in the opening two rounds convincingly.

Let's just see what happens. Thursday night is our last chance and I feel we will be desperate to make a statement. Bevo has never started a season 0-3 so let's see what happens. All it will take for us to get our season back on track is winning our next two matches against premiership contenders. Do that and the mood around here will change and our season will hopefully generate some momentum from there.

So has the mood around here changed?

Posted two weeks ago.

Not really. Still think Bevo is past his prime with us and should look to move on at the end of the season. Everyone has a use-by date in a job. Bevo's was up after 5 or 6 years. Same as nearly everyone in a leadership/management role.

Posted two weeks ago.

Positive results, intensity and fight have improved immensely on first two weeks, so not as flat as after the Saints game. But the two biggest issues that took the wind out of our sales last year and reared their head in the EF are still present. Still see us as a flawed 7-10 side which is disappointing, after filling two of the most glaring holes in our best 18.

Positive results, intensity and fight have improved immensely on first two weeks, so not as flat as after the Saints game. But the two biggest issues that took the wind out of our sales last year and reared their head in the EF are still present. Still see us as a flawed 7-10 side which is disappointing, after filling two of the most glaring holes in our best 18.
Yep, I also see us as a 7-10 side.

Peter Rhode could coach this team to the finals, geez I think I could.

English would be currently the All Australian ruckman, Bont would be All Australian, Bailey Dale and Ed Richards would be close. Liam Jones would be a key defender in every team, not All Australian but next level. Macrae, Treloar and LIBBA would be just outside All Australian but I would argue LIBBA would be. Naughton could be ALL Australian if he could kick straight. JUH fitness has improved and he is a better tham average third tall. I think he can be like Curnow and Cameron but is a cou-le of years off that level.

in last nights team we have Bevo mates Robbie, Mitch and Anthony. Anthony is the only one who deserves his place. i watch Robbie close last night, he does not chase, he only gives 1 effort if that. Lipinski runs way harder. I have no idea how he gets a game. MCLean will come back for him and Weightman for Hannan. Then )I would rotate West, Garcia and Jones.

We should not be happy with 2 tight wins, we should be top 4 and anything else is a fail.

Nothing has changed. Bevos biggest attribute is getting the team to be 'up' when backs against the wall.

When we don't have that additional motivation our flawed game plan is exposed. Even when we do have the motivation we often fail to take full advantage of our dominance on the day.

We've seen this for years, time to move on.

Happy with the spirit and fight, but this is a great list there’s no doubt about it - and our gameplan, coaching & selection is seriously lacking. He’s still out for mine. Would love to see what a new coach could do with this list

Posted two weeks ago.

Not much. A few of us said two weeks ago that the verdict comes in about 20 weeks. Make top 4 and I'll happily reassess. Squeak into the finals and only survive for one week = nothing much has changed.

Another indicator will be how St Kilda go against the likes of Collingwood and Melbourne. Most of us had written St Kilda off for 2023 and to lose to them when they had about half a dozen regulars out seemed to be a marker of a side that had lost its way. However the Saints form has held and they appear finals bound. If they are actually a top 4 side then there's not quite so much pain in losing to them.

Nonetheless the manner of losing those first two games and the margins (both 50+) were - and still are - unacceptable. The inability to halt a run of 6-7 goals in less than a quarter still exists. Apart from that we have lost a s**t load of percentage so unless we can beat up on some lower teams we are going to need to win an extra game to finish ahead of those around us - we won't be able to do it on percentage. I love the wins but I'm not going to forget those first two games in a hurry.

Happy with the spirit and fight, but this is a great list there’s no doubt about it - and our gameplan, coaching & selection is seriously lacking. He’s still out for mine. Would love to see what a new coach could do with this list
The only way he's going to be out is if we lose every game for the remainder of the season. Not happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back