Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel the heat is on Bevo from a lot areas supporters, media and the general football public. Even Bevo's biggest critics need to acknowledge how he pulled the team together and won a flag in 2016 after the place was falling apart at the end 2014 was a fantastic achievement.

Bevo now needs a flag to elevate himself from good coach to a great coach. I feel he needs some self evaluation and some change he is capable of this but must accept advice. Some new assistants and new happy positive persona (Craig Macrae style) I think is the way to go. The sour coach taking on the media all the time is not working.

Bevo just get us a flag in 2023 and then you can have the last laugh.

We have embarrassing assistants at the moment as we were left unprepared for the ones leaving which was terrible from the front office to not have them locked away.
This is on Grant and Bains. How can you not have your assistants either a) locked away or b) a strong contingency if they havent signed.

Ive been in the bev is the problem camp a bit this year but he has been dealt a poor hand by management.

Our assistants had been far too stagnant anyway we were due a shakeup. Unfortunately it all happened so late we were screwed. If we dont make some moves to rectify that this offseason after having all year to work on it then things are worse than I thought

There was a segment on the dogs the other night on footy classified. They seem to think we play a certain game style that “protects our back 6”. Reckon this is legit?

There was a segment on the dogs the other night on footy classified. They seem to think we play a certain game style that “protects our back 6”. Reckon this is legit?
Read posts by Mahama
They've posted in several threads (autopsy and elsewhere) about this very pount, and the coach alluded to it post-match.
Legit and concerning - forcing mids and forwards to play on f50 flanks to protect our defence from rebound footy.

Quite possibly, but list changes over the past two years:

Draftees: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (1), Dominic Bedendo (55), Lachlan McNeil (11 – rookie)

Who has left: Tory Dickson (retired), Billy Gowers (delisted), Fergus Greene (delisted), Sam Lloyd (retired), Brad Lynch (delisted), Callum Porter (delisted), Matt Suckling (delisted), Jackson Trengove (delisted), Lachie Young (North Melbourne, trade)

Who has arrived: Mitch Hannan (Melbourne, trade), Stefan Martin (Brisbane Lions, trade), Adam Treloar (Collingwood, trade)

Who left: Ben Cavarra (delisted), Will Hayes (delisted), Lin Jong (retired), Patrick Lipinski (trade, Collingwood), Sam Lloyd (retired), Easton Wood (retired), Lewis Young (trade, Carlton)

Who arrived: Tim O’Brien (free agent, Hawthorn), Sam Darcy (national draft pick 2), Arthur Jones (national draft pick 43), Luke Cleary (national draft pick 61), Charlie Parker (rookie draft pick 15), Robbie McComb (rookie draft pick 22), Cody Raak (category B rookie)

So weve shipped off Trengrove, Young & Wood retired - and the best we can do in 2 years is O’Brien?

If it’s an obvious issue which it has been for god knows how long, go out and fix it ffs

Draftees: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (1), Dominic Bedendo (55), Lachlan McNeil (11 – rookie)

Who has left: Tory Dickson (retired), Billy Gowers (delisted), Fergus Greene (delisted), Sam Lloyd (retired), Brad Lynch (delisted), Callum Porter (delisted), Matt Suckling (delisted), Jackson Trengove (delisted), Lachie Young (North Melbourne, trade)

Who has arrived: Mitch Hannan (Melbourne, trade), Stefan Martin (Brisbane Lions, trade), Adam Treloar (Collingwood, trade)

Who left: Ben Cavarra (delisted), Will Hayes (delisted), Lin Jong (retired), Patrick Lipinski (trade, Collingwood), Sam Lloyd (retired), Easton Wood (retired), Lewis Young (trade, Carlton)

Who arrived: Tim O’Brien (free agent, Hawthorn), Sam Darcy (national draft pick 2), Arthur Jones (national draft pick 43), Luke Cleary (national draft pick 61), Charlie Parker (rookie draft pick 15), Robbie McComb (rookie draft pick 22), Cody Raak (category B rookie)

So weve shipped off Trengrove, Young & Wood retired - and the best we can do in 2 years is O’Brien?

If it’s an obvious issue which it has been for god knows how long, go out and fix it ffs

The lack of defenders we've bought in / developed ourselves is concerning. Young leaving really did not help us, but I don't blame him because we played him in every position but the one he was good at.

The elephant in the room is that very few if any good players nominate us. We’re not seen as a destination club, in spite of being in a window. It worries me that if Dunkley leaves it might be seen to confirm the view that we aren’t worth considering and our top players are looking elsewhere for better exposure/environment.

we have a very unorthodox approach to defending. everyone pushes up, that reliance on pressure further up the ground so our backs can play in front of their forwards. It's why we're always caught out the back. Very frustrating to watch, even when things are going well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we have a very unorthodox approach to defending. everyone pushes up, that reliance on pressure further up the ground so our backs can play in front of their forwards. It's why we're always caught out the back. Very frustrating to watch, even when things are going well.

Probably also explains why it’s so hard for us to score and so easy for everyone else.

Probably also explains why it’s so hard for us to score and so easy for everyone else.
''Only Luke Beveridge can come up with a game style that leaves us outnumbered in both the back 50 and forward 50 at the same time'' - someone on here

It was said earlier in the season and after watching us play all season long, still rings true.

If Yze doesn’t get the essendon job, my god we should be all over him. Could almost be a good handover situation.

Hmmm, I don't think Yze is the answer. I've met him before. He didn't strike me as a senior coach.

Maybe a great assistant is all he will be hence why he doesn't have a senior position.

The elephant in the room is that very few if any good players nominate us. We’re not seen as a destination club, in spite of being in a window. It worries me that if Dunkley leaves it might be seen to confirm the view that we aren’t worth considering and our top players are looking elsewhere for better exposure/environment.

Lobb is Fremantle’s leading goal kicker this year and Jones finished 5th and 8th in Carlton’s last two B&Fs. Both good players. As were Bruce, Keath and Treloar.

If you mean superstars, then we’re not much different to 2/3 of the league.

Our zone defence means that if the ball comes back quickly & our backs have pushed up the ground there’s a helluva big zone to defend.

Some players , like Cordy, just don’t have the concentration or discipline to play that way. I reckon Cordy wouldn’t look so lost if we played tighter.

not when it mattered against top opposition. We flogged NTH and WC for a combined total of 300 out our total 2000 pts, but scored 3 goals in 3/4s of footy in a final. pretenders
Yeah this. Aside from Collingwood & Melbourne games which were clear outliers, we scraped into high 60s low 70s against the rest of the top 8.

Our forward line efficiency is terrible against good sides - we just beat up on crap sides because we dominate them in the midfield and produce an overwhelming amount of supply. Match us in the midfield & we lose it’s that simple.

not when it mattered against top opposition. We flogged NTH and WC for a combined 300 out our total 2000 pts, but scored 3 goals in 3/4s of footy in a final. pretenders
Everyone else got to play them too. Also our draw was the hardest in the league I've seen stated, so we had less opportunities to rack up scores against poor sides than some others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back