Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

why no game review thread, this happened a lot last year? can we designate a person to set it up each week?

Yes, the coach seems clueless at present but I think we have all swallowed the hype that we have a great list and last night proved it. In supposedly our best 23 players in this team (minus Weightman), our bottom 6 are ordinary footballers. They're defined as ordinary due to a drop off in form, lack of pace, a lack of skill, a lack of smarts or combinations of all of these. You know who they are.

Yes, the coach seems clueless at present but I think we have all swallowed the hype that we have a great list and last night proved it. In supposedly our best 23 players in this team (minus Weightman), our bottom 6 are ordinary footballers. They're defined as ordinary due to a drop off in form, lack of pace, a lack of skill, a lack of smarts or combinations of all of these. You know who they are.
I'd rephrase that as:
Is our coach in our bottom 6 on game day?

I actually do think our list is pretty good. 1 too many talls last night and the likes of Hannan and JJ shouldn't have been selected for different reasons. But if we instead went for Garcia and maybe West/Bedendo/McNeil I feel our 22 is right up there. Trouble is they can only play how they are coached.

Weightman, Jones and Laith would be in that mix when fit too (JJ when up and running?).

He does. Unfortunately the idiot brains trust at our club thought it a good thing to extend him without seeing some ******* evidence it’d be a good idea.

He’s a great coach. But we’re done here. Now for three years of purgatory.
Great coach is a stretch, his record is ******* horrible lol

Weak, safe decision to re-sign him.

Management & the board should have had the balls to let the heat come and prove it’s the right decision.

Nothing wrong with the coaching staff having pressure on coming into a new season.

Extension after a s**t year - what type of message does that send?

Stuck with it now.

No way this club has it in them to do a backflip this year after doing the extension.

He'll be here at least another 2 years I reckon where we'll float between 7th & 12th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three things must happen.
1. Replace Grant with the best available person as our head of footy.
2. Do whatever it takes to get Adem Yze in as senior assistant (with an expectation he will become senior coach as soon as Beveridge's time is up).
3. Complete overhaul of roles, personnel, and responsibilities within the footy department.

Whether our list is overrated/underrated or somewhere in between it should categorically be better than the bullshit we dished up on the weekend.

I don’t think pound for pound our bottom 6 is that much worse than other teams, every side has individuals you’d consider s**t forming part of their side but for whatever reason they’re a functional cog of the side they’re in.

At the moment this team is just full of individuals and there is such a lack of cohesion or anything resembling a quality football side working towards the same target, from back to front.

We’re not categorically slower or have worse skills than other sides, we’ve seen it time and time again even with our team when we beat up on s**t campaigners which we love to do - when a side is playing good football they look like millionaires, everyone is quick as * and miraculously manages to beat their opponent from contest to contest. Every s**t campaigner in your bottom 6 can’t miss a target as they have good options to kick too. And on the other side when things are going bad we know how that looks….

The list is good, possibly great. But there is no cohesion in the way they’re playing, there’s a clear breakdown in connection on just about every line on the field. There’s zero effort to go above and beyond, literally just going through the motions for the most part, and worst of all - whilst I don’t think this team is full of soft campaigners, actually I know we’re not because a large core of the side has been brilliant in the past with our backs against the wall and we know how that used to motivate us, but right now we’re playing like a bunch of campaigners who genuinely couldn’t give a *.

They couldn’t give a * if they get pushed off the ball, they couldn’t give a * if they miss an easy target, they couldn’t give a * if they don’t bust their gut enough to get back and help their teammates. There’s a clear issue mentally with a large portion of the team right now and I really thought it would be different this year but it’s clearly not.

What’s the solution? If that wasn’t a performance from a good/great coach that has lost the players then I dunno what is. I really don’t see that turning around, has a coach ever turned around a squad that is as mentally shot as we are right now? Whether it’s fair on the head coach or not usually that requires a change of coach to ‘reset’

Look at the pies, that wasn’t a list change it was a coach and mindset change. Was it bucks fault that they were underperforming? Probably not entirely, does it matter? No

Recruiters recruit from state leagues and junior ranks. If a player comes from another club, that is on the senior coach. Our senior coach has got way too many spuds from other clubs. He also drove out our senior recruiter, you know the guy that put together our premiership list. This is totally on the club board who have allowed this to all take place.
So true about the spuds

Recruiters recruit from state leagues and junior ranks. If a player comes from another club, that is on the senior coach. Our senior coach has got way too many spuds from other clubs. He also drove out our senior recruiter, you know the guy that put together our premiership list. This is totally on the club board who have allowed this to all take place.

Look at players we have moved or lost to other clubs since 2016 for whatever reason.

Then look at what players we have brought in from other clubs.

Won’t make the 8

Cant keep bringing in s**t from other clubs and thinking it’s going to work Lobb Hannan Baker Bruce OBrien remember we have the 2nd oldest list
Saw a post on twitter regarding the recruitment we've done under Bevo. Hasn't been great.

Gowers, Suckling, Trengrove, Schache, Lloyd (was decent but retires out of nowhere). All gone.

Obrian, Hannan, Duryea, crozier (haven't been great)

Trealor and Keith I guess have been good when healthy.

Saw a post on twitter regarding the recruitment we've done under Bevo. Hasn't been great.

Gowers, Suckling, Trengrove, Schache, Lloyd (was decent but retires out of nowhere). All gone.

Bruce?!
Also Crozier was good until last year, and Duryea was/is our best small close checking defender.

I reckon Duryea has been great and Crozier has been decent when given a chance. But I get your point.

Players we have moved on since 2016 that are still on a list that come to mind

Dunkley, Hunter, Cordy, Stringer, Le Young, La Young, Adams, Schache, Greene, Lipinski

Some in the past Roughead, Dalhaus,

I am sure I have missed some

Last edited:

Suckling was good and cost us nothing, what's wrong with that? Also he retired at 32, which isn't exactly early.

O'Brien was a free agent. Yeah he's been crap, but it didn't compromise our draft hand at all and he's probably paid * all.

Duryea has been outstanding. It's because of him that we made the 2021 GF in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back