Player Watch Luke Brown - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown put the club first. And was probably realistic about his capacity to contribute. No way either of those things are occurring with Sloane. 33 start of next season coming off a knee reco.

Sloane might do a Lenny Hayes though. Happy for him to have a crack as long as he's resigned the captaincy so there's no undue pressure on the coaches at selection should he struggle upon return. But if he hasn't done it yet, then he's probably not doing it at all. I don't really have any faith in our high profile senior players to put team first. Even Tex used the media to apply pressure re his contract this year and he's a lot more team first orientated than Sloane. Still, time will tell.

Sloane might do a Lenny Hayes though. Happy for him to have a crack as long as he's resigned the captaincy so there's no undue pressure on the coaches at selection should he struggle upon return. But if he hasn't done it yet, then he's probably not doing it at all. I don't really have any faith in our high profile senior players to put team first. Even Tex used the media to apply pressure re his contract this year and he's a lot more team first orientated than Sloane. Still, time will tell.

I doubt he would give up the captaincy willingly, he probably thinks he is the solution. Will probably have a tantrum if the selection committee don't give him a golden ticket.

As much as I liked Sloane, at the time I think we should have traded him. I said it then. He was heart and soul player but he wanted to go and we would have got a mega deal or at least a 1st round compo pick. 2018 draft. We may got Luko,Rozee.

By the time we extended him we'd have been lucky to get an early second. Well engined C graders could tag him out of the game, he was not a premier mid anymore. Plus he had that foot injury that further discounts trade value. No problem keeping him, even the length of contract not really an issue. Where we went horribly wrong was paying him as if he was a Pendles quality mid. He's always been a grinder and as the body starts to fail, class is what maintains value. Sloane has little class in a footballing sense, he's all heart and grunt.

I doubt he would give up the captaincy willingly, he probably thinks he is the solution. Will probably have a tantrum if the selection committee don't give him a golden ticket.

Like Roo the footy director, club plumbs the depths during his reign but he thinks we need him to stick around to right the ship. ******* delusional.

By the time we extended him we'd have been lucky to get an early second. Well engined C graders could tag him out of the game, he was not a premier mid anymore. Plus he had that foot injury that further discounts trade value. No problem keeping him, even the length of contract not really an issue. Where we went horribly wrong was paying him as if he was a Pendles quality mid. He's always been a grinder and as the body starts to fail, class is what maintains value. Sloane has little class in a footballing sense, he's all heart and grunt.
Agree but weren't St Kilda heavily into him. We renewed his contract on big $ and 5 years.

Agree but weren't St Kilda heavily into him. We renewed his contract on big $ and 5 years.

He got big $ from us because we'd lost Danger and others. He wasn't the only player over-contracted, our club makes decisions more on optics than a genuine desire to wear decisions required to seriously compete in the top few for multiple years. We're seeing it again with our version of a rebuild. Need to put all efforts in competing for the bottom part of the 8 again. We're throwing everything at that.

He got big $ from us because we'd lost Danger and others. He wasn't the only player over-contracted, our club makes decisions more on optics than a genuine desire to wear decisions required to seriously compete in the top few for multiple years. We're seeing it again with our version of a rebuild. Need to put all efforts in competing for the bottom part of the 8 again. We're throwing everything at that.

Sad that I knew who wrote this post without seeing the heading. Can we give the “bottom part of the 8” a rest. Almost every post you do is referring to that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sad that I knew who wrote this post without seeing the heading. Can we give the “bottom part of the 8” a rest. Almost every post you do is referring to that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
At least he’s not referring to the “brown note”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back